The Book Thread - September 2005

Making my way through the “Complete Aubrey & Maturin Novels” (a very nice edition, by the way). Right now: The Surgeon’s Mate.

Christopher Moore’s “Fluke” and James Swain’s “Mr. Lucky.”

The Aubrey/Maturin books are so good!

Reading The Dark Water by David Pirie. If you are a Sherlock Holmes fan, I recommend these books- the other two being: The Night Calls and The Patient’s Eyes.

I’m tearing through “The Risen Empire” by Scott Westerfeld.

I picked it up after Cory Doctorow recommended him, and it’s fantastic. Rip-roaring galactic-emipre drama told through an incredibly tight time frame (hours so far), and every time I have a question about the functionality or plausability of the universe he’s created the book is right there to answer it.

[quote=“madkevin”]

The drummer for The Damned remakes Monty Python?[/quote]

Well, yeah. It is about Rat Scabies from the Damned. It’s written by his next door neighbor, and it’s about an adventure they both went on to find the actual Holy Grail. Very entertaining.

Ether Day: The Strange Tale of America’s Greatest Discovery and the Haunted Men Who Made It, Julie Fenster. [size=2]On Ether Day, I always wear my fethtive ether bonnet[/size]! I love medical history – it makes me so grateful to live post-discovery-of-anesthesia. Also The Swoop! And Other Stories, P.G. Wodehouse. Funniest writer ever.

The drummer for The Damned remakes Monty Python?[/quote]

Well, yeah. It is about Rat Scabies from the Damned. It’s written by his next door neighbor, and it’s about an adventure they both went on to find the actual Holy Grail. Very entertaining.[/quote]

I had to Google this to make sure you weren’t kidding which, it would appear, you are not. That’s a definite must-read for me.

Just finished…

The Da Vinci Code – Yeah, I know. Shut up. It was awful, but fuckiing Crime and Punishment in comparison with Angels and Demons.

The Warriors – Novel that inspired the movie, by Sol Yurick. Very disappointing. Sort of a poor’s man’s Last Exit to Brooklyn.

Just starting…

Shelby Foote’s Civil War epic – Been wanting to read this for a long time.

So far…

“Eleven on Top…” or whatever the name of the new Evanovitch novel is. Not bad. Trying to break out of the formula she got herself into.

“All the flowers are dying” latest Scudder by Block. Very well done.

Starting “The Historian” boy, does this sucker start of slow.

Great to hear. I picked that up a while back (can’t recall if I read a recommendation or it just looked interesting) but haven’t taken it off the shelf yet.

I finished last night, and loved it. If I could find any flaw it’s that it’s about evenly great all the way through.

Let me also warn you that if you like it, it’s going to pay to have the 2nd one handy.

There’s a second one? Is it out in paperback?

Ja und ja.

The Everpresent Origin
Imaginary Landscape: Making Worlds of Myth and Science
Dreamways of the Iroquois

Been patiently waiting for Amazon to send Rat Scabies for a few weeks, with a month to go.

EDIT: forgot to mention what my 9-yr-old & I are reading together, D’Aulaires Book of Greek Myths.

On a Palahniuk binge - I just finished Fight Club and Survivor. Working on Invisible Monsters. I liked the Fight Club movie more than the book, which is a first for me, but on the whole I’d rate most of Palahniuk’s work as Very Good rather than Great. Lots of great lines and scenes, but very inconsistently written, with poor transitions between scenes and chapters.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that the new Neil Gaiman novel, Anansi Boys hits shelves some time this month. I’m a huge Gaiman fan and I’m looking forward to this one with great anticipation.