The Case of the Simpsons Season 6 DVD Box

I picked up the Simpsons Season 6 DVD set, and was a little annoyed by the odd packaging. It’s a plastic yellow case in the shape of Homer’s head, which looks cool as something you’d put on a shelf, but is otherwise crap as a functional box or something you’d put among other DVDs. I’ve heard a number of other people complain about the same thing, including the posts on Amazon.

Of course, that wasn’t enough to stop me from picking up the set. I take it home, open it up, and find a little insert with Homer’s face on it:

FOR ALL THOSE THAT FEAR CHANGE

• For all those anal-retentive nerds who like their DVD boxes to line up perfectly on the shelf …
  • For all those who dislike storing their digital media inside a hollowed out human head, have we got a deal for you:
    Just Call: 1-800-223-2369 for a very derivative, old-style, just-like-before box with almost nothing new or creative to annoy or terrify you. Enjoy!

Calling the number leads to … a recording of Homer, who waffles back and forth between calling this a hoax or a real offer. You’re then directed to http://www.simpsonsbox.com, which has more info on getting the replacement box, which is free outside of the $3 shipping/handling.

I wish I had a better end to this story, but I don’t. Just thought it was worth sharing. :)

Yeah, I hate the new box, too and have my offer for the replacement box ready to be mailed in. The Homer head box is ugly, plus the DVD jewel case inside it opens in a different direction, which makes it hard to work with unles you completely take it out of the outer plastic case. And the thing doesn’t stand up straight. Really terrible packaging design.

It’s kind of stupid to start this X seasons in. Obviously it’s not about fearing change, it’s about having a complete set of similar volumes.

My guess is that marketing wanted to give the line a little kick in the pants. Sounds like they ended up with the worst… box… ever…

Really terrible packaging design.

Though their response is right on the money! Thats gold.

I just called and listened to that message - that’s not the original voice actor, that’s a cheap knockoff of Homer. Cool thing though.

I was hoping this was going to be some sort of Encyclopedia Brown crossover thread.

I was going to berate you for saying this after you posted that psyche-out thread about a Kriss Kross / Nancy Drew crossover computer game. But then I realized that was your evil alter-ego Andrew Mayer. Your names are close enough that I’m still mad at you anyway.

Hmmm… what’s cooler, having and evil twin, or being an evil twin? :)

which one of you has the pointy beard?

from www.thesimpsonsbox.com :

Requirements :

A solemn promise to stop your whining

Reason for wanting a new box :

Anal Retentive (box must be identical)
Lonely (will pretend box is new best friend)
Will sell new box to collector nerds for huge profit
Just like free stuff
Big baby

I love it. :)

Yeah, it’s kind of funny, but also irksome that there’s no option for “Hate the packaging.” So there’s no reason to think that you’re getting a chance to give them real feedback. On the other hand, they probably just assume that anyone who sends in for the alternate box is doing so for that one and only reason.

I actually do have a pointy goatee, and shave my head.

I look a little bit like this:

Although the beard isn’t as long, and I’m caucasian.

I actually do have a pointy goatee, and shave my head.[/quote]

Well, we’ve identified the evil twin. My work here is done.

[quote=“Thrrrpptt!”]Yeah, it’s kind of funny, but also irksome that there’s no option for “Hate the packaging.” So there’s no reason to think that you’re getting a chance to give them real feedback. On the other hand, they probably just assume that anyone who sends in for the alternate box is doing so for that one and only reason.[/quote]

Exactly. They are just having fun while doing it.

Yeah, it seems pretty clear that you don’t like the actual packaging, and why. No reason not to make the exchange entertaining.