The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

I will admit, while that did happen back then (when did the guy shoot up the U of Texas?) it sure didn’t happen with the regularity we get now.

Of course back then we did have the daily body count in Vietnam on the nightly news. That was cheery.

EDIT: 1966, 18 dead

It also hoovered up people in that age group and sent them overseas.

Specifically regarding the political fallout of foreign wars, I think it’s hard to overstate what a big difference it made that there was a draft then and there isn’t one now. Also, of course, American body counts are an order of magnitude lower in Iraq/Afghanistan than they were in Vietnam.

Well, recall that we currently have white supremacists bombing churches and killing people.

There were more bombings back then, though. A lot more. Not sure how the death tolls stack up. White supremacists were also blowing up shit in the '60s (the church bombing that’s dramatized in Selma, for example).

I just feel, based entirely on historical accounts, not having been alive at the time, that it seems like the issue then was more about “we need to vote out the bastards who are getting us into this war etc.” rather than existential fear for the Republic itself. But I could be wrong. I’d be curious to read some Watergate-era op eds. Were people afraid Nixon was going to tear down the system, or was it more just hoping a corrupt one-off got the boot?

I didn’t mean to discount what the racists in the south were doing, only that the left was not all angels politely protesting the war.

Well it wasn’t just the south either.

i graduated high school the year Nixon left office. I remember seeing some of the Watergate hearings in congress. I remember at the time people thinking it was more about Nixon’s weaknesses than any attempt to tear down the political system.

Agreed, racists are not restricted by geography.

Unsurprising. The local Democrat has been running unopposed there for awhile now, but that area contains some real shitholes like Rockingham and Lumberton. I dunno if Walker would unseat the incumbent, but if it’d happen anywhere in this shithole of a state, NC-048 is definitely the one.

Yup, this fine fellow

He… he missed the entire Old Testament?

That’s fucking impressive. And yet he hasn’t read the New Testament either.

Bravo, sir, fucking bravo.

Should just stop there when it comes to the Bible, and what he is saying.

Look, he’s just trying to have a discussion about Jews being descendants of Satan. Let’s try to be civil.

No ad hominems. I bet you want to punch him don’t you? Savage.

I’m a lover, not a puncher! I want someone else to punch him.

<Rolls up her sleeves] any particular place or should I improvise?

Do you want me to hold, or block the cameras?