The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

This is what makes it so hard to accept the idea that conservatives were ever, at least in my lifetime, people of honest good character. McConnell has been in office since 1985, and was once pro-choice and pro-union. He abandoned those positions and took an increasingly hard-right stance for no apparent reason other than to stay in power, as the voters in his party and state moved to the right. There aren’t any principles there at all.

Speaking of which, here’s the current longest serving Senator (since 1976) and a (supposedly) devout Mormon. An exemplar of the Republican Party, Orrin Hatch!

It’s just a little light treason.

He also ran on a campaign about term limits and throwing bums out of office because they get corrupted by so much time in Washington.

Honestly, the hypocrisy makes him the perfect representative for Utah Mormons.

The state’s health department has created a nearly $180,000-a-year civil service “advisory physician” job for Chief Medical Executive Eden Wells that starts Jan. 1, which prompted criticism from a prominent Flint Democratic lawmaker.

Moving her from an appointed post to a civil service job would make it far more difficult for Democratic Gov.-elect Gretchen Whitmer to fire her when she takes office next month. Wells was originally set to leave state government at the end of the month.

On Friday, 67th District Judge William Crawford bound over Wells for trial on charges of involuntary manslaughter, obstruction of justice and lying to a law enforcement officer connected to the 2014-15 Legionnaires’ disease outbreak in the Flint area. The pneumonia-like disease killed at least 12 individuals and sickened 79 others.

Crawford ruled that there was sufficient evidence that Wells knew about the Legionnaires’ disease outbreak and was slow to warn other state officials and the public. Gov. Rick Snyder didn’t issue a public warning until a hastily arranged mid-January 2016 press conference in Detroit.

House GOP was set to hold hearings on the evils of minimum wage. Here’s one of their witnesses that was set to testify:

Wow.

House Republicans were set to hold a hearing today to trash the minimum wage.

Now Politico is reporting the hearing was postponed because homophobic blog posts by one of the GOP witnesses came to light – calling to “tax and regulate homosexual acts.”

The witness is economist Joseph Sabia. Here’s the blog post: web.archive.org/web/2003090521…

He also wrote a blog post arguing that feminism “taught young women that equality is achieved by acting like promiscuous sluts.”

That post is titled “College Girls: Unpaid Whores.”

You can find it here: web.archive.org/web/2003120500…

More from Sabia:

"But first we have to mount the assault on Big Gay (no, I am not talking about Rosie O’Donnell)…

"We can tax gay nightclubs, websites, personal ads, sexual paraphernalia, and so forth… We can cripple gay-related industries & get them right where we want them…

“All gay clubs will have to feature huge, flashing warning signs like ‘CAUTION: Entering this nightclub may increase your chance of contracting STDs and dying.’”

^ This was the witness House Republicans were bringing in to make the case against raising the minimum wage.

He sounds a little more like a politician than an economist.

Wow. How is that guy not a Republican House Representative by now?

I just looked him up. He’s a real economics professor at American University. Those posts are from a blog he wrote while a PhD student at Cornell. I suspect things are going to get rough for him at AU.

He left American University in 2010. Now he’s a professor at San Diego State University. Things might get rough for him there too.

To be fair, his more recent work sounds more like an economist than a politician. But still an asshole.

Our findings show that gay males are: (i) less likely to be continuously employed than their heterosexual counterparts, and (ii) face an annual earnings penalty of 16–21%. There are also important differences in earnings dynamics for men who transition into (or out of) same‐sex versus opposite‐sex live‐in relationships. Individual fixed effects estimates show that opposite‐sex partnerships are associated with increased earnings for men, while same‐sex partnerships are associated with small declines in earnings that are statistically indistinguishable from zero.

Or a host on Fox News?

People orchestrating boycotts against things they don’t like is totally bad.

Also, having the government actually oppress things we don’t like, is good.

Also, big government is bad.

Okay assuming those are just facts… what was the reason he decided to look at these specific points, what drove him to investigate?

Folks look not all republicans are unhinged lunatics. There are plenty of moderate Conservative sites out there espousing perfectly reasonable views.

Oh wait.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/12/11/stigma-conservative-politics-worse-stigma-gay/

The Federalist isn’t remotely moderate. Conservatives openly mock it on a daily basis.

They, they are kind of the lunatic Fringe.

Less aliens than Infowars though.

I will take your word for it. They could up the mocking volume a few notches then.

As an indicator, i follow a Twitter account called “Federalist Pitch Bot”

Probably because he’s obsessed by The Gay. He’s written several papers on the topic, and they are all equally dry. But I don’t mean to cherry pick, it’s not the only thing he writes about.

The Effect of Breastfeeding on Educational Attainment: Evidence from Siblings

The Effect of Adolescent Virginity Status on Psychological Wellbeing

Insomnia and Human Capital Acquisition,

Combat Exposure and Domestic Violence

Do Minimum Wages Affect Teen Fertility

Postpartum Maternal Smoking and Childhood Asthma

Do Anti-Bullying Laws Work? New evidence on school safety and youth violence

These topics are not making me think he is more an economist than a politician.

Economists are interested in many of the same sorts of things as politicians. They simply approach these things with a different (aka dismal) perspective.

I have never heard a politician use “declines that are statistically indistinguishable from zero” correctly in a sentence.