The Complete Far Side

Many of you will want to go here and buy this.

I read about that last week in Time.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101031006-490695,00.html

I’m torn. There’s a deluxe leather edition coming out, but they haven’t announced the price yet. The good news is that I can get either version 40-percent off at work, so my problem is just deciding which one.

More than 4,000 Far Sides, including more than 1,100 that were never published in a book. Plus all the extras. Woohoo!

Oh man I soooo want to get this. $94.50 is a lot to fork over.

— Alan

Man, that’s just too much, though I love The Far Side.

Well Overstock.com has it for $79.

— Alan

According to Amazon the list price is $750.

Hey, just so you guys know, there’s been been a banner running for the book here on this site. Edailydeals has it for $79 also.

According to Amazon the list price is $750.[/quote]

Nutsack
hitting
floor.

Fuck, $750???

— Alan

OMG

Now to see if Gary has mellowed any. I hope not. Talk about one of the formative influences in my youth.

I need this so much more than anybody could possibly imagine.

There are several possibilities.

1. He’s creating an online archive of the entire series. One currently doesn’t exist, and the fact is that newer generations aren’t familiar with The Far Side.

2. He’s going to do new material.

3. Why not both?

Let’s just hope the site isn’t going full Tom Clancy® or James Patterson® and utilizing other people to scribe under his branded name.

Gary Larson was always pretty protective of his work, and he was never in it for the money, at least nowhere close to the scale like Jim Davis was. Aside from the calendars and collections there was never any big merchandising or anything of the like. And he walked away arguably in his prime decades ago.

Far Side Online would probably be a day one purchase for me. Unless it’s a dumb mobile app.

What are they up to? Why launch a stupid website and tease the audience and then do nothing for months?

Or was it just a ploy to drum up some financing / investor interest?

Shh, you instant gratification millennials

I had actually added this to my daily comics rotation to keep an eye on it, but I noticed a few days back the page was down. No idea what’s up there.