The decline of Facebook and the chilling effect of social media

I’m not the one going around bitching about people and rice pudding. I just read the posts. I haven’t liked Discourse notifications since I got 20 of them in five minutes because someone edited their post a few times.

This might be why some people keep saying I am not replying to what they said, rudely might I add, when I never quoted or replied to them in the first place.

Get a room, right? :)

I kind of don’t get the Facebook hate? I live five hours away from my relatives (and some high school friends). I like being able to just take five minutes and say, “Oh, that’s what he’s up to - cool pictures!”

What’s wrong with that? It’s an incredibly useful thing, and I’m happy to see my friend at a gaming convention, or see his most recent coral reef tank, etc. Multiply that by all my friends and relatives (not as many as there should be, but still).

Yes, there are idiots on there who post inane anti-vax shit, or political ramblings, but they’re really easy to hide.

I confess that it does sometimes make me feel guilty about my life compared to others, but that seems like it is more my problem (and the natural human tendency to preen, one-up, and compare) than Facebook’s?

Oh for sure, Hungry Hungry Hippos was loads of fun, but I’ll always be a Candyland man myself.

I could really go for a funnel cake. Man, haven’t had a funnel cake in like 20 years. Funnel cakes kick zeppolis’ ass.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with that, and I don’t want to lose it either.

Facebook should answer for the privacy issues, for the data collections process and not notifying others about what happened when it happened, but Facebook is just an easy target. It’s easier to go after FB than the content creators because the content creators… that’e everyone. Stop with misleading titles because we know an x number of people will never read beyond the titles which means what,… censoring NPR? Heh. That would be like asking all the news outlets to stop using the word chilling in their titles (no offense).

Just in case it is unclear, I hit reply to the post quoted above, so this is, indeed a direct reply to the post both quoted and the arrow, but the arrow vanishes once it recognizes the quote… a thing Discourse does, not me.

I was listening to Make Me Smart (NPR podcast) today, and they were talking about how Facebook shares data, etc etc. At the end they said “If you want to tell us what you think you can respond to us at Facebook by…Just kidding. You can respond to us on Twitter by <blah blah blah.” Like fucking twitter is so much more pure.

FB is under the gun because they are the biggest, not because they are the worst. I have no doubt a few other social media companies are trying to be as competitive as they can with FB’s misdeeds.

Exactly, which is why during the fast food wars they tended to go after McDonald’s not you know pretty much every restaurant on the planet with a drive-thru window. Or you know Starbucks which has as many if not more calories and sugar than some burgers.

I think Facebook does a really terrible job of fulfilling what could arguably be a useful role. That’s my beef with it. Like, I don’t think I’ve seen a social media site or app that does things in a way that I would consider to be useful, much less superior to previously existing methods of communication online. But there are absolutely ones that do what Facebook does, but better, and I can’t use them because the point is to connect with people and nobody else is using them. drives me nuts.

We must fight.

They’re crispier. I am objectively correct about this.

Anyway, Facebook is dangerous because it’s unregulated. And now the wild, wild west is coming to an end.

I don’t know how regulation helps prevent Facebook’s ultimate problem, which is that people are imbeciles.

Funnel cakes are, in fact, the greatest dessert, but only when coated with an overly generous layer of that thick, sludgy vanilla icing.

And as I believe was mentioned up thread, it’s fairly easy for them to skirt the regulations anyway. Figure out who the regulators are and don’t show them the infringing options.

Can’t fix people, but you can control giant corporations taking advantage of their stupidity.

@Armando: You got it all wrong, man. Funnel cakes are best when covered in powdered sugar, which immediately melts into the filthy dark fry oil to make a sugary-- but not vanilla-y-- sludge.

I think the only solution is for us to meet at a county fair in some central location–let’s say Pennsylvania–and eat every variety of funnel cake on offer until one of us dies or is proven right or both.

Those all suck compared to a fluffy, sugar covered beignet. And I will sit here and snipe sarcastically at anyone who says otherwise.

You fool.

Beignets lack the severe powerful crunch you get from funnel cakes. The only fresh-fried dough that competes with funnel cakes are churros, which are the same thing, but with ridges and cinnamon-sugar and thick chocolate dip. But they lack the distinct je ne sais quoi sensation of pulling a hot sticky branch off a sugary nest and shoving it into your mouth hole.

Beignets also lack that feeling of ‘oh my god, there’s a brick in my abdomen’ you get from eating deep-fried dough. I can live without a little crunch in my life.

Que? Beignets are deep-fried dough. Just pate au choux, rather than a cake batter.

A day without abdomen bricks is a day that doesn’t bring me meaningfully closer to being freed from my quivering flesh prison.