The Black Lives Matter movement

On the bright side, at least he acknowledges that the players are actually protesting police behavior. Most Republicans seem to want to pretend that they’re just protesting the Anthem.

To quote the titular character in The Postman, “stuff is getting better” - right? Killed in his own garage because police said he was pointing a gun at them. Despite the fact a gun was found on his body in his back pocket. Hmm, nothing to see here I guess.

$4 for funeral expenses.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jury-awards-4-family-man-122406421.html

The worst part about this, aside from the man they killed, is they just opened fire on a garage. They didn’t know who or what else was in there. Clearly he was not firing back. They just unloaded into a house… they could have killed a number of other people and literally don’t care.

I guess they figured the extra few dollars that would have been awarded would be worth it. The clear message to the country is DON’T CALL THE COPS if you don’t want people killed for various minor offenses. Or CALL THE COPS if you want your neighbor possibly shot for playing music too loud or being black or being drunk or being white but in the wrong place at the wrong time, etc.

So damn true.

Or, as some see it, call the cops to kill your black neighbors and some… do.

And we can replace black neighbor with mentaly ill person or Muslim or just a guy or gal you don’t like and hope the cop is having a bad day. Because killing people or imprisoning them for life has suddenly become a default for a disagreement.

So, if we can’t convince most Americans that this isn’t ok, then we have a society where you can’t trust the police and you shouldn’t ever talk to or call them. Which is what black people have been dealing with for decades but applied to everyone in the country.

I don’t want to live in that society and I’m sad that it got this bad before I could see that it is what black people have been dealing with. But we really need to address this ASAP. And I think the only way is changing hearts and minds so that juries come back with convictions and real punishments for this sort of behavior.

That and voting out the worst of the worst. And also probably removing the Republican party from power in every part of society.

I thought that headline was missing the word “million.” I guess not.

What a dickish move on the part of the jury. Even if they find the victim at fault (which seems pretty sketch), you don’t award his children a dollar each. Christ.

I’m a white middle-aged guy and I have no desire to call the cops unless it’s a life or death situation. I don’t blame my black or other minority friends from avoiding contact with them at all costs. Even asking directions could turn into a police-justified shooting these days.

It is insulting, and probably deliberately so.

Also incredibly sad and/or pathetic about this, I’d be willing to bet that many of the people that would look at this story and think “Oh, well the guy deserved it for having a gun on his person when the cops were around” (even though he was alone in his own garage) will somehow also think that it’s perfectly fine for a white man to walk around town openly armed with a rifle, etc, to show off their 2nd amendment rights.

I am going to display my foreign colours here prominently and query why anyone is carrying a gun.

That said, if it is a right then it should be an equal right.

There’ll be NRA-loving, gun-toting idiots that walk into police stations fully armed, just to strut their 2nd amendment rights. But these same morons would pull their guns or call the cops if they saw a black man doing the same thing. Just all folds into the fact that the NRA and gun crowd itself is extremely racist, which ties into the GOP & Trump, etc.

Note how these men are alive & well because they’re white:

I understand that you are making an overarching general point about firearms. But you should realize that saying this in the context of discussing a specific incident like this sounds like you are implying “well, he had a gun, so that means the shooting was justified”.

I read that the other way around - that he’s saying the black guy in the garage should definitely be allowed to have it on his person and not be shot. Could be wrong but that’s how I took it.

I live in a heavy hunting area. We go to the woods on occasion to hunt for mushrooms or others go actual hunting. The responsible gun owners not only tell us they own guns, but they will ask the entire group if it’s okay for them to bring the gun. They’re generally a respectful group.

Trump, Confederate flag hugging, and Neo-Nazis show up at Costco with guns strapped to their back.

This guy was in his home. He wasn’t even in public. I don’t know if they mentioned if that gun was registered but it wasn’t like he was running around threatening anyone.

In my ideal world, there’d be no guns at all but I know that’s just a pipe dream at this point. Maybe if a study determines that guns cause testicular cancer or irreversible erectile dysfunction, that’d be enough to sway men to give them up? Or maybe it would take penises literally falling off if you grab a gun to make headway.

Yup, owning a gun is proof of racism. So is driving a pick up and knowing a country western song.

I didn’t take it like that. I thought he just asked the basic un-American question of why does anyone think they need to carry a gun. I saw the question as being more generic than just something about this death.

Yep, owning a gun is obviously what I meant by “gun crowd”.