The coming avalanche of games, end of 2014

I’m behind the schedule ¬¬. Lots of games dropping in these dates, and I’m still have to play games like:

-Divinity Original Sin
-Dead Rising 3
-Walking Dead Season 2

Just in these days, we had good releases:

-Wasteland 2
-Endless Legend
-Gauntlet
-Age of Wonders 3 Golden Realms

Of course, I still haven’t started any of them.

And in the coming days, it starts the Q3/Q4 lineup, with lots of games:

-Vanishing of Ethan Carter
-Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
-Alien Isolation
-Ancient Space
-Final Fantasy XIII
-Running with Rifles
-Ultimate General - Gettysburg
-Legend of Grimrock II
-F1 2014
-Borderlands Pre-Sequel
-The Evil Within
-Jagged Alliance Flashback
-Civilization: Beyond Earth
-Lords of the Fallen
-Styx Master of Shadows
-Far Cry 4
-AC Unity
-CoD Advanced Warfare
-The Crew
-CoH2: Ardennes Assault
-Dragon Age: Inquisition
-DreamFall Chapters
-Project Cars
-Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
(and I’m not putting any of the console exclusive games like Forza Horizon 2, Driveclub, Bayonetta 2, Halo Remastered, etc)

To finish, without exact date but coming to “end of the year”, we also have:

-Pillars of eternity
-Broken age Part II
-Elite Dangerous

TLDR: I don’t know what the hell I’m going to do!

This is how I’ve been for years! So. Many. Games. Sometimes I wish I only liked one or two particular types of game just to keep things simple, or only had one platform to play on. And this is just games! Never mind books, movies, TV etc.

Lack of time is the problem and I’m working on that by trying to pay our house off early so that I can drop my hours at work. Less work, more play. Granted, it’s a very boring way of spending money and it’s a long term plan, but something’s got to give!

I too am overloaded with good games. Recently I acquired, am playing or plan on playing:

[ul]
[li]AOW 3 expansion (playing)[/li][li]Cities in Motion 2 (new)[/li][li]Divinity play #2 (playing)[/li][li]Endless Legend (playing)[/li][li]Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director’s Cut (playing)[/li][li]Walking Dead Season Two play #2 (planned)[/li][li]Prison Architect (new)[/li][li]Baldur’s Gate Enhanced (playing)[/li][li]Baldur’s Gate 2 Enhanced (planned)[/li][li]Panzer Corps (planned)[/li][li]Race the Sun (playing)[/li][li]Steamworld Dig (playing)[/li][li]The Wolf Among Us play #2 (planned)[/li][li]Papers Please (planned)[/li][li]East India Company (planned)[/li][li]Tropico 4 (playing)[/li][/ul]

with Beyond Earth already pre-ordered. Starpoint Gemini 2, Craft the World, Dead State, Starbound and Ultimate General are hanging on my EA list and most of those should be released soon.

There are a score of other games that are in my profile that I would like to try again or give a fair opportunity like Xcom, Hegemony, Pandora, Prince of Persia and many more.

Wasteland 2, Transport Giant 2, Fight the Dragon, The Escapists, Clockwork Empires, Stonehearth and many others are screaming for attention from my wish list. At this stage I am not even looking at what is to be released like Dragon Age or Jagged Alliance. I will consider those when they are released.

It truly is the Golden Age of PC gaming. I have never seen this many compelling games released at one time. It is a nice problem to have.

The only new release I’m looking forward to (with a bit of trepidation) is Beyond Earth. That said, I have a metric shitton of games sitting on my hard drive that I think will be coming out of Early Access before year’s end, and I’ll want to get back to all of them.

I also got this two pending to play, but they didn’t even register as “games I have to play soon” in mind, they directly were to the depths of my steam account backlog.
And I just remembered I also have Xenonauts to play someday…

My year-end list is relatively small, and consists largely of things no one else here cares about.

Already out:
-Elminage Gothic (haven’t started yet beyond making my party)
-Planetarian (haven’t started, but it’ll fly by fast once I do)
-Theatrhythm Curtain Call (haven’t started yet beyond playing the demo for the early unlocks in the full game)

Coming before the end of the year:
-Hyrule Warriors (out on Friday, and I should hopefully have the Wii U to play it on later today)
-Terra Battle (an incredibly cool free-to-play tactics game designed by Hironobu Sakaguchi, of Final Fantasy fame; I made a Canadian iTunes account to participate in the soft launch, but I stopped playing that install and am waiting patiently for the proper launch in October)
-Fantasy Life
-Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (still tentative on the Wii U version)
-Bayonetta 2
-Pokémon Alpha Sapphire
-Persona Q

Hopefully coming before the end of the year:
-Sealark
-Barkley 2

And then there’s a bunch of other stuff I’m busy with, like replaying The World Ends With You, digging into the postgame content in Ragnarok Odyssey ACE, and preparing to start Soul Sacrifice Delta, a bunch of Wii U games, and a bunch of original Xbox games.

One begins to see why I no longer feel any need to partake in the console experience. I am absolutely missing out on a few games in the process, but will I miss them in the tide of everything else that I won’t have time to play? no, no I will not.

So far, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Dragon Age: Inquisition are the only ones I know of that I’m particularly excited for. Possibly Beyond Earth, but most of what I’ve seen just makes me want to reinstall SMAC and play that instead.

Mordor and Borderlands are on my list , along with a few others. I even took some vacation at the end of October to get at least one of them finished. :)

I feel the exact same way about the PC experience! :)

This is going to be a grueling season for me. I’ve already ordered:

• Shadow of Mordor
  • Alien: Isolation
  • The Evil Within
  • Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
  • Beyond Earth
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition

And I will certainly get Assassin’s Creed Unity and Far Cry 4.

:( / :D

Damn, now you’ve reminded me of how much I wanted a collector’s edition and couldn’t get one! Argh! I guess I’ll pick up the normal Limited Edition soon, really enjoyed the original one and I’m glad I didn’t spend any money on DLC tracks.

Shadows of Mordor has been my only prepurchase of the games still to come out although I’m eying a few of them (Dragon Age, Far Cry 4, and the Assassin’s Creeds).

I know I am not helping, but this is a good game.

Hadn’t even heard about Vanishing of Ethan Carter before this thread - and now it’s jumped to the top of my list. Looks awesome.

I usually love tactical squad games, so I don’t need lots of help to sell it on me :P.

Right now I’m playing Metro LL DLC.

Hadn’t even heard about Vanishing of Ethan Carter before this thread - and now it’s jumped to the top of my list. Looks awesome.

We have a thread, I think it should be around page 2 right now.

I hate to say it, but Ubisoft games like AC Unity and Far Cry 4 (and pretty much all big-studio releases with the exception of first-party Nintendo and CoD games that aren’t named Ghost) have a tendency to drop price dramatically within 6 months of release. It probably won’t be a good use of your time or money to buy these and put them on a shelf.

Of your list, only Far Cry 4 is day-one for me, I liked the last one too much (Sunset Overdrive is my only other day 1, just out of Insomniac love). Everything else can wait for a sale or amazing word of mouth to persuade me.

Well, of course half of this I will play it in an offer some months later, yeah. But that also means there are some games released half a year ago that will be discounted over the next two months and they will also be interesting to play.

I’ll play all these games just as soon as I finish Diablo 3 and Destiny…

Try this exercise: which of those games are you reasonably certain will be at least 4 stars (out of 5) on your personal rating scale?

Really need an image of Bart and Milhouse after they found money and went on a sugar binge.