The Compleat Retro Shooter thread

Those were the words I spoke when the tutorial message came up about it!

By the way, I turned the tutorial message font size up a bit, I kept missing important information. Like, say, the boot knife.

It seems on par with the crowbar in terms of damage, although perhaps with slightly less reach. But the knife / gun combo is effective.

By the way, I’m not a fan of the light going out every time you attack. It’s not even realistic, as you’re holding it in your other hand. I did notice that you grip the pistol with both hands when you’re not using the light, and I wonder if that affects accuracy? That would be cool, but not the blinking off/on of the light.

I don’t play first person shooters by keyboard anymore unless I’m forced to! Luckily Ashes supports controllers.

Reporting back: Boot knife is not assigned by default, but the tutorial message that I missed tells you might have to reassign the button. But controller config doesn’t let you assign any buttons. So what to do?

Well, I discovered if you go under keyboard assigns, you can assign buttons to the mouse and the controller in that menu. So I assigned melee (boot knife) to B, which might have been a bad idea. I kind of have to stop aiming in order to press B. I might reassign that.

Overall the tutorial is balls hard. Having to melee all these enemies to preserve ammo is not fun.

Exactly what I needed! Thank you, @MrTibbs !
Y’know, with all of these retro-shooters lately, I’m beginning to seriously question if I ever need a new computer or video card ever again. These are the kinds of games I cut my teeth on when I bought my first PC in 1993. They were amazing back then, and they are amazing now.

After playing these newer AAA games with their photo-realistic graphics, QTE gimmicks, and needless complexity, I play one of these retro-shooters, and seriously, it’s like coming home.

I haven’t yet played it enough to quite make that statement, but Ashes feels really, really great, and I’m so happy right now!

Also, I skipped the tutorial.
Did I miss anything important by doing so, or does this play pretty much like I would expect?

I mean, so far it seems to be just like those old classics.

I already love the difference between the two pistols.
One goes bam bam bam
The other goes bambambam
Super cool game.
It feels fantastic.

If you don’t play the tutorial, you wouldn’t know about the boot knife, and thus you aren’t allowed to use it. Actually the tutorial is the hardest level in the game. You can’t say you beat the game until you play it.

Ok, I beat the tutorial and got slaughtered at the start of Ep1. Not enough ammo or health. So I restarted at Ep1, and with full ammo and health had no problems. Forget melee though, I lose too much health getting close, these things all hit like a train!

But after clearing the shop out, and finding a door that needs a blue keycard, and hearing enemies behind a rolling door that you can’t open, I’m utterly stuck. There is nowhere I can possibly see to advance. This game is like the Dark Souls of boomer shooters!

There is a duct entry I can see high up on a wall, but I can’t climb up on the crate to reach it, and there’s nowhere else to otherwise get onto the crate.

Very retro! I remember this being the case in most shooters of the past. It’s definitely something I don’t miss at all. Half Life 2 was the era around which that changed dramatically, I don’t think I ever got stuck in a shooter after that. I did get stuck in Half Life 2 Episode 2, but I think that was a genuine bug (I got past it by using a noclip cheat code and getting past the obstacle).

Excellent to hear you’re enjoying it, Giles! Being able to just jump straight into the action is a key reason I keep going back to these kinds of shooters. Ashes feels like an ambitious long lost game from the 1990s. It’s got that punchy combat down!

What difficulty are you playing on? I’m an old hand at these old shooters, but I’ve always just played on normal difficulty, as I figure that’s what the devs will balance for the best.

Follow the ductwork into another room. There are boxes set up to jump on to get in. Once you’re up there, there are some narrow ledges. You’ll want to make sure ‘always run’ is set to ‘off’ going around corners there.

Some bonus areas can be gotten to by blowing up those tanks you see around.

Yes, these ‘boomer shooters’ (Blood comes to mind) were difficult, but that’s what I loved about them. And they weren’t unfairly difficult. There were definitely some light puzzle elements, and some of them didn’t seem so ‘light’ until after you figured them out.

Sometimes before I got accustomed to how level designers’ brains worked, I’d sometimes spend like 3 days just trying to get past an area. It was incredibly frustrating, but I was too stubborn to get help, so I’d just keep coming back until I got it. Only then did I realize that I was usually over-thinking it.

I’m on Standard. I’m pretty good with them normally as well, but this one seems to have my number.

I can see the duct work, but I couldn’t figure out how to reach it with the boxes, as they’re too high and there’s nothing nearby to jump up on first. But it was late last night, I’ll try again this morning and probably facepalm the solution.

But I agree, the combat here feels great. When I’m allowed to fire a gun. ;)

I think we’ve just gotten soft over the years by playing shooters that are more and more forgiving.

A few years ago, I went back and played Blood for the first time in 20 years, and that game kicked my ass. I sat there and couldn’t believe that back in the 90’s, I actually finished the damn thing!

Blood was famously hard, even when it was released. The advice even in between veterans, is to use the custom difficulty thing from the remaster to adjust the difficulty, lowering the accuracy of the cultists, but increasing their number.

In general yeah, these kind of games tend to be hard. It’s a product of being works made for fans, by fans, and because it isn’t a commercial product, there is no pressure to cater to a bigger audience.
Also, remember quicksaves are a thing here.

A slightly annoying thing though; F6 doesn’t quicksave, it brings up the save menu, which stops everything while you navigate the save dialog boxes. Perhaps this is an engine limitation.

It does, for me. f2 is the save menu, f6 is the quicksave. The first time it shows the save menu to establish which slot is the quicksave slot, I believe.

Yes. It’s a spookily accurate reproduction of that era.
If you had told me I was playing a game originally made by Monolith or 3D Realms back in the 90’s, and that it was unearthed during an excavation of an office closet there, I would have 100% believed it.

I’m definitely hitting F6. I also thought it would operate as you describe, but every F6 it does the same thing. I’ll check my keybindings.

Check your settings, then, maybe there is one to confirm overwriting saves that is affecting it.

You’re right, that was it. (Confirm Save and Load was set to On)

Ok, I found the (incredibly obvious of course) thing I’d missed from last night, and now I’m on a roll! Ammo definitely ceases to become any kind of issue really because every enemy you kill seems to drop a gun and/or ammo (very likely a result of the Standard difficulty I’m playing on), and after finding a few secret stashes I’m loaded. Now I just have to watch my health.

There’s one secret I missed in the area. Now the dilemma, do I go on or do I try and find it!