The bone-dry sci-fi of Stellaris, a game that doesn't even work

They should issue a patch which renames it Stellaris: NEXT

It’s Stellaris, Jim, but not as we know it.

Seriously though, wow! If they pull this off what an accomplishment.

I would complain about taking resources away from the PC version, but they are also doing a huge amount of work there. I guess it shows a lot of confidence in the long-term vision of the game, even as they are in the middle of open-heart surgery.

Seriously it sounds like half of you suck at the game, and the other half don’t like 4x games. This game is really great, and a lot better than Sins of a Solar empire in my opinion, mostly because it can run smoother on bigger maps with tons of things going on, you can decide to micromanage or just play more of a complex 4x risk style game. Star wars empire at war was decent but I hated the land engagements, so I’m glad this game made it more of a risk style battle for planetary surface fights. The level of complexity is almost unrivaled, so many different play styles, and now that the game has been updated and has tons of DLC’s many of the issues you guys whine and complain about have been fixed. I swear none of you have done this game any justice, or taken the time to read Reddit and other forums for strategy and playstyle tips. If you think the AI sucks, then get the AI tweak mod. The DLC has given this game a lot of love, from titans and juggernauts to planet killers and megastructures, this game is massive, and is not for the average player who plays easy to play games that require little to no thought. The guy complaining about only being able to build 1 fleet and whines about the fleet taking resources literally has no clue how to play, and last I checked that dynamic is pretty realistic considering you need a supply chain in a modern military, you need to feed people, things take resources, every other game is not realistic in that sense and thats typically why there is pop limits, but this game lets you take a resource hit to temporarily boost your fleet during war time and if you have enough resources saved up it can make a lot of sense to do this. Seriously it’s like you all sucked so hard and decided to moan and whine online because you don’t know how to google stuff. It’s pretty sad honestly, and other review sites are not as biased as this one. Shame on ya’ll for not updating the review for this game after all these years of improvements and developments. I’ll admit this game has a steep learning curve, but once you get good at it, its pretty enjoyable and many of my friends also enjoy it and we play together.

This is fucking glorious. I love it the most.

Tom’s reviews, the gift that keeps on giving.

Dude, tell us how you really feel. :)

As a fan of the game, I’d say 4 years later Tom still isn’t wrong in any of the scrambled together revisions of the game. If you have to mod it, roleplay the “different” play styles and google how to have fun (besides ignoring the speed and micro intensity, because lol automation), it’s not a great game. It’s a game you can love, and I do, but it is a mess.

Don’t listen to these people. I’m thrilled that they kept updating the original unfinished turd and that there are people who were willing to keep giving money to Paradox until they polished away some of the turdier bits. In times like this, blind loyalty benefits all of us and I’m happy there might be a game there worthy of my time some day thanks to gamers like you.

Yeah, because no one could actually really like this game since you didn’t. As I have said 100x, just because Qt3 didn’t like the game, doesn’t mean the rest of the gaming community didn’t like it.

Blind loyalty is a good thing here, it gave us a better game.

@Michael_Z is the hero we need AND deserve. A true Christmas miracle.

And for the record I really enjoyed the game before the pop rework. But it’s pretty much a pile of smoldering micromanagement hell now. I realize I could roll back the version but I played Stellaris plenty. I can still hold out hope Stellaris 2 might be better.

Its almost like it is too perfect, this response, and checks every single box off?

Tom, please go back and replay every game you ever reviewed, especially the ones you disliked, and try every combination of mods on them. Otherwise, shame on you!

All of us :(

Welcome to the community!

This review really did not age well. Like, it died when the first patch of the game was released, lol. Guess that’s what happens when your review is pure bias bs. Don’t know if you’ve learned your lesson, but next time, keep things pro. At least separate your own biased score from the actual “how-it-is as a game” score. It’s not it’s that hard to say "I hated it, but it’s not the worst game out there., but no, has to be 1/5, worse than a pinball game.

review is 1/5, feels like a kid throwing a tantrum 'cause things didn’t go the way he wanted to. cheers.

I rate your post 1/5 cause it feels like a kid throwing a tantrum 'cause review didn’t go the way he wanted to. cheers.

The game sucked on launch, Tom’s review was based on the copy he got on launch. There’s no omniscience, he can not see into the future and how a game might evolve some 30-40-50 patches, 3 different development leads, countless DLC from the time it was written.

Welcome to the community, be less of a troll and you might like it here.

Either way, its still the most overrated game of the decade. Missing the grand strategy, still has way too much micromanagement and falls apart after an hour. Still no decent diplomacy. 1/5 was fair at launch and is fair now. Well maybe 1.5/5 now. Its baby’s first 4x. Theres plenty of 4x’s out there that are far superior.

And yeah your post sounded real pouty.

“Bias” is the perfect shibboleth when discussing reviews. Maybe not the way the author ever intends, but perfect nonetheless.