The coming of the 9th generation of consoles

Created as a sequel to this thread:

Digital Foundry does some speculating on the next generation that I found fairly amusing.

Ugh.

(12345)

On the bright side, we’re looking at 2020/2021 at the earliest, according to the speculation.

My (probably way off base) prediction is that either Microsoft or Sony is going to forgo traditional generations in favor of the incremental upgrades of the PS4 Pro and the Xbonx.

I guess we’ll find out how serious Microsoft is about this ““generation-less” future.

I would be very disappointed if they ever break backwards compatibility, but I certainly do expect both Sony and MS to brand new console generations, because that’s how you sell boxes.

Eventually they’ll probably break forwards compatibility, but I wouldn’t expect that for another 2 generations at least. On the PC side DirectX9 GPUs are juuuust starting to be desupported in new games, and that came out in 2002.

I expect the next refresh to offer dramatically more CPU power with Zen2 cores as that has proven to be the achilles heel of the current gen. Tons of graphical juice but less room to innovate in gameplay and AI.

Why in the world would Microsoft hire Gearbox…

Getting old I guess because I’m fine with the systems still as they are. Plenty of great games have been made and many more coming. If your a enthusiast then they have the Pro or One X for you to gawk at the eye candy.

Gah, I just bought the Ps4 Pro, leave me some time for the cognitive dissonance to go away, will you Sony?

I need next gen now so I can play the 60 fps remaster of these crappy 30 fps games.

Yet another round of remaster cash-ins is one reason I dread the coming 9th generation. You kids and your framerates.

I can’t wait for 144 FPS Red Dead Redemption upscaled to 8K.

Native 12k or bust.

Looking forward to the day people complain the latest Nintendo console only does 4K.

The only thing that would 100% get me day 1 on a PS5 is backwards compatibility from PS3 forward, including (even exclusively) PSN purchases. Cutting down on device clutter would be huge.

It’s hard to believe they’re at 16nm builds now. That seems like science fiction from just five years ago.

Oh I wouldn’t expect that; PS5 will be a PS4-Pro-Pro. Faster GPU and (hopefully) much faster CPU.

Maybe the next generation will have a built-in blockchain currency used to buy loot boxes.

The PS5 will have backwards compatibility since Microsoft’s Xbox Duo will be the consumer favorite next gen (because Sony is really going to fumble the reveal PR) so Sony will be desperately trying to keep pace and Tom will be making jokes about his PS5 collecting dust in the closet.

Is PS4 had back compact with all previous gens I’d buy one today. Hopefully they’ll correct that deficiency with the PS5.

I just purchased a PS4. PS5 with good backward compatibility would be high on the list. I am… pleasantly surprised with the machine… PS Store is horrible though…I am assuming people google their purchases and don’t actually try to find anything on it using their lack of tools.