The Black Lives Matter movement

The impression I got when I was in Madrid was of them being much more dictatorial. To be fair alot of that was based off my teachers at the time, and also looking into getting the DELE qualification.

To be fair though, the fact that such a body exists at all is interesting in its own right.

Yep, it’s being lost, because people don’t use it, so the academy adapts to the changes.

I don’t like it either, since it introduces imprecisions, but it’s true that 99% of my students would never be able to place those “tildes” correctly. It is a somewhat cumbersome rule for an age of fast writing.

I do think it’s the right move to accept the language is changing and move on, even if I will keep writing those “tildes” (currently, both versions are “correct”).

I don’t recall if I learnt that use of tildes but the previous sentence :

Sus palabras no fueron ésas

Makes perfect sense to me.

Those weren’t his words.

His words weren’t those.

Not sure I’d notice if the tilde wasn’t there though.

The meaning still holds right, with:

Sus palabras no fueron esas.

Interestingly my phone wanted to auto correct to ésas.

Your phone is part of the apparatus of the police state.

Because ésas was the only correct choice until a couple of years ago or so.

Except most Spanish speaking people would not use the accent (bad writing) so the academy conceded both uses are now correct.

In a way, similar to the “begs the question” issue in English, only that here you have an official “observatory” body.

By the way, shouldn’t we resume discussing racial matters?

Not sure if racist but I saw an “Ethiopian” restaurant here with all white servers serving a total of 2 Ethiopian dishes and a lot of beetroot and garbanzo dishes.

Didn’t see a single njera any where.

And it was labelled AFRIKA.

cultural appropriation? Acceptable? Not?

I just wanted some real Ethiopian food!!!

I’ll visit Barcelona in August and have already googled a proper Ethiopian.

You are in a tourist trap ;)… hard to get proper anything other than local cuisine…

Are your students native Spanish speakers, or foreign learners? Because honestly if you’re a native speaker it’s not that hard to learn to write the accents in the right place (because you know how the word is stressed, and the rules are trivially easy).

And that second part makes me twitch. What’s next, dropping all the silent h’s and writing “As visto la nueva pelicula de Iron Man, el ombre de ierro?” I hope I’m dead before that happens (I have relatives who are that barely literate, unfortunately, because they came to the US as teenagers and their parents [who weren’t illiterate themselves] never bothered to have them read books in Spanish).

And sorry for the derail.

Native. Proper Ortography is hard to come by, even b vs. v issues pop up here and there, and the “h” appears and disappears at will. You even get a c vs. k conflict once in a while (but I will strike those down hard).

Mobile phones and text messaging has destroyed many of the proper usage rules…

In English too!

Oh man, now you’ve given me a hankering. We used to have a great Ethiopian place here in Portland called Jarra’s. Was around for about 30 years. The food was amazing but in later years the service went to hell because the paterfamilias was CHEAP with a capital C and didn’t want to hire enough staff, so you’d get there and sometimes it would take a half hour for someone to even come to your table and take your order, and often you’d wait an hour+ to actually get your food. I finally stopped going due to that. There has been maybe one that was halfway comparable in terms of the food, but none its equal since.

Now you’re talking. Some nice guys from Yemen opened a garage-front place just down the street. Their food is outstanding, and they are really interesting people to talk with.

I am a stickler for proper spelling and grammar, even in texts.

Especially in texts.

Also @Papageno is that place still around? I’ve never had Ethiopian food, but always wanted to try. And I just moved to Portland (today in fact) so … hook a brother up ;)

Alas, Jarra’s closed years ago. There’s a place on N Killingsworth sort of near the PCC campus that’s OK.

And of course, welcome to Portland! What neighborhood are you in?

Not sure yet. Work is in Hillsboro, so probably Beaverton-Hillsboro area. I’m only setting up temporary for a bit until I can arrange more permanent for my family in a month or two

Good luck Craig! Moving cross country is A Thing for sure.

Interesting article:

And recall what I said about French sensitivities ?

Goddammit I hate twitter. Where’s the date and location of this event?

Ah…Buffalo, NY… 7/24/2018.

Extreme Couponing isn’t just for white people, it’s for the world… well, except for that one lady.