The Black Lives Matter movement

Let’s see how this goes.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/starbucks-to-close-8000-us-stores-for-racial-bias-training/ar-AAvZ695

"While this is not limited to Starbucks, we’re committed to being a part of the solution," said Starbucks Chief Executive Kevin Johnson, who has apologised for the “reprehensible” arrests of the two men and taken responsibility for the incident.

Maybe he means it.

That’s a pretty dramatic commitment. Of course whether it will change anything we will have to see.

Yeah, that’s millions of dollars in payroll and lost revenue. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Yeah, that strikes me as a legit action. IDGAF about Starbucks, but good on them.

It’s a good start. If they want this to have a lasting effect, the people at the top of the organization have to continue to make it important to them. One and done won’t accomplish much. It has to become part of an ongoing conversation.

The problem with these types of actions is that it doesn’t cover the new employees starting after May 29. What are they going to do for new, incoming employees?

Training class step one: how to meekly accept being cursed at!

Jesus, fuck retail. Just nuke every customer.

Well, they could have avoided it by letting the person(s) use the restroom, just as reportedly another person had been allowed to not a half-hour before without buying anything. But that person was white. These guys didn’t look like homeless dudes off the street either, if that was the attempted justification.

@Tman I would hope that they’d institute some implicit racial bias testing and follow-up training for new hires.

My thoughts as well.

Oh, no, a swear word. Call the cops!

“He was no angel.”
Every single fucking time.

My point was, that even if one or both of them did swear in that situation, people do tend to react viscerally to being treated unfairly.

So I’m guessing that Starbucks’ 2015 “Race Together” initiative wasn’t a success then.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/03/22/394710277/starbucks-will-stop-writing-race-together-on-coffee-cups

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/986658338426556417?s=19

The mayor and school officials said they aren’t sure whether the flag demonstrations are racially motivated, but the school’s few black students say they have proof.

City and school officials say they’re monitoring the Confederate flag demonstration, but they say they can’t do much about it.

“They’re doing their legal constitutional duty,” said Mayor Lee Kilbourn.

“I’m not saying I’m supporting it or for or against it, but people in this country have to start realizing we have to tolerate all peoples’ views,” the mayor added. “That’s preached a lot out of Washington and a lot of other places, but it’s not practiced. Democrats don’t like Republicans’ views and Republicans don’t like Democrats’ views. People have to grow up and need to respect other peoples’ views.”

There is no neutral. The mayor supports racism if he won’t speak against it.

I’m with you. This is not a case of preferring one flavor of ice cream over another. While it’s true that people have a right to have their own views, people also have a right to not be persecuted or enslaved. I’ve always thought that one person’s rights end where another person’s begin. So no, they don’t have a right to voice that view, imo.

Part of America is the right to free speech. Love it or hate I think it is one of the things that makes this country unique and great.

Denying people the right to say something inherently stupid is a dangerous thing. Sure it’s racist, but anyone with a brain knows that and those saying it should be condemned, but they have the right to say it.

Did you read the article? They’re boxing in other cars? Tormenting kids in class. And there are a million ways the mayor could talk about free speech and still call what they’re doing racist. He also has the ability to speak out against what is wrong but he wants easy. I’m not giving it to him.

Then they are probably violating a law or two and the free speech thing is not an issue. Arrest their asses.