The Boys - Superhero Vigilantes with Karl Urban

In a world where superheroes embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame, THE BOYS centers on a group of vigilantes known informally as “The Boys,” who set out to take down corrupt superheroes with no more than their blue-collar grit and a willingness to fight dirty. THE BOYS is a fun and irreverent take on what happens when superheroes – who are as popular as celebrities, as influential as politicians and as revered as Gods – abuse their superpowers rather than use them for good. It’s the powerless against the super powerful as The Boys embark on a heroic quest to expose the truth about “The Seven,” and Vought – the multi-billion dollar conglomerate that manages these superheroes. Coming Summer 2019.

Ooo, cool. I assume this is the Ennis comic series?

Huge missed opportunity to cast Simon Pegg here. (He is really, really obviously the visual reference for the protagonist in the comics.)

I would have called the series unfilmable but I guess we’ll see. (I mean, Preacher was managed pretty successfully, if toned down by an order of magnitude. This is a show where Ruth Negga siphons gas through a man’s intestine and it’s toned down from the source material. Yeah.)

Karl Urban? Sold.

Yeah, I have a serious man crush on Karl.

Fuck yeah.

And Elizabeth Shue! This is going to be great!

My enthusiasm is tempered a bit by how dark/gory I remember the comic books being. Some of that I’m not sure I want to see on the screen.

They might just bowlderize it entirely. They did make Wanted into a movie, after all. On the other hand, that does feel like it was a different time in movies; who knows.

He always reminds me of that weird looking character portrait in Baldur’s Gate. The one nobody chooses.

Tiax_TIAX_Portrait_BG1

Ditto.

I stand in solidarity with my Karl Urban fan clubbers.

New trailer

Urban’s a good enough reason for me to give it a try.

All I can say is that it’s one of the most disturbing comic book series I’ve ever read through to completion. I cannot imagine how they’ll match the depths of the depravity, but from that trailer… well, they’re going to give it an honest go. But Wee Hughie isn’t going to be Scottish?

I really haven’t been paying attention, and only realized this was a thing today. The comic is an exercise in envelope pushing, and gets kinds dumb fairly often because of it. That said, I do like Karl Urban, and the trailer seems fun! I’ll check it out.

Karl Urban seems to be entering his Gerard Butler-clone phase.

So this is out. It’s pretty good.

They went different ways with a few things, but overall it works imo.

Watched the first episode. Not familiar with the source material, but really intense/dark/brutal. Interested to see where it goes.

Does Amazon use the Hulu method of weekly release of episodes for their shows? Or the Netflix method of dumping the whole season at once?

Whole season at once. Binge away!