The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

Interesting. I also learned that “gyp” was common parlance for the NYT in 1934 and that you could get a return trip to Montreal for $8 (which you might think was a lot of money back then but apparently summer socks cost 55c a pair. I wish I could get a return trip to Montreal for the cost of 16 pairs of socks).

It’s common parlance most places to this day to be honest. It’s one of those weird words that if you aren’t told the origin of you’ll just use fairly often. The world needs a short word to express “being ripped off” but apparently they’re all snipes at ethnic groups.

And considering the 1930’s in America, you’re honestly lucky they aren’t discussing the “Evil of the Jew and Negro” or something equally horrific.

Yeah, it was common when I was growing up in the SF Bay Area in the 80s.

Even had a kick ass song by a kick ass band.

They tried before to manufacture outrage and failed - Miller and Nielsen were both separately protested/heckled when they went to Mexican (!) restaurants in DC last week, but those incidents got no traction in the press. Then Sanders goes to a tiny restaurant an hour’s drive from DC and, boom, third time’s the charm.

I guess it took them a week to train the bots on how to whip up flying monkey outrage on this topic.

(Sorry in advance for the gigantic post. If it bothers anyone let me know and I’ll delete it.)

Ted Nugent Threatens to Kill Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton During Vicious Onstage Rant

trump invited Nugent to the WH.

More GOP civility:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/26/politics/trump-south-carolina-reporter-acosta/index.html

Approximately three hours before Trump took the stage in West Columbia, an elderly woman walked right up to me and ordered me to leave the venue. Her language would likely make her grandkids blush.
“Get the f*** out of here,” she told me. “Out of here. Out. Out. Out. Out.”
As she screamed at me, she was waving a campaign sign for South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster, who would later share the stage with Trump to receive his endorsement for another four years in office. The hundreds of people in the crowd roared with approval.
I tried to shake her hand but she refused.
“No,” she said. “Out. Out. Out.”
“Ma’am I have every right to be here,” I reminded her.
“Out. Out. Out,” she continued. "You are scum. Get out of here.

Michelle Goldberg on Chris Hayes:

Edit: Only religious principles count.

Chris McMurray and his wife Kelly had only been in a business a few months when Biden’s advance team walked into their Radford bakery, Crumb and Get It, hoping the veep could stop in for some cookies and a photo opportunity while they were campaigning in the area, but McMurray turned down the offer.

He made the decision “because of conviction and principle,” the shop owner told CBS affiliate WDBJ 7 at the time. “I have a difference of opinion of the folks in that campaign, that’s what it was. Also, taking a stance for my faith, my faith in God.”

Same. But then I remember the right was outraged when Obama wore a tan suit, or fist-bumped his wife. There’s a huge media empire dedicated to farming the fearful and easily angered. With that much money at stake, there will always be an outrage.

I love when white people tell POC how to act or when it’s appropriate for us to be offended.

We need to start calling the media ‘right-leaning’ in every story, so they’ll start thinking that too and correct. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

But but but but but… how dare the left adopt a tactic the right has used successfully for the last 50 years? I mean. it is absolutely and completely true that the mainstream press favors Republicans. But surely saying anything that offends the delicate sensibilities of Republicans just makes the left worse than the people who throw shit at restaurants? (clutches pearls)

“Look we’re fucking cowards with no moral backbone.”

I mean, Fox deliberately lies all the time, so why wouldn’t Fox viewers just assume everyone else does?

For those with authoritarian mindsets, lying is perfectly fine so long as it’s being done by the right people.

This is 100% false. The dialog in DC may have been more polite, but out in the real world, it most definitely wasn’t. 4 dead in Ohio when the national guard opened fire, the riots at the 68 democratic convention in Chicago, the murdered civil rights protesters in Mississippi, the fire bombed freedom ride busses, etc.

Maybe we need to start shooting more politicians to remind him what it was actually like.

Cause that shit happened all the time back then.

“Now listen, you queer, call me a crypto-Nazi again and I’ll sock you in your goddamn face and you’ll stay plastered.”

– William F. Buckley, bastion of paleo conservative gentility

Buckley and Gore Vidal were such good biddies… :)

I am sure I have mentioned it before here but I cringe whenever I hear people say how bad it is now when I remember what growing up in the late 60’s and 70’s was like. Knowing that whenever you saw a News Break it could be some political figure being shot.

People who didn’t live thru those times have no idea what it was like to know that feeling. Or the feeling that the Russians, or Chinese, or the US might actually launch nukes during the night. Or that in those days radical leftists actually were bombing targets and killing people.

Well, still sounds better than turning on the television and wonder which school or church was shot up.