The decline of Facebook and the chilling effect of social media

The republican president, having trouble walking after being reamed out by Putin.

Any American should be absolutely enraged by this. This was the most appalling thing I have ever seen any American President do, in my entire life.

i think I’m most enraged by the knowledge that even after such a performance, that a large portion of the GOP will still not abandon support for him.

At no point in my life have I felt as hopeless for the future of the country.

I don’t see why you would feel the country is “hopeless,” given that it has a functioning system of checks and balances, and major media outlets, including Fox News, are fairly reporting all sides of this issue. E.g., Cavuto today:

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/397217-neil-cavuto-trump-press-conference-with-putin-was-disgusting

I am not sure that Trump “flat-out” denied meddling, but rather cast significant doubt on whether it occurred. Not that either would be acceptable, but it seems important to get the specifics right.

Trump is willing to let some of Putin’s best help Mueller with his investigation. Nothing like letting the fox into the hen house. Who do you think will learn more about the other in such a relationship?

No there isn’t. Congress will not do anything to serve as a check on Trump being a traitor to our country. People like you will excuse his behavior based on partisanship.

I don’t see how you can say that when virtually all important Congressional republicans are criticizing Trump’s press conference. (the “Traitor” rhetoric, I dunno if that will hold, but certainly the press conference was poor).

They won’t do anything.
It’s just words.

No, this time Congress is totally going to do something about it. Like any day.

Didn’t you read about the impeachment movement that Jordan and friends started a few days ago? Oh wait, that was to impeach Rosenstein, my bad.

Maybe the House will launch an investigation! Oh they did? Into Clinton? Hmmm. Surely they have one for the Russian interference too, right? Yes, they do! Oh, it turns out there’s no evidence of any interference per Devin Nunes? Hmmm.

Well, he’d need congressional approval to renegotiate the START treaty, or to lift significant sanctions, and his behavior today will make sure that isn’t easy to do. He also faces midterms soon, which is another important check. Regardless, I don’t buy into the doomsday rhetoric. I do agree that this press conference is the low point of his presidency, but I do not think you should be afraid for the country.

The Mueller probe I believe is what you are looking for. That’s far better than anything the House could/would do.

Yes, the Republicans have been supporting that from the very beginning, as we all know.

Well, they’ll certainly be more deferential to it now! That’s all but assured.

Well that’s settled then. I can’t wait for next week, when the usual GOP suspects start clamoring about shutting it down early again. The GOP doesn’t give a crap about Trump’s Russian connections or they would’ve taken this seriously months ago. They’re all in on the Trump train.

Glad we cleared that up. Now that you’ve joined the rest of us on the “Trump is indefensible” train about eighteen months too late, I assume you’ll be voting Democrat so he can be held accountable via impeachment next year?

The right wing will just take a few hours to come up with some absurd spin about how this press conference wasn’t that bad. That’s what will be fed to Trump’s supporters.

They will just pretend this didn’t happen.

Russia is, unquestionably, going to influence the coming midterms.

Which will, of course, benefit the GOP. They have absolutely no incentive to try to defend the US from Russian attacks and interference. Zero.

I believe his press conference was indefensible, since I don’t understand why anyone would deny that Russian hackers meddled in the election. I don’t believe in impeaching presidents who don’t commit crimes, but voting for a good opponent might be smart in the next election cycle.

You really don’t think any of this hurts Republicans politically? Even if we adopt your cynical view of all Republicans, they are criticizing Trump today for a reason.

See, this is where you show your true troll colors. You’re a smart guy, no? And yet you pretend to lack the ability to comprehend such a completely transparent and illogical action. Can’t understand why someone would deny it. Really.

IT’S BECAUSE HE’S OWNED BY THE RUSSIANS.

The Russians are going to influence the elections to benefit them. And Trump will not do anything to stop it, because he wants that to happen.

Oh well, I’m done interacting with this guy again. He just pretends not to really know what’s going on, pretends he’s not even listening to the press conference, etc. Keep up the good (but pointless) fight, Timex! Eventually maybe he’ll get tired of it and go troll somewhere else.

Why would someone owned by the Russians be so obvious in public that he is supporting them? My take is that Trump knows full well he’s irritating people by taking a contrarian position, because his impulse (as wth climate change) is to instinctively oppose orthodoxy. The problem is it is a national security issue and not a game, which is why he will be walking this back.