The coming of the 9th generation of consoles

It’s not the best store, but it grows on you. They do make it easy to find your free games every month with PS Plus at least.

I gave Sony a fair shot this generation, but I’m probably gonna be moving back to the XBox because I’m tired of Sony’s garbage network. If I gotta pay the same amount for it, it should be comparable in capability.

One quote from a Sony exec seemed like a nice indication of when they’ll announce the PS5:

So maybe they plan to announce the PS5 in March 2021.

Source: The Playstation 4 - #3355 by lordkosc

I don’t care about a PS5 really, I think the PS4 is more than capable of amazing stuff as is. But. I would pay real fucking money for a PS4 Pro 2 or something that has a damned SSD in it.

Can’t you just add an ssd?

EDIT! It seems you can and people have run tests!

I was just about to link that. The results are not very encouraging.

Big improvement on load times in Fallout 4 and Battlefield 1.

Not great improvements in Witcher 3, Just Cause 3 and others.

Fallout 4 really benefits from the SSD though. Same is true for Fallout 4 on Xbox 1. It improves framerate hitches while playing on Xbox 1 and PS4 as well.

Not really. You can stick an SSD in and it will know how to use it, but something about the architecture of the board you don’t get anywhere near full speeds. It’s not much different than using a normal 7200 RPM spinning disk (which, yes, is still a big improvement over the stock hard drive).

I want a new hardware iteration that can use the full 6GB/s speeds of a SATA3 or even better, have an M.2 drive built into them or something. That would be amazing.

Gaming as a whole has been crippled by the very slow CPUs in modern consoles. GPUs improved dramatically, which allow for much better visuals, including finally 60fps 1080p and some cheating ~4k. That’s great, but faster CPUs can enable different gameplay.

That’s what that Eurogamer article in the OP mentioned too. That the 9th generation should be most improved by the dramatic increase in CPU speeds, though that won’t be as visible as GPU improvements.

It’s an interesting thought, what’s coming. I’m less interested in increased power, that’s a given. But I do wonder about the “intangibles” of next gen. I had thrown in with Xbox last gen with the 360 and have persisted through the One and likely will continue into the next. Very much hopeful that they continue with their efforts on backward compatibility with previous generations, allowing those games to “live on” and even have improved resolution and performance has been really great way to enjoy stuff I already own. But I wonder what else there is? What will make me say yes, I have to have that.

Sony is actually working on Ryzen CPUs for Playstation, so we know it’s comin’.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Sony-LLVM-Ryzen-Improvements

It depends on what the load speed is limited by. Many games are using the processor a lot during load times and faster storage speeds will not help that much. Others where it’s just waiting for data to fill memory get the bigger boost.

We (my husband and I) put SSDs in our PS4 Pros after Monster Hunter World came out. We played it a bit without and the load times were horrendous. After putting SSDs in, the load times were significantly better, by quite a lot. Totally worth it.

Current consoles are (probably?) limited to SATA3 bandwidth anyway:

Modern motherboards use SATA III which maxes out at a throughput of 600MB/s (or 300MB/s for SATA II, in which case, it’s time to upgrade). Via that connection, most SSDs will provide Read/Write speeds in the neighborhood of 530/500 MB/s. For comparison, a 7200 RPM SATA drive manages around 100MB/s depending on age, condition, and level of fragmentation. NVMe drives, on the other hand, provide write speeds as high as 3500MB/s. That’s 7x over SATA SSDs!

Still that’s good for a 5x perf boost over spinning rust…

I put an SSD in my PS4 Pro and IMO it was worth it. Shaving ten seconds off Witcher 3 load times may not seem like much, but it is a big improvement for someone like me who dies a lot.

Is he constipated?

I thought he was talking about teabagging Microsoft.

Even better!