The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

Law and Order party

What’s worse than deplorable? Barbarian? Inhuman?

Hey, be happy they didn’t start chanting “Blow her up!”

“… but don’t mail bombs, let the court system do its job at its own pace” doesn’t quite roll off the tongue.

Good post.

I have 25 years in management consulting. There are things I notice right away to assess corporate culture, and I often see the literal architecture reflecting the cultural one. When the executives and the workers inhabit the same spaces, that is a sign of a healthy, collaborative business. They may have real problems, but endemic and instinctive mistrust of management is unlikely to be among them.

And one way or the other, that comes from the C-Suite.

I feel pretty lucky to work for a corporation where the culture coming down from the executives is, “We bust our asses and we expect you to as well.” I’m sure they are handsomely compensated but there are no wild executive perks and they work every bit as hard as everyone else in the company. It’s all about results.

The day my former company was acquired and integrated, the executives drove over a mountain through a blizzard to meet with us. Roads around here can get really bad so usually when there’s a daytime blizzard, folks leave early to beat the worst of the weather but after the meeting our new CEO said, “This is the communications industry and we’re expected to deliver 24/7 despite the weather so let’s all get back to work.” And I was a little resentful at the time but here’s the thing – They stayed all day as well and then drove back over the mountains in a fucking blizzard at the end of the day.

It’s a shame that this type of ethic is the exception rather than the rule.

Andy Grove was the face of Intel during its heyday in the 80s and 90s. But the man behind egalitarian culture was Co-founder Gordon Moore (Moore’s law). The man could easily give Warren Buffett a contest for the most unassuming and humble multi-billionaire, (with a Cal Tech PHd and ton of science and engineer awards he shouldn’t be) and I have lots of stories about the man. On the subject executives and workers inhabiting the same space, this one is pretty classic.

As is typical of companies growing rapidly, Intel was often running out of parking spots. So they bought a parking lot and ran a shuttle from the parking lot to the headquarter. I sat next to Gordon on one shuttle and I asked Gordon did you ever imagine having to take a parking shuttle to Intel, he laughed and said no. I then asked do you ever regret not have executive parking spots. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I end up getting 5+ minutes description of his thought process of why Intel didn’t have them.

“First you need to define who is an executive. Next, you have to have somebody police the parking spot. Then you have to assign a secretary to manage the parking list and keep track of who is qualified. Then you need figure out how many park space to be allocated. Is just people in the building or leave spots for executives from other buildings?” Plus several things, which I’ve forgotten. At the end, I was convinced that handing out perks was way more complicated than I thought.

I had recently completely my MBA, and I remember thinking this man is more than just a brilliant engineer he is a good manager, and also thinking how come they never teach this at stuff business school. The fairness issue, building trust in management, encouraging a flat structure are probably very important, but for Gordon it was more just that hassles involved in figuring out parking spaces, was time not spent making better computer chips.

Anyway, that an interesting insight on how architecture impacts culture. I can’t even imagine how bad the culture in the Federal government is between the Trumpester and career employees. Since, it is clear that for many of Trump appointees it is all about the perks and the politics and nothing about the mission.

Fuck Newt. He should be deported.

He’s apparently a big fan of the moon. Maybe we could send him there.

Let us not despoil the moon. It will be way more expensive, and as far as I know, a lot harder… but let us send him into the cleansing fire of the sun.

Can we risk how that might warp plant life here on Earth?

Agreed.

Least we all forget the past, this was a guy kicked to the curb as the house speaker. And it was over midterms of a Democratic president, when they even gained seats if I recall correctly.

He’s making bold statements like this for exactly one reason, a paycheck. All he does is write books about Trump and the idealist cornerstones of a Republican party of a very distant past.

I think it’s final. The GOP is totally, and uttery morally bankrupt. There is no longer a shred of anything decent left in them.

A priest recites part of the parable of the sheep and the goats, from the book of Matthew, and is removed by police.

I don’t understand how people in GOP think of themselves as Christian’s and yet fail follow the most important commandments, which is to love God and to love your neighbor as yourself.

I believe someone on Twitter posted that the commandments and forgiveness only appy to follow Christian’s. That’s insane, but if that were the rationale, they are going to be in for a big surprise when they are judged.

Probably news to Moses, too.

Too everyone.

Being a Christian, a good one, is fucking tough. I fail all the time, but I try.

I doubt the Christian Right tries.