The Capcomming of Soulcalibur V

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T...

The stat based weapons where the worse thing about SCIV, moron. People who like that trash in fighting games are what's killing the genre.

Hell yea, wide ranging opinions of different reviewers who I don't agree with are just trolls!

So you don't like to block huh?

What a fantastically sweeping and short sighted statement.

Hells yea this guy totally deserves to die for not liking a game we have yet to play lolz

You, Rinsku, are an idiot.

Seems that way from what he wrote.

What the fuck is the point of your comment?

What other fighting franchise utilizes that feature? How is trying to do something new killing a genre that seems to be doing pretty well recently? What the fuck are you talking about?

He reviewed the game using his own bias to come at the game from a different angle than other reviewers. If you don't like it just find a website that suits your tastes.

I would give your mother a 2 out of 5. A decent ride but poor oral skills.

Yes because a review site can not feature alternative reviews. We must have conformity in our bland future, we must!

So, another low review score on a high profile game from Tom Chick? Imagine that!

This is getting ridiculous. I'm not a fan boy, I'm not a troll, and moreover, I am a very critical person. However, I simply cannot stand to let someone like Tom Chick talk trash about every single game that has a budged over 1,000 dollars. I can completely respect someone who gives an honest opinion about a game, because frankly, I too dislike quite a few big titles but I also have a deep respect for them when I know they are made well and are perfect for their target audience. You will probably never see me play a Madden game but I understand why they are great to the people who play them.

It's okay to go against the grain every once in awhile but it is pretty damn obvious with every single website Tom has worked for (and there is a long list of them) that he just wants to generate page views. If you're constantly going to talk trash about games and review them, then at least make the articles interesting, funny, or informed.

I went to game rankings today to check out some of the reviews for this title and without seeing the website, I noticed a 2 out of 5. Immediately I said "oh, I bet it's Tom Chick's site." Low and behold, here I am wasting my time giving this asshole a page view.

Give up Tom, everyone is sick of it.

Before you bother to spout bile at another person for having an opinion different than yours on the internets prefaced by what a reasonable person you are, you might want to check that your entire premise isn't utterly wrong:

http://www.reviewtrax.com/auth...

That's a tricky question, Amansm. Should reviewers criticize Transformers 3 for shallow characters, plot, and dialogue when it's really just trying to be a summer blockbuster? I tend to think we should expect all games to be good, and all sequels to be at least as good -- or at least as full featured -- as their predecessors. When a series dramatically shifts direction, as is the case with Soulcalibur, I think it's worth pointing out and evaluating. For some people, this might mean a positive review. I'm sure some folks will be delighted at Soulcalibur V.

And, yes, Soulcalibur IV will still have a place in my living room with the games I like. :)

Aaron, isn't the new blocking stuff pretty important in terms of retaliating against attacks and getting space for a character? I can pull of advancing guards pretty easily in Marvel vs. Capcom. I'm guessing if I ever wanted to progress in, say, the Legends mode in Soulcalibur V, that new blocking stuff is something I'd have to master.

Also, I guarantee you that of all the people reviewing games on Quarter to Three, I am the most qualified to review a fighting game. Trust me on that.

David, you're right about blocking. I was mostly being facetious in my comments about "the best offense". Consider it an indication of what a casual fighting game fan I am. :)

While I respect your comments on multiplayer being the most important aspect of a fighting game, I disagree strongly. Many of us approach many different kinds of games with different priorities. Some people play Modern Warfare 3 for the single-player campaign. Some for casual online play. Some for the prestige mode of hitting the max level. Some people play RPGs for the story, and others just for the mechanics. Some care about the technology in our graphics, whereas some prefer the actual artwork. Different people have different priorities in terms of how they play and judge their games.

For me, any multiplayer in a fighting game other than messing around with my friends is pretty much a lost cause. I find the online communities in fighting games afford no room for casual players. As such, I honestly couldn't care less that Soulcalibur V has a robust lobby function where we can get in line and watch the guys ahead of us fighting. I'm sure that's a great feature for some people, and those people probably couldn't care less that the game doesn't have the tower/dungeon mode.

But the bottom line is that my review is an account of my experience with the game. It will read differently from your review, because I feel that fighting games are first and foremost singleplayer and local multiplayer.

So I see we have plenty of impassioned new guests here. I hope you'll all check out Bruce Geryk's coverage of Eagle Day, a wargame modeling the Battle of Britain. You know, airplanes and stuff. It's equally worthy of your enthusiastic comments!

Causus, you must be new to Fighting Games. Online Play is for Casuals and to Learn Match Up data, Offline play is where players who go to tournaments actually play to level up.

Thanks for this review, which made me feel better about not loving SC-V. I've played every game in the series (Soul Blade excluded), and Soul Calibur IV ranks as my favorite--along with the groundbreaking Dreamcast original. I agree that this one took significant steps backward. The character customization was positively addictive in the last game, for all the game-affecting attributes you mentioned, but this one not only discards that element, it decreases the total number of items. The characters don't exhibit their moves in the profile screens anymore and the backdrop itself is bland, with the ability to take posed pictures hardly compensating at all. Like you, I also find it impossible to block in this game. The Nightmare "boss" in arcade mode was hopelessly cheap, even on easy. Finally, several of the new characters are just re-skinned versions of the old, witness Natsu, who is simply Taki with "B" cups instead of double-Ds, and a whacked-out up-do. Anyway--thanks. It's good to know I'm not the only one who felt this way.

This guy is a total idiot. Seriously guys don't listen to a word from this moron. He's a whiny noob that knows NOTHING about fighting games.