The Compleat Retro Shooter thread

Boomerang X is so great. It’s very short, but the level progression is clever. The game gradually ratchets up combat complexity, but by the end you’re so practiced at dispatching enemies that they’re barely a concern. The true challenge lies in navigating arenas with fewer and fewer safe places. The final encounter cements that by pitting you against an enemy that ignores you inside a sphere of death.

The remastered Quake (free if you already have it at Steam, a princely $10 otherwise) is very nice. It maintains its rugged brownness, but in a “modern” engine that doesn’t have any of the Venerable One’s quirks (which sourceports like Quakespam et.al. still maintain). You also get the music, all the DLCs, Quake 64, and a new episode by MachineGames. The update blurb mentions later content drops, but we’ll see about that.

Of course, we’re dealing with Nightdive’s proprietary KEX engine, which is closed-source, which is not good.

Quake itself… well, it’s the granddaddy of the all the retro shooters these days, particularly the good ones like Dusk. It plays fast, mean, and lean. If it’s been awhile since you dived into Quake’s greasy run & gun action, then you might want to check in again. Roaring around the first levels, my shotguns blasting away, was more pleasant and engaging than I thought’d be.

On the flipside, source ports continue to work just as before, so there’s really no harm here. In fact, they left the old Dosbox version intact, so if that’s your jam, you’re covered.

It took me 25 years to finally return to Quake and I do it just before a (free) remaster gets released. I finished it maybe a month ago and only uninstalled it last week!

I’m really impressed with the tastefully updated visuals on this. Guess it’s time to reinstall it…

It’s been years since I looked in on Quake Champions. It’s on the Quakecon stream, so why not watch a couple of high-level matches?

Good lord. Where did these hideous weapon models come from?

I guess that’s a skin. There are other rocket launchers:

I played Quake Champions during… three weeks or so. it was decently fun.

Trepang2

Civvie weighs in the ‘boomer-shooter-con’ as he describes it.

Twas like looking in the mirror. Let’s pour some, and not care about what was so annoying minutes ago, anymore!

The katana in Shadow Warrior is right up there in my opinion. Spinning around and cutting people in half? Yes plz.

A Thief-inspired game

“Inspired” :)

This may have been posted with an earlier different trailer a few months ago, but this one is new and Apogee? Not sure I knew that was being used by a publisher again

Delicious.

is this the thread where we post Retro Shooter memes?

We’ll get our first hands-on with Supplice later this week. :)

This seems a good fit for the thead

Civvie liked Hedon

Supplice demo is out

And I’m not sure how to feel about it. It’s a very cool Doom megawad, with custom enemies and weapons. But if you are going to jump to do a commercial product, I expect bigger differentiation from Doom. It has the same green armor, the same supercharge, the same automap powerup, etc.

Well, I didn’t mention in any moment the quality of it, just more considering the nature of the project. In fact they are still using some Doom assets they should replace, like the sound of monsters teleporting in!

Here is a decidedly retro fps