The board game market is seriously dysfunctional

I’ve been into the new age of boardgaming for over a dozen years. I have backed less than 20 boardgame Kickstarters over those years. And I disagree with your assessment.

But that’s because I have bought enough boardgames and know what I like enough that my KS FOMO is pretty much completely gone. If I buy a boardgame there, it’s usually a reprint with a proven track record or expansion for a game I already enjoy.

Otherwise, I watch boardgame reviews, buy from local shops or buy second hand on a gamers group.

My collection has grown up to 170 board games and is down to about 100 now. I own out of print games. Big games. Small games. My reduced selection is all games we’d be happy to play pretty much any time.

And you know what? The notion that you can’t find good boardgames to play or that you are missing out if you don’t spend your life and savings on BGG/KS is not my experience one bit. In this day and age, every genre and type of boardgame you might want to play is out there and more come out constantly.

The good games which aren’t relying on the strength of minis and FOMO will be available eventually; in shops or from the publisher’s site.

Thinking the boardgame market and good games are limited to KS leads to a blinkered, FOMO driven vision of boardgaming, IMO. The bling and shiny campaign does not a game I’ll play for a long time make. And if I really want it, I’ll find it somewhere.

And I’m saying that as someone who does spend time reading the list of new projects every week.

Shops and second hand (once in a while) are the heart of boardgaming. And, IMO, it’s nowhere near as dysfunctional a market as some seem to think.