The Chocolate Thread

When this post:

Broke the un-gif thread I realized we don’t have enough discussion on chocolate in this forum. I’ll kick things off:

Is the best chocolate bar in the world in my eyes and its not close. I grew up loving the regular Crunchie bar when I was a kid, but over time as I grew older found the ratio to be a little too heavy on the honeycomb. Then I came across this magnificent bastard and my world changed forever. Absolutely nailed the ratio, if you like Dairy Milk and you like Crunchies, you haven’t lived till you have tried this guy.

Honorable mention to Milka with Daim:

Of course with these I am talking about mass produced international chocolate.

If I find myself back in the States I have to give some love to Reese’s in terms of mass production and you can never go wrong with Milk Bordeaux from See’s if you want to step up a tier in fanciness.

Cadbury Mini-eggs are the bomb

I had Milka for the first time this summer, when travelling through Switzerland. It is indeed very tasty. Nice and creamy.

I tend to favor dark chocolates myself, and for mass market chocolates I have to give the nod to Ghiradelli. Especially the squares with caramel.

Glad to see I’m not the only one who thinks those are the best Easter chocolate. The slight hint of malt chocolate, mmmmm.

So, despite being a woefully fat bastard now, when I was growing up, I was painfully underweight and hated to eat. My parents begged, cajoled, bargained, and threatened, but no matter what they or anyone else did, I simply refused to eat. I’d hide food (mom got particularly pissed when she found a cache of fossilized chicken nuggets under the fridge), refuse to swallow it (I went for half of the road trip to Louisiana from TN with a goodly chunk of a Burger King chicken sandwich tucked into my cheek), or just throw it away (home got called by the school for that one–I pissed off mom again when she slyly asked how my “ham” sandwich was that day, when she’d given me a PB&J she knew I hadn’t touched).

No idea why, mind you, but that’s just how it was. Until one magical summer when I went to stay with my grandparents in Louisiana by myself for 6 weeks, just after wrapping up the 2nd grade.

Mawmaw and Pawpaw were of the “Don’t give a shit about your shit” generation of hardbitten deep-country Louisianans and didn’t have time to deal with a whiny kid who refused to eat. If I didn’t want supper, cool deal; go to your room and read your weird scifi novels, kid, and don’t complain to me later if your stomach’s growling, cuz I’m gonna be passed out drunk in my recliner “watching” the hunting channel from 8PM to 5AM.

Of course, as time went on, things got a little desperate, and I actually started to think about, you know, maybe eating some goddamned food before I died. Problem was that mawmaw only cooked “weird” Cajun food (if you’ve grown up being a picky non-eater, the aforementioned BK chicken sandwich is about the limits of your palate, so red beans and rice or crab gumbo’s just not gonna fly, starving or not). Things were looking grim; were I not here, now, typing this message, you might well surmise that I just died right then and there.

Luckily for me, pawpaw took mercy on the pasty nerd child his own pasty nerd son had somehow sired in direct contravention of family tradition (ours was to be a family of fishermen, drunks, and steelworkers until dad came around and fucked it up with his fancy college degree). I guess he’d gotten used to feeding a picky wimp after 18 years of raising my dad, so he knew just what to do: he loaded up his shrimp-goop-smeared, rust-pocked pickup with junk food from the corner store and snuck it to me after dinner.

Now, from a nutritional standpoint, it’s probably the case that I survived that summer on the back of calories and protein found in the main diet pawpaw provided (S’mores Poptarts for breakfast and cold hot dogs with mayonnaise on Bunny-brand white bread with Zapps “Cajun Crawtater”-flavored chips on the side for lunch and dinner), but thing is, I didn’t just survive, returned to my parents the same scrawny failure of a [Last Name Redacted] that I’d been when I got there.

No, no, I actually gained weight, rounding out my 6-week stint in that humid hellhole of a state at or surpassing my “correct” weight for age and height. And that was due to a single magical chunk of Heaven’s manna that pawpaw divined as my savior from the grubby racks of Son’s Grocery and Gas as he sauntered to the back to get that day’s case of Milwaukee. Somehow, pawpaw found my anti-food madness’s cure: Butterfingers.

