The Crew 2 - Planes, boats, and automobiles

1.0.3 Patch Notes

Bro. will @tomchick be satisfied with hovercraft!?

“More ways to play The Crew you never asked for!”

Ohhhh, can we get RC cars next? CAN WE CAN WE? It’ll be just like Re-Volt except way crappier!

I’ll hold out for the GOTY edition that includes Segways.

Free weekend, come experience the disappointment!

Sounds like an attempt to say “Hey we’re here too!” with the launch of Horizon 4 around the corner. Don’t think it’s gonna help.

At this point I’m more excited about Forza Horizon 4 than The Crew 2. If Horizon 3 wasn’t a POS as reported, I would be playing that right now. The problem for me is that The Crew 2 is doing America AGAIN (and with even less fidelity the second time around). Maybe they should have gone with Canada or whatever, somewhere new.

This is from someone who completed ALL the skill challenges in The Crew 1 on Platinum, over 3-4 months (edit: not years, but it does feel like a long grind at times). I don’t know the exact number but it must have been several hundreds.

I thought Horizon 3 was very much beloved?

On Windows 10 there are lots of bug reports, can’t start won’t run etc., and no one is doing anything about it, not least MS. It is like they want the Windows Store to fail

Oh that’s a shame, I’m about to get Win10 and was looking forward to trying it out.

Apart from ocasional crash, FH3 worked well for me, although I did experience the usual windows store nonsense.

Demo for FH4 worked correctly right away though.

And yeah Crew 2 is a flop.

Forza Horizon 4 has, from what people say, no such problems.

My driving game experience is limited to The Crew (first) and Forza Horizon 3 (second) and I prefer The Crew. Partly it’s just that I like what I first tried, I’m sure, but The Crew feels bigger than Forza. I also dislike how Forza handicaps races - what’s the point of tuning my car if every other car in a race is automagically exactly equal?

For what it’s worth, I’m playing on Windows 10 and haven’t had any serious problems with FH3.

Isn’t that the opposite of a handicap?

I don’t think so. Not in a golf sense anyway. In golf you’re given a handicap so that you’re competitive with the others, right? Similar in Forza games. I think he used it correctly here.

I’m sure I’m using the term wrong.

What I’m trying to say is that every car in a race has the same car level as whatever I’m driving. The last racing game I played was Gran Turisimo 3, where upgrading your car gave a noticeable benefit in a race tier. I like that aspect of car games, with the car getting better as I change out parts. As far as I can tell, Forza doesn’t really do that. The car gets better, but so does the competition.

Right, but if every car is equal, there’s no handicap. Am I misreading what he wrote?

Edit: Ah. See above.

Yeah, I’m mildly irritated by that too in the Forza games. They give you so many tools to tune your difficulty that it puts all the burden on you as the player to tune your experience, instead of the game designers tuning it for you.

If you upgrade your car, others are upgraded as well, but only so far as their magical “rating” score is concerned. So you could get a serious advantage over the other cars, if you tune it well, or a serious disadvantage. The other cars are just automatically upgraded, same as if you did an automatic upgrade from Grade B to Grade A, for instance. Some better tires maybe, better acceleration, etc. But if it’s a very specific type of race, where top speed is important, for instance, and you tune for that, the automatic upgrades won’t be as good.

Plus they have their “recommended car” for each of the events in the game. These cars are better suited to the race. If you pick one of the other cars, and automatically upgrade it to the same Class B/A, etc., you could be at a serious disadvantage.

But on top of that, you can still do things like enable time reversal. You can adjust the AI drivatar difficulty up and down. You can adjust your simulation level to make the challege harder or easier. There’s just so many factors, and you have to use them all to find the right zone of difficulty for yourself. Each person is different, obviously. In the normal Forza games I want more of a challenge. In the Horizon games, I want a more laid back experience so I don’t bother making the game challenging. But even in the Horizon games, when I do Rivals mode and race against fellow Qt3 denizens, my competitive drive finally kicks in.

Overall it works out for me, but yeah, I do wish sometimes that the old Gran Turismo method of upgrading a car = gaining an advantage could be true on its face sometimes, with no caveats.

It’s not perfect but it’s still 100 times better than the older Forza games where the other cars had levels all over the place. The thing is, with the other cars on similar levels, it makes the AI drivers more competitive among themselves, compared to the older games they were all just driving on a line getting further and further apart.