The Dawning Golden Age of Digital CCGs

How many of these are ipad games?

All of them, eventually.

Duel of Champions and SolForge both have iPad clients out. Hearthstone has one in Canada and Australia, with other countries planned soon. SolForge and Hearthstone are both planned to also come to Android tablets later this year. Hex and Infinity Wars are planned to have iPad and Android clients in the future, but are currently PC-only.

Of the “others”, Scrolls, Alteil Horizons, and Conquest of Champions all have tablet versions planned. I don’t know about the rest.

No, the one she starts with 2 Verore death worshippers and 1 demon of fear as commanders. Problem is, your deck seems not very well suited to deal with the “kill everything in combat area” spell that make the several Verore worshippers in support/commander areas super huge. Even if I succesfully avoid most of the damage of the spell, baiting a bit, most of my deck is medium level creatures that in the end inflate the Verore worshippers.

Oh, okay, the intermediate final trial. Yeah, I think that one you just have to anticipate it right and pull your troops back to the support zone the turn she casts Mass Death.

So I installed Hex and am trying to make heads and/or tails of it. A couple questions:

1. Do I have access to all the cards right now?
  2. How does drafting work, and where is it?
  3. I apparently have 30,000 points in my account? Are those just free alpha points to mess with?
  4. When does beta start?

Thanks!

1. Yes, everybody has all the set 1 cards during alpha. You’ll start your own collection from scratch once it rolls over to beta.
  2. Here’s a good overview of how the format works: http://hextcg.com/draft-tournament-overview/. You can access it by clicking “Play” at the top, then “Tournaments”, and then join the 8-player draft queue.
  3. Yeah, the last couple patches have given everybody an allotment of platinum to test the systems for buying packs and tournament entries.
  4. They’ve been saying that closed beta is right around the corner, but haven’t given an exact ETA yet. I’d guess a couple more weeks.

So if you were forced to choose between Infinity Wars and Duel of Champions, which one would it be? Those are the only two of the five I don’t have experience with, and with the Hex beta around the corner, I really shouldn’t be dipping my toe into either, let alone both.

I’ve tried them all the last few days and I have to say that so far I find myself going back to Duel of Champions, despite the slightly less-friendly cash shop policies. It seems to be only game that’s actually trying to do something different with interesting positional mechanics and limited number of creature slots. Hex is really just Magic reskinned with a (very slightly) different mana system and a couple of new wrinkles. So far I’m finding every duel turns into a half-hour+ massive creature slugfest and seems totally unbalanced (just play Sapphire and get a bunch of fliers on the board). DoC plays way faster and more snappy. I’m actually kind of wishing I’d skipped the Hex slacker backer deal and put the $50 into DoC cards.

Not sure how much the guessing mechanic in Infinity Wars is going to work for me, but I’ve only given it a couple of games. I’ll have to delve deeper into it later on.

Faeria does as well, they’re fairly close to finishing it I believe as well.

Question, do any of these games other than Faeria provide a pay once, never have to pay again model?

Charmtrap, Faeria plays similarly to what you described, though it’s a bit slower paced (even then games will finish under half-hour 90% of the time)

I really hope Faeria gets its playerbase when it hits Steam (it just made it through Greenlight Hell), it’s a really fair model financialy and a really good game, but I guess my taste in card games is like my taste in everything else competitive, whatever I end up liking is doomed to obscurity/poverty/have to play sets in the public bathroom status.

That’s a tough choice. I’d probably have to go with Duel of Champions, though, as I’ve been enjoying it the most lately, and it’s a good time to get in at the very beginning of the new base set. But you can’t go far wrong with either and there’s nothing to be lost with making an account for both and at least doing the tutorial before deciding which one to pursue.

Yeah, I’ve been a bit surprised at how much I’m liking it since picking it back up a couple weeks back. I had gotten frustrated by several annoyances and drifted away after a few weeks the first time I tried to play it, but almost all of them have been fixed now, and the core game is really solid. At this point, the lack of a draft mode is my only remaining major complaint.

Scrolls does, though that’s one that I never wound up playing due to the negative reaction it got on release. Wonder if it wound up improving. Good to hear that Faeria is turning out well. I liked the few single-player missions, and am looking forward to trying out multiplayer once it arrives.

I don’t consider Scrolls to follow that model since you have a grind slowly or pay option, and the game is set up to punish folks who don’t pay up, as the new stuff they introduce always ends up more powerful.

As for Faeria, it’s Single-player content is lacking, it’s value is as a MP game, when there are players (right now they’re trying to avoid it as they don’t feel the game is ready)

Is scrolls even officially released yet? I know about the beta release from last year, but it doesn’t say anything about being in beta on their site. On the other hand I can not find a “it’s released” message either.

I’m a bit on the fence about buying it. I don’t hear anyone raving about it, that must be a bad sign. The upcoming demo might help me make up my mind.

Most of the gamse mentioned here aren’t “officially released”, but in beta. Hex, Scrolls, Infinity Wars, Hearthstone, etc.

I finally did it, after a few more tries. And hell, I did all the academy trials, though the game didn’t get me the title as it should (it say I only completed 12 of 15 trials). Ironically, I did the advanced final trial in 3 tries with one of the starter decks without modification, while I needed 9 or 10 tries for the intermediate one.

Hearthstone was released weeks ago.

Oh, I thought it was “open beta”. Not that there is a lot of difference :P.

We could argue that Hearthstone has not been released on iOS yet (and be uppity Apple type geeks or something). ;)

I have been enjoying Hearthstone on the PC but do look forward to an iPad version for when I am traveling.

I read an article on a single player type raid (looks like Hex may have some PVE competition)

Hearthstone has definitely been fully released (on PC/Mac). There really wasn’t any change in functionality between closed beta and full release.

I rather wait for a game to be the complete and polished before playing it. It’s not that there aren’t enough games out of beta to play right now.

Ugh, Infinity Wars is kicking my guts. In one hand I like the gameplay a lot, more than other card games (for example, I like the commander idea, but it reduces randomness in the game and it allow you to design a strategy for your deck around a few cards without having to hope for said cards to come out), in the other hand… the game is buggy so I can’t recommend it. I’m trying to play now and it’s giving me a sql error (lol). There is a booster in their store that can’t be bought and they haven’t fixed in two weeks. Come on, it’s the fucking store in a f2p game, it should have ultra high priority. It’s like they don’t want your money! There are clear UI bugs when you complete a campaign mission or when you win a set of cards. Even their forum is poor, it’s a unskinned ugly free bb system where accounts aren’t linked to their own game accounts. In other words, it’s all very amateur, except for the nice animations.