Oh my fucking christ, I must have eaten a thousand Butterfingers that summer. Full size, snack size, King size, BBs, you name it, I’d eaten it! Bart Simpson’s torn-open face littered the floor of my small back room and tufts of yellow plastic waved from between the pages of each book I was in the middle of reading. I passed my days in the classic Butterfinger-aficionado’s stance: index finger planted firmly in mouth, digging the sickly-sweet gobs of munched-up toffee filling out of my back teeth. I was eating these things by the caseload, a sugar-fever mania gripping my malnourished brain and demanding only one thing to sate my newfound desire: more Butterfingers.

In the years since, I’ve put on a ton of weight by eating a ton of food–I even learned to love Cajun cuisine (tragically after my wonderful grandmother passed, and my damnable cousins filched her recipe box out of the inheritance)! But in the end, having had candy and chocolate from every corner of the earth and taking part in seasonal traditions like Cadbury Eggs and Reese’s pumpkins, one candy bar still has my heart, to its very core:

Butterfinger has always been my favorite as well. The Simpsons advertising campaign was really a stroke of genius.

Has anybody tried any of these fancy chocolate bars?

For me, the greatest candy bar that is and ever shall be is:

I will fight, FIGHT anyone who disagrees. Beyond that, I’m a self-proclaimed Reese’s whore. I love pretty much everything they do, ESPECIALLY their seasonal shit like:

I’d kill a man for these.

That map up there makes me ashamed of both my home states (PA, CA).

I actually like this one about the best of candy bars.

Those are a very solid choice TBC. Take 5 definitely rate in my top 5.

Cool - a chocolate thread. Oh - Cadbury crunchie bits & Butterfinger.

Well, this being the internet and all, I can try to re-rail this obviously derailed-from-the-start crummy excuse for a thread about chocolate. I do like Butterfinger, by the way - its just not ‘chocolate’.

So yeah, I know you can spend $4, $5, $8, whatever on single bars if you try. What I want is really good (even if its not actually great) chocolate that I can buy locally and can afford to eat every day. So here’s what I know, and hopefully someone with similar interest can turn me on to something I’ve not yet found.

First - it ain’t chocolate unless it is at least 60% (most real chocolate starts at 70%).

Trader Joe’s:
Single-origin Ecuador 60% - the only 60% to make my list. A bit too sweet but very interesting flavors, and just $2.
Organic 72% Belgian - the mainstay at TJ’s. Also $2.
Dark Chocolate Lover’s 85% - I do go for 80-85% for a change of pace. This is one of the only cheap 85s with interesting flavor profile. Guess what? $2.

Supermarket:
Green & Black’s 70% - $3 normally, I always wait for it to go on sale
Kroger house brand organic 70% - not much in the way of distinctive ‘extra’ flavors, but a very intense main chocolate flavor, $3, but again I wait for sales.

Blegh, you dark chocolate nutjobs are weird ;)

In truth, dark chocolate joins a raft of other popular bitter foods/drinks I loathe (alongside coffee and beer), so just like coffee, load it up with milk and sugar until it’s unrecognizable enough to fit my preferences ;)

To me chocolate is like any other food. There’s fine dining and there is junk food. If I’m going to tell you of my favorite chocolate, I’m going to talk about the best there is.

Jacques Torres makes it.

When I lived in New York I could go right to the source. Now, alas, I am bereft of Jacques. So I will make due with Ghirardelli and Scharffen Berger.

And Nestle’s Crunch.

I wonder if dark chocolate lovers were ones who found baker’s chocolate and thought it was good.

I thought I found someone’s stash of secret chocolate.

I was mighty wrong.

It is bizarre how adding rice krispies to milk chocolate turns two useless things into something that tastes good, isn’t it?

But like most of the other stuff in this thread, its candy not chocolate.

Milkyway has always been my favorite. My 4-year-old girl hates chocolate - I don’t know where it started or why but hey, more Halloween candy for us!

I just don’t understand dark chocolate people. Then again I also don’t like coffee.

How did you break your 4 year old!?

I don’t get dark chocolate people (my girlfriend being among them), yet I love coffee.

Also, Milkyway is amazing.

Wow - that’s like the three fundamental food groups.

Don’t worry - I’m not going to try to ‘convert’ you. Life would be pretty dull if everyone liked exactly the same stuff.

Chocolate is a great thing. It is my one weakness when it comes to candy or sweets. I never buy it for myself, but if it is in the house (thanks wife or daughter) it will get eaten.