The Black Lives Matter movement

I endorse this proposal unreservedly.

Why did she want them to leave? What does it matter if someone sells water on a street, on their porch… maybe 20 years ago you could call the cops, they might ask them to go and that was it. In this date and age, calling the police is asking to escalate an unarmed situation to an armed and potentially lethal situation, over water.

Because she’s a racist.

I used to have a friend who lived in Riverset Apartments in Memphis. It’s in a pretty nice neighborhood called Harbortown on Mud Island.

Wearing socks in a pool is damned weird, but knowing he was getting in and out to tend to the kids and that the surrounding concrete was quite warm, it makes some sense. But doesn’t seem like it was about the socks, so…

Were they tan socks?

I thinks socks in pools is disgusting. You’re supposed to rinse before getting into a common pool and I imagine socks prevents the smell being washed off.

If the chemicals are properly balanced, there is nothing really to worry about. And if it’s a public pool with kids, socks are not really the most disgusting thing going on in there.

I wonder if they call the cops when the smelly white people don’t rinse before using the pool? I’m thinking probably not.

http://icelandmag.is/article/video-beware-icelandic-vigilante-shower-wardens

Just to be clear, it’s bull calling the police for socks. But, some cultures to take public pool hygiene more seriously than others.

Maybe we need to create a new Dispute Resolution Force that’s not the cops, but are the folks you call when you need a mediator to help with a situation.

I just can’t believe (and by that I mean totally can believe) all these mean white people using the police as their dispute resolution solution. Wearing socks to a pool? I mean yeah, that’s gross and stupid, but the correct answer is to handle it through the leasing office. Have them write a letter to the tenant and fine them or remove their pool privileges.

But clearly this wasn’t about wearing socks to the pool. If the guy wasn’t wearing socks, they would have found some other reason to be angry about him being there.

It’s because white people are terrified of black people. In a nutshell. It’s part of the reason why a lot of this (not all by any means of course) is coming from white women; because they’re afraid.

Strangely, though, it seems to be the white people who are instigating the confrontation. If they were afraid, you wouldn’t expect that.

My supposition though is that - i mean obviously there are degrees of racism here - some are definitely weaponizing the police, and some are just afraid of black people and run to the police and refuse to even speak with black people, and there is some spectrum in between these.

Since i’m tired and functionally equivalent of a bit tipsy, i’ll say that almost certainly you could reduce police shootings, calls to the police, ect by white people if you literally told white people “look at their clothes”. Because all white people are seeing is a black man or women (or child). If you force them to think about their reaction for half a second - even if the solution is incredibly unpalatable to say out loud for all sorts of reasons - like, make this a PSA or something, i suspect you’d double digit reduce police shootings, calls to the police in general, ect.

No, it makes sense. Fight or flight. The ones that cross the street, hold their hand bags, or avoid certain communities, we don’t hear about those racists unless they are calling the police on kids and parents. We instead hear about the racists that decide to ‘fight’.
Sadly, this does mean that there are a lot more racists out their that what we see or hear about. Hopefully we aren’t dealing with an iceberg situation.

It’s got to be the tip because even today, not everything is recorded.

It’s a two part problem. You’ve got racists who have been emboldened and you have a police force that doesn’t seem to see the problem of being a tool for them or don’t care enough because well they’ve got power and want to use it on someone. The police show-up and often escalate a problem that never should have happened to begin with. The only, only reason some of these people are being punished for their approaches is because some employers are responding appropriately.

I agree it’s the tip, I just hope it’s not an Iceberg level tip, where 90% of it is unseen.

I would love it if what we are seeing is everything. Then we could just round these people up (including the cops) and put them in cages (we are doing that these days, right?) and call it a day.

If I was a pool manager and I had a policy about clothing and someone wouldn’t obey that policy (after it was pointed out to them) I would ask them to leave, and if they refused to I would absolutely call the police as they would be trespassing. In the US scenario I don’t know what I would do, I guess I would have to emphasize to the police that they’d been polite and non-confrontational (regardless of their actual behaviour).

If I was a pool manager and only enforced the policy on black people I would be a racist.