The Capcomming of Soulcalibur V

Title The Capcomming of Soulcalibur V
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game reviews
When January 31, 2012

However you felt about Soulcalibur IV, you have to give it credit for its own sense of style and identity. I can safely say there was no other fighting game quite like Soulcalibur IV. I can say no such thing about Soulcalibur V..

Read the full article

Now I'm anticipating Tom's FFXIII-2 review.

I meant in that I'm not sure which way it's going to go!

Online options in a fighting game are for casuals. Hardcore players actually play against other people locally.

I welcome this direction from any fighting game series as I think competitive play is ultimately their raison d'etre. But I think this review was well done as far as getting your point of view across as a casual fan instead of criticizing the parts of the game you simply don't care about. At the same time, shouldn't critics approach a game from the perspective of what it s trying to accomplish rather than the game you wish it would be? To paraphrase one point in your review, if you want to play a game more like Soul Calibur IV, well, there's always Soul Calibur IV.

This review is really unfair in my opinion. I can understand opinions about single player content not being as robust (although I do not agree), but no complaints about the gameplay are specific enough to allow the reader to know what the complain is in the first place.

The "timed" guarding system is not required to block in the game. The reviewer makes it sound as if you can not hold the block button to block. It's called "Just Guard" and if you can anticipate when an attack will land, it allows you to punish the opponent instead of being pushed back. The reviewer complains about even having to use a block button in the first place ... Why not just have someone else do the review?

The reviewer is a casual fighting game player, I get that, but would it make sense to have someone who dislikes having to use the right analog to aim in a FPS game also have the responsibility of reviewing the newest Call of Duty game? Probably not.

Worst. Review. Ever.

"and a pointless leveling up system"You mean as pointless as 90% of the single player content you praise in fighters? lol

What does it even lack vs SC4? A challenge mode? Who really cares?

God forbid developers actually improve THE GAME ITSELF.

"However you felt about Soulcalibur IV, you have to give it credit for its own sense of style and identity. I can safely say there was no other fighting game quite like Soulcalibur IV. I can say no such thing about Soulcalibur V."
SC4 was fucked up in several ways in terms of the gameplay itself.(balance, move design, etc) Soul Calibur 5 stands out as one of the few(only?) 3d fighters that has a meter system, a diverse cast in terms of weaponry and unique gameplay(like for Viola and Zwei), and better mobility than most traditional 3d fighters. The design regarding offense/defense is looking a ton better than SC4.

SC5's character customization is better, period. You have more options for actually creating a character, not an arbitrary bundle of stats that impede the game. I guess you just want to win because you have +40% more attack than your opponent. lol

Next up from this reviewer: Chess gets 2 stars because of lack of single player content, and some game with awful mechanics and design gets 5 stars because it gives you a lot of fluff to parade the gameplay through.

I feel you miss the point of fighting games as a whole. Yes SCV has a terrible single player, but fighting games are about the mechanics and how well it plays. THAT is it's depth. Yes we live in an era where Mk9 did a great job, but after you beat that story mode, what justifies hours of play ALWAYS multiplayer. Special Mode from SC4 was a flop. Fun idea but very unbalanced and did not fair well except with the most casual of casual players.

I REALLY have to point out your 'offense' theory. Guarding is absolutely essential in SC and one of the biggest noobie mistakes you see is people constantly attacking and not respecting advantage (and it amazes me how they don't understand why they get perfected). Guarding is not too hard to learn in this game (which is why evasion, grabs, and guard break is so important to mix things up when mid/low doesn't work). If you are attacking always, you will lose to any decent player.

I feel you misunderstand this game and have judged it with false observations and focusing on the wrong elements. Fighting games are multiplayer first and foremost, single player is secondary and really should do little to harm the review. SCV has an amazing online mode (which is a shock!) which should easily account for casuals and competitive. Extra modes are fun fluff, but non essential.

Can t believe metacritics have this review in their database , might as well put all user review too .

I'm disappointed that SC5 doesn't have any kind of interesting single player; on the other hand, I really didn't care much for its implementation in SC4. I don't think the dungeon mode has ever been better than it was in SC2.

But I do think it's a little unfair to call this de-emphasis on single player content Capcomming. I'd much rather reserve that term in the event that Namco releases an Ultimate version of Soul Calibur 5 containing modest game updates for $40 retail. That's a Capcom practice far more worthy of derision.

You write the worst reviews. You clearly have no fucking clue how to play a fighting game. You say you are casual fighting game player and in my head I imagine a two year old trying to put square blocks into circle holes. You aren't a casual player, you're a fucking idiot.
If you suck at fighting games pass the review to someone else.

Tom please just kill yourself.

This website does not deserve to be on Metacritic for it's unfair reviews.

giving critics to online features gtfo here fighters were meant to played against someone u damn scrub go back reviewing hello kitty

What the fuck are you talking about

Might as well just have all reviews written by one guy you know and like

Whether you like Soul Calibur 5 is irrelevant to me (I'm a King of Fighters guy anyway), but if you want to go anywhere else besides...this site then I hope you take the time to learn the basic rules of journalism. Also, get an editor. A good one.

I just hate people who can't utilize four buttons instead of six is it that hard these days?

First UNGO site the worse naming review site from the anime that fell from good to absolute shit from one episode.

And now Quarter to Troll *sigh* what next your mother is a whore review site?

I can understand your point of view wanting to play this as a Single Player game. But to rate it so low based on just that I think is a disservice to it. I like many other people buy these games to play with other people and often skip the single player part all together. These games were made as vs arcade games at the core. To hear that they concentrated more on that side of things this time around actually makes me want to consider it as a purchase even more.