The Crew 2 - Planes, boats, and automobiles

Gamepad and wheel can work simultaneously so when you switch you grab a pad and fly off.

Personally I think I will mostly stick with cars anyway.

The flying feels like it would be very good if I could remap the sticks a bit. Having throttles on triggers and rudders on bumpers is really messing with me. I would rather have rudder on a the other stick.

Fortunately your plane is near indestructible :)

I don’t like the way you can’t change the camera angle in 3rd person plane views. You can in first, kind of, but 3rd is 90 degree snaps only. Seems a little odd. Boats seem boring so far, based on my two races. The lack of scenery and obstacles seems like a tough barrier to overcome there. I haven’t seen any open country driving yet. I switched to an activity on land and was transported to the road… still sitting in my speedboat :)

First, the bad:

Sine wave radio missing - huge problem for me tbh, loved it in the first game

Interface is a mess (just figuring out how to quit the game took me a while, it is nowhere you would expect it)

“Social media yo” style is trash

Physics still way too arcadey

No mirrors. Again. And again.

Boats and planes are boring as expected

GPS is a mess (just a straight line, WTF?)

No story (i prefer to have it even if not great, solution would be to improve it, not excise it)

US again, meh

the good:

Nicer graphics (lightning and LoD are improved a lot), clean IQ

Perfect 60fps, no drops, overall tech proficiency is great

Instant loadings

It is still kinda fun

To be honest it feels way too similar to Crew 1…and since I already played it for 150+ hours and the map is pretty much the same, just nicer, I am kind of disincentivized to buy this one. Hopefully Forza Horizon 4 will offer new map…

That’s disappointing, but not surprising. I have no interest in the boats and planes, so if they haven’t done much with the map, I’m out.

To be fair I only tested a drive from LA to SF and drove a bit around NY and Las Vegas, just a tiny slices of the map. But yeah what I saw seemed pretty much the same (though graphically more pleasing for sure).

Finally got in. It is 28 gb of disappointment because the game does not recognise the right analog stick of my Logitech Dual Action USB controller. x360ce does not work either. So it is back to Crew 1 for me, and waiting for a price drop.

Just got my invite this morning. And in the event that anyone wanted to play the closed beta but didn’t get in, looks like I can send invites for three friends. Let me know if you need one.

I also couldn’t see how to quit :/ Alt-F4’d both times I played it.

There seem to be so many menus between me and the enjoyable stuff. I just want to drive to Ohio man.

Quit is F10. Don’t ask me why, it just is. o_O

I played with controller and quitting is done by pressing Y during gameplay, and there is an option to quit among other things. Because putting quit into menu that opens after pressing start would be too (i)llogical I guess.

Actually to quit it is B, and then you have to hold the quit button. For some reason Crew 1 keep crashing now.

I loaded up the beta last night and again just a little while ago. I tried a couple of races last night, they’re kind of fun but as others mentioned, feel kind of arcade-y. Not sure if I’m going to like that. Then this morning I figured I’d hit the open road and see how that feels. And, whoa.

So I never played the first game, though I own it since I believe it was Games with Gold on Xbox at some point. But the geography in this game feels so weird. It’s like they got a fifth grader to draw a map of the U.S. from memory, with the Gulf of Mexico being maybe half its normal size, and Santa Fe is somewhere up around Nebraska. It started me out in Miami so I figured I’d set a waypoint to New Orleans and drive. When my GPS told me that was a distance of twelve miles, my hopes deflated a bit. I don’t expect 1:1 realism, but I figured they’d at least try to fudge it a little closer. I didn’t like that broad blue line either, but apparently if you set a waypoint to a thing, like a race, and not just a spot on the map, it will give you street directions.

Then I jumped to South Padre and figured I’d cruise the southwest to L.A. And while the big picture is weird, I like the attention to detail. The way the plains and trees of West Texas grow sparser to give way to the mesas and desert of New Mexico and Arizona, it takes me back to road trips I’ve done. Also, at one point a deer ran across the road in front of me!

Anyway, it kind of makes me want to dig up the first game and see how I like that, if it has the same cross country feel. I don’t know if I’ll be picking up The Crew 2, at least not any time soon. But it’s interesting, I’ll give it that.

The first game does have that feel. It’s a bit like driving around a model of the US… but it’s a really big model. I’ve got a feeling the first one has been free somehow somewhere.

So the beta seems over? I never really grokked it. When I was behind the wheel it was enjoyable but they had all those options of ‘stuff’ to do with levels and criteria and event types, with the alternative of the big slow map… I didn’t get on top of how to get to what, and spent less time doing the stuff that I suspect is in there that I would have enjoyed and more time futzing with menus :/

No sale I don’t think.

Is it actually possible to switch vehicle types with a button press?

If you actually just drove one car that could switch to a boat and airplane as needed, I’d be much more interested.

I wonder who decided they needed to add boats and planes? Wouldn’t that effort have been better spent adding more mileage, better physics, and story stuff?

But they’ve already developed the planes and boats in titles like Far Cry and Wildlands, so the cost of including them here is about $9.

I’m pretty sure that’s how software development works.

Following release, The Crew 2 will receive regular updates in the form of two new vehicles per month. While these vehicles will be free for all players, players who purchase the $39.99 Season Pass can add them to their collections seven days early. Additionally, Season Pass owners will get three exclusive vehicles on day one. Also, not only will racers who go for the Gold or Motor editions receive the Season Pass, but they’ll get early access to the full game three days ahead of its release.

In addition to new vehicles, the development team is committed to bringing brand new experiences to players as well. New Live Updates will release every three months after launch, adding new activities, features, and disciplines. The first update, Gator Rush, arrives in September and will introduce hovercrafts, five new vehicles, and new events. Gator Rush will also introduce a new Legendary rarity level for all vehicle parts.

In December, The Crew 2 will add PvP lobbies, complementing the co-op gameplay available from launch. To ensure that the community is never split, all post-launch content can be earned with in-game currency.

The open beta started today.

I didn’t spend much time with it, but I feel like I got my fill.