The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

GHWB is in frail health himself, and been in-and-out of the hospital several times of late. Barbara passing might spell the end for him, too.

That was the thought I had as well

Well, yeah! He’ll need to be paid a lot of money to cover his gambling debts!

Speaking of needing money, Trump’s fundraising emails have become a lot more strident this week. (I apparently signed up for them when I did some stuff like answering certain polls or bundled birthday wishes for a certain president with several policy changes I wanted him to see. Sure, the chances of anyone in power seeing those polls are low, but what could it hurt?)

“I want to be sure you’re still with me”? Whatever intern put that together is starting to sound clingy and desperate.

I think the Spartans were probably tougher.

Homosexuality in the militaries of ancient Greece was regarded as contributing to morale.[1] Although the primary example is the Sacred Band of Thebes, a unit said to have been formed of same-sex couples, the Spartan tradition of military heroism has also been explained in light of strong emotional bonds resulting from homosexual relationships.[2] Various ancient Greek sources record incidents of courage in battle and interpret them as motivated by homoerotic bonds.

Very true. On a similar salary I paid $800 more in tax this past year.

Tax cuts my arse. This was probably the largest tax increase that I have ever paid.

The cuts are for the 2018 tax year, which you will file in April of 2019. Aside from perhaps a small change in your paycheck, you haven’t seen the outcome yet. That said, most people won’t notice a big difference when they file next year either. Your taxes might go up or down slightly from 2017, depending on your situation.

The really basic test to see if you’ll benefit is to count the number of owned or leased private jets (full-time) you currently possess. If it’s over zero then you’ll benefit bigly from the tax cuts.

I don’t think this is due to the tax cuts, since they wouldn’t have impacted last year’s taxes.

Thanks Obama!

I checked ahead to see how things will sit, and since I can’t deduct hardly any of the medical expenses I have in the future, I’m hurt by this. I get the feeling they wrote the tax code that way on purpose to strangle people like myself.

This could hurt many elderly and others (like yourself) who will no longer be able to benefit by writing off medical expenses on the Schedule A. Hopefully the larger standard deduction covers it for most. But I believe (it’s been awhile since we talked about this so I may be mistaken) the deduction still exists you would just not see it unless you exceeded the standard deduction.

I don’t see how the larger deduction could help most who have to pay what is it, 7.5% of their AGI for medical expenses… or higher. The additional deduction just doesn’t seem that big to me. if you are in a high income tax state, that’s a doubly whammy… that went through right, I thought it did.

Like I said above I have forgotten specifics, but the new standard deduction is basically double the 2017 rate. So what that means is that to use a Sch A you will need more deductions than that new standard deduction. If you have $25k in medical bills, with a low income you may still be using sch A.

The problem is, and the misleading part of course, is that the new standard deduction actually includes your personal exemption, as it disappears in 2018.

Sure, for the so-called lower class this might not hurt them but for the middle class, the group that makes money but isn’t rolling in it… 7.5% is chump change and I suspect they’ll get hurt by this potentially by a lot despite the doubling.

The 7.5% has always been there. Under Obamacare it was supposed to go up to 10% but that was rolled back this year. That 2.5% was supposed to help pay for ACA.

Let me put it another way. 100k is 7500 so if you had say 20k, don’t you subtract the 7500 and get to deduction that. Now the personal exemption goes up around 3-4k, something like that?

I’m doing this from memory. I might be off on some of these numbers. I’ve only heard of one person in my circle that did this, and their expenses were well beyond 10k.

Personal exemption is actually gone entirely now.
The standard deduction is what is doubled, which only applies if you aren’t deducting anything.

Oh right. I meant Standard Deduction.

So even though it doubles, doubling for a single person is around 6k, I think you could have received more than that if your medical expenses and your income was relatively high. It can be a net negative some not rich rich people experiencing unusually high out of pocket medical issues.