The Crown - Netflix to spend a king's ransom (2016) on QE2

Finished season 2, enjoyed it a lot - but it was probably somewhat more uneven than the first one. Overall nice to see that other characters like Margaret and Philip become more room to breath, an Claire Foy remained fantastic as Elizabeth.

The Kennedy one felt a bit like a clunker in what otherwise was a good line-up of episodes. First of all, Michael C. Hall did not quite work for me as JFK. It was one of the cases where I always saw the actor, not the character. And Jodi Balfour’s take on Jackie’s ductus sounded pretty weird. The apology plot thread (We were high, also Jack was abusive!) didn’t work that well, neither did the gossip-induced anger being the motivational factor behind Elizabeth’s Ghana trip. That said, the part about Elizabeth being irritated/baffled by how the Royals get upstaged by the hype and celebrity status of the Kennedys was pretty great.

Princess Diana? Wow, I didn’t know they were going to keep going that much forward in time. I need to watch this series one day.

Believe they were targeting 6 seasons going till almost current day. Changing the core cast out every two to reflect time passage.

Woop, woop.

Odd day for a new one to drop but Season 3 is up.

I’m 7 episodes in, and I’ve been enjoying season 3 so far. Got used to the new cast immediately and I’d say Olivia Colman and Tobias Menzies are doing a wonderful job at carrying the torch.

Props to Helena Bonham Carter as Margaret too. Her performance in episode 3 was terrific.

Meh. Ending after 5 seasons instead of 6 as originally planned.

Boo! There’s so much good material being generated right now, it’s a shame they won’t get to it. Andrew and his association with Epstein, and now Meghan and Harry stepping back. Oh well.

I’m glad they won’t be trying to go up to current times. Don’t need a retelling of what’s happening now. End a great series on a hopefully high note and don’t overstay welcome which many shows do.

Just FYI if you are on a virus stay at home and want to watch a good series… this is one.

The Queen is such a good actress. She goes from being snubbed, being put down, being humiliated-- then trying to reassert herself. Surrounded by asshole men that try to keep her down.

Somehow she perseveres. Plus she has lovely eyes – This is a good series.

It is always old, white men that keep a good woman down. Only 10,000 years of history reflects this. But watching her try to bring a bit of … womanhood to her task is very interesting.

Which one?

Jokes aside, the series is indeed excellent. I am surprised how much I enjoy watching a bunch of people whose job is basically doing nothing and being rich (the other great rich people series is succession, but characters have way more agency there).

I hope they reconsider ending after 5 seasons. A last season with Brexit + pandemic would be very intense indeed.

Juan I agree --they are really the ultimate entitled for sure.

But you know they have to make some tough decisions. And the tension between what the Queen CAN do and what she CANNOT do (with regard to government in the UK) is so alien to me that I find it fascinating. Every episode this tension expands and contracts,

I am at the suez canal! IF I was welcome in the grognard channel I’d say “lets get a great game that shows how the French and English take it back”

But alas.

I sympathize with the Egyptians and the subjects under a colonial power. That had to end. But wow … I also see the problem with having the suez canal taken from the "free"world at the time. Very interesting to watch it from a Royals’ point of view.

The original scandalous picture. Aside from grace Kelly perhaps the most beautiful woman I have ever seen.

That is Princess Margaret in the scandalous photo…

Both. But Clair Foy is super fantastic. I am just at season 3!

I may be the only one watching this. But season 3 is just as good as seasons 1-2. I love it.

I will continue to comment here in a vacuum. But what an astounding show.

Yep, definitely among my favourites in the Netflix roster. Which is why I’m sad that they’ll end it after 5 seasons instead of the 6 they originally announced.

I watched it closer to each season’s launch on Netflix and really enjoyed it. We watched it with my wife’s parents, who remember all of the events depicted and it’s always worthwhile to hear how people experienced those things contemporaneously.