The Black Lives Matter movement

What is this “perfect storm” of circumstances that led her to hang a toddler? Judge says it won’t happen again. I guess so, because nobody would ever let that woman near a toddler again.

I mean… This isn’t like someone accidentally killing a child by leaving them in a hot car or something like that. This is making a freaking noose, inserting the neck, hanging them, watching them suffer. That’s fucked up.

So she’s just insane. Okay. Fine. Aren’t they supposed to confine you in a psychiatric ward and heavily medicate you then? I don’t get how this works.

Kids man, they will drive you crazy.

Yeah, this would normally be a case of adjudication into a psych ward for a looong time.

But she goes home or something, because reasons.

This one could have gone here or in the #metoo thread, maybe. Kind of a feel-good story for nerds like us who actually like data and want to believe that logic and evidence can actually sway people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/he-thought-white-men-were-vanishing-from-tv-i-disagreed-so-we-conducted-an-experiment/2018/07/18/cc727640-8905-11e8-8aea-86e88ae760d8_story.html

But Tom also seemed to exemplify a fear expressed, in ways both articulate and vague, by a lot of men in the post-#MeToo era. There are Reddit threads full of guys claiming they’re now treated as pariahs. Op-eds asking whether all this social awareness has gone too far. The terrifying panic, whispered at dinner tables and in conference rooms, that white men are being erased.

Who the hell “notices” that there are fewer white men on TV and applies a negative judgement to that? Even if were true, who cares? Does he think that advertisers are going to abandon the group totally?

This all feels like “economic anxiety” to me. This guy is a misogynist and is hiding it by pretending that it’s really just about representation of white men on the TV shows/commercials he watches.

Even if there were fewer white men on TV, and you’re worried about it, just, like, go outside. They’re everywhere.

That may be part of the problem. If you live in an old-timey White community that isn’t seeing a lot of hispanic “invaders” then seeing all these brown people on your wholesome TV seems more like a serious deviation.

Oh, my god! They’re in my house! I just looked in the mirror and Aiiiieeeeeeee!

I’m not interested in “understanding” these assholes any more than I was about coming to grips with all the economic anxiety under President Obama.

That’s one way of looking at it. Or, this guy is a racist/misogynist but has been lying about it to himself.

I honestly believe that most (<-- please note) bigots do not actually believe that they are unjustly prejudiced against anyone - they believe things in their own minds to be true that justifies their attitudes.

“I’m not racist, but black people are mostly lazy. It’s part of their culture. If we take away their welfare, they’ll learn to work harder - just like white people do - and then they won’t be lazy any more.”

“I’m not misogynistic - if I hire a woman under 40 she’ll eventually run off to have a baby, so it’s not worth the money to train her. That’s just basic biological fact.”

If we take the article at face value, this guy was presented with hard evidence (notably collected by himself) that challenged his beliefs and got him to reevaluate his attitudes.

Yep, now all we have to do is do that about 50 million more times and we’ll have solved it!

Optimism!

Not that we have to do it 50M times, but that we’d ONLY have to do it 50M times.

It’s the same people who think, “Press 1 for English” means that their country is gone.

Not sure where this should go, so I’ll just put it here.

Sorry for the tangent. Whatever happened to @nesrie? She’s been gone for almost a week.

Thanks for pointing it out. I expected her in the Wampus thread, at least when racism came up. I hope she is okay.

Was wondering the same thing earlier today.

Thank you for sharing.

I am under the impression that France actually has a big problem because they refuse to acknowledge ethnicity in the census or government work, making it hard to measure the impact of racism. So there is no way to easily check if officials are allowing their prejudices get the better of them.

Just because the government doesn’t measure it, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist.

It wouldn’t surprise me if she didn’t feel welcome after certain recent events.

In other news:

France has always been very much egalité, fraternité, liberté and making everyone conform to french values, and not multicultural as an idealogy, like in England.

Pros and cons.

It’s remarkably easy to find areas of England where people don’t understand English, and I’m not referring to first generation immigrants either. Some have come over and created enclaves, for lack of a better word, actively refusing to integrate with English culture and norms.

And no I’m not referring to the normal process of concentrations of, say, Poles, speaking mostly in Polish, because they learn English quite quickly.

This kind of thing is heavily frowned upon in France, and practically celebrated in England.

My local council has things available in about 10 different languages, of which about 7 are non-European.

If I remember the council when I was in France right, it was French or get the fuck out.

Superbly arrogant about maintaining certain things, e.g. a creme brulee has to be a creme brulee, and god forbid you change it, and you must speak French if you want to live in France.

Note at this point, I am not passing judgement on either system, and I am relying on my memory of living in France for a year. It was a while ago, but I’m not speaking out of my arse. I’m attempting to explain/mansplain/eurosplain/britsplain/keyboardwarriorsplain potentially why the Ambassador was unhappy.

So, French people, and especially French politicians and foncionnaires, tend to buy heavily into the idea of French is French,

Also, recall that their colonial policy was of assimilation. Being from Algeria when it was a colony was, ideally, the same as being from Calais.

So, french people, even allowing for the racial tensions (especially in Marseilles, I’ve heard that place is…tense) identify themselves as French first, with possibly a parent or grand parent from somewhere else.

it’s a great point of pride for them.

So, that football team was French, and for a French person, especially a french politician, and especially an AMBASSADOR, saying that the team was in fact foreign, not French, is a bit of an insult.

Plus, that statement, that “Africa won the world cup,” is essentially meaningless. I hasten to remind you all that Africa has some 50 odd countries, with disparate languages and ethnicities in each country (exception Somalia, ironically the most violent of them all is the most ethnically homogenous) so sweeping statements such as “Africa this or that,” (or Europe this or that for that matter) are not just useless, but imho counter productive.

To then infer that from a very French team composed of all sorts of colours, that the world cup somehow was won by a different continent altogether, smells to me of attempted political or other agenda pointscoring.

To illustrate the silliness of the concept, this is the New England Patriots team. They won the superbowl in 2017.

I count a whopping 58 black people there.

From this I can confidently assert that Liberia won the super bowl.