The bone-dry sci-fi of Stellaris, a game that doesn't even work

I'm sure Tom knows that. That doesn't mean he has to agree that that's a good design decision.

1/2 Star to this post.

Dude, read more strategy game reviews.

But to answer your (fake) questions: Star Ruler 2, the entire GalCiv series, Sins of a Solar Empire, anything with an acronym that sounds like the noise a cow makes. Etc.

I wrote the manual for GalCiv 2 back in, uh, 2000 something?

Interestingly enough, the folks who made Sword of the Stars decided that disqualified me from ever reviewing a game with anything space in it, anything with strategy in it, or anything with gameplay in it. Naturally, I disagree.

Everything I write is something I honestly believe. And while I have been paid for my opinions, I have never been paid to have a specific opinion. That is not for sale. :)

I do! I love them. They might be my favorite genre. Check out some of the other reviews on this site!

Pray tell us what he has not grasped. I didn't work it out from your definitely not vacuous reply.

I don't know anything about Paradox's comments on the IGN review and all I know about the IGN review is that it's borderline negative. I'm guessing a 7 on the 7-9 scale?

But I've been told that Paradox will never deal with me, and that they furthermore weren't supposed to deal with me on this game. Me getting a press code was apparently a mistake.

Oh no, no rules violated at all. Comments sections are the lawless wild west! And any help promoting my reviews, podcasts, stream, Tweets, or anything else is much appreciated!

I'd think someone who's spent 1600 hours with EU4 might have glanced at the lower right side of the screen. Give it a shot for your 1601st hour! :)

Close. 6.3 The review is actually pretty good. Their criticisms largely align with yours.

http://www.ign.com/articles/20...

Here's their statement:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show...

I like the interplay of ship sizes, weaponry, defenses, and utilities. For instance, the unique utilities battleships get. Or the way point defense eliminate damage while shields and armor mitigate it. This gives energy, kinetic, and missile weapons unique roles. It's a lot more gratifying and nuanced than the usual straight-up paper/rock/scissors. I like how it also means smaller ships aren't obsoleted in favor of bigger and more expensive ships. That's distinct from a lot of strategy games.

That it is also poorly balanced isn't surprising. I never tried an all-corvette fleet. Given the ineffectiveness of the AI during combat, I didn't really feel the need to look for ways to exploit it.

But, really, it's almost as if different people can have different opinions about different parts of a game! Amazing, right? :)

Visually, yeah, it gets messy. The endgame battles with stacks of doom buried under buff and debuff effects is flat-out absurd. But have you checked out all the feedback you get during a battle? I really liked that element, even after the battles became a formality of slamming shuffling blobs into each other.

Nope, mistake on my part! Thanks for the correction. I do, however, know how to correctly spell Gerald's name from The Witcher.

Absolutely! Not that this is relevant to a review. But I do look forward to seeing what Paradox does with Stellaris after the inevitable patching and DLC add-ons. For what it's worth, there's a LOT of room for DLC. :)

Well, at least you like 6% of my reviews. So we've got that going for us.

Yep, I had this discussion when I first started playing the game. I think it's a bad idea to hide those, forcing me to fight a faction without knowing where it can move. Basically, I'm being punished for not going through the tedious busywork of studying ship movements. Ugh.

That said, if I were to keep playing, I could just play games with only the hyperlanes. I like how they force a structure and flow onto the map, where the nebula do a pretty poor job creating any sense of terrain. But it's worth noting an all hyperlanes map further robs the different factions of any identity. That's the LAST thing Stellaris needs. :(

That's cool. The rating is only a reflection of how much I like a game. There's no reason anyone should necessarily share that opinion.

Have you tried Star Ruler 2? I love that one. And I'm well acquainted with Distant Worlds. I'm not remember which are the Star Drive games, so I'll go take a look. Thanks for the tip, Mr. Poe!

Yep, definitely don't read anything you disagree with. Nothing can be learned from it.

As someone who read the review (and listened to the 3MA podcast on this) but has not played the game, I didn't get that. I read it as an omission rather than a decision.