The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

No one is surprised by the Huckabee thing though. He probably has admin access at the NPI.

Totally not the racist party.

Edit: Also delivering MN to Trump is hysterical.

Please note RE: the Reagan/Mondale matchup in MN:

1. That was over thirty years ago.

2. Even then, Mondale won by less than 4,000 votes out of 2.01 million cast, so only .02% of the vote.

3. One of the state’s forms of highest regard is to say “why, he’s from here”, whether the connection is warranted (Bob Dylan, Prince, Hubert Humphrey, the Jolly Green Giant, the Coen Brothers) or nebulous (Judy Garland, Winona Ryder, Sisqó, Fran Tarkenton, Mary Tyler Moore). That was easily worth a few thousand votes to Mondale. Hell, 1984 was my first presidential election, or at least the first presidential election I took part in at my elementary school. (It was not a legally valid vote.) I was only in first grade, literally the only thing I knew about Mondale was that he was Minnesotan, and so that’s why I voted for him. I doubt any of the 2020 presidential candidates will have that built in Minnesotan native vote.

4. In Minnesota in 2016, Hillary only beat Trump by 1.5% of the vote, which worked out to only about 45,000 votes.

I wouldn’t treat threats of MN flipping red as hysterical.

In Nunes defense, and I hate doing this, he has little invested in the winery and knows nothing of day to day operations. The owners are old friends of his.

The event that made the news involved only the wineries boat, which was auctioned off for the day by a charity and so the winery had no knowledge of who was on the boat or what they did.

The Fresno Bee has been about as partisan as you can be in trying to paint Nunes for some kind of wrong doing here. It’s like blaming someone for owning stock in Wells Fargo for the actions of their CEO.

And guess what else, the winery sold a couple cases to a Russian several years ago. Yea, the Bee thought that was important.

I can’t help but think a blue wave in the fall flipping either house is just going to make things worse. It’s going to give Trump an actual target that his people will be able to rail against every single day. When he talks about “Democrats” stopping his policies now, it rings totally hollow. A year from now if there is a blue House or Senate or both? Ugh.

That said, it has to happen. I expect there to be violence afterward.

If the Democrats take the house, they will at least have subpoena power to actually investigate things. That’s of critical importance at this moment.

They can have open investigations, and force people to answer questions in public.

To us. You are thinking about this rationally. To his supporters, reality is just some far-fetched coastal liberal elite nonsense.

It’s going to make Trump and his followers crankier, yes. The yammering and howling will be enormous.

But (though you’d never know it with the GOP in charge) Congress has the power to prevent Trump from doing certain things, and start to fix things he’s already done.

It would be foolish to imagine that a bunch of yammering and howling is somehow worse than what we have now, which is a Trump Administration completely unrestrained by Congress, custom, or decency. A bit of noise is a small price to pay for, say, not sending separated kids to detention camps.

I’m with you. I just feel like we’re in for more than just “yammering and howling”. There are seriously unhinged people fighting for their 1950’s future right now and they do have guns, a lot of guns.

Mueller is the “Witch Hunt” today. Congress will accept that moniker or worse tomorrow.

I think this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better, if it ever does get better…

This is what it feels like to me too, and then they’re surprised when women, minorities and members of the LGBQTA are angry, likely seriously not okay with their attempt to make everyone second class or no-class citizens again. They even try to compare with losing rights and humanity as somehow just being a sore loser.

A political analysis raised a very good point if the Democrat win a lot seats but don’t take a majority, the net effect will be just to increase the powers of the fringe groups, freedom caucus etc.

if you shoot the king you better kill him

In terms of this Congressional term, that might be almost good as a majority. Further fragmentation among the Rs, even less chance of passing anything substantial.

But if it leads to more fringers elected in a future cycle…yeah, not good.

Most of them are a bunch of fucking old pieces of shit who can’t get off their fat asses to do anything.

Some of them are crazy, but whatever… if they snap and start doing actual crimes, at least they can be easily identified and thrown in jail.

We can never be reluctant to do the right thing out of fear that terrible people will react like terrible people.

Or else what? If House Dems subpeona Cohen, for example, what’s their plan if he just refuses to show up? Do you think the Justice Department is going to go arrest him?

Winning the House is imperative, but it’s just going to take us to the next level. It won’t solve anything in and of itself.

Well said.

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1011288779859136516

I actually don’t think more yammering and howling would be worse after a Blue Wave. I think that 2 years of experience with allowing the yammerers and howlers run the country into the ground while ignoring everyone else will have been enough to hopefully sideline those voices, at least to those who have been listening. There may be more of it, but it may well have less impact.

Now, if Trump had lost, and Hillary were President, that yammering and howling would be gaining and influencing those guns a LOT more. the Russian investigation would be flipped, most of the yammerers and howlers would have been screaming for 2 years about how the Clinton machine plus the Russians had stolen the election, The GOP House would be investigating Everything (capital E intended) with full throated yammering and howling on Fox News and the other networks would also be bending over backwards to acknowledge it and give it even more life than the emails and Benghazi!, etc.

Here’s an interesting article on one of the primary targets of those yammerers and howlers:

Pelosi touts the party’s Better Deal, debuted in 2017: “Better jobs, better pay, better future,” she says. The platform seeks to deliver on two of Trump’s broken promises: a $1 trillion infrastructure bill and price negotiation on Medicare drugs – and includes initiatives for rural broadband, job training and pension protections. It’s been panned by progressives for ignoring people of color and its tepid economic ambition. Zogby calls it “eminently forgettable.”

There comes a point where sheer self preservation overrides this in normal people, and you have to be a Sophie Scholl-style hero to do the right thing, which most of us wouldn’t do.

The whole ballgame, of course, is to avoid getting to that point. So yeah, now is the critical time.