The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

Random aside; did you guys know that Joe Scarborough is a Republican former member of Congress?

Heh. Yep. Hey, maybe it’s him…but I gotta wonder how many current members of congress are spilling it to JoeScar. Maybe Flake and McCain are, who knows?

Yeah, that post above was great. Like getting a bullet between the eyes is great. Thanks again DJT voters for voting in this incredibly qualified man.

It also doesn’t make sense. Pence gives them tax reform (and whatever else they can agree to within the party) without any of the risk of annihilation.

That’s my gut feeling too, but it could be they fear that the resulting political chaos would cripple Congress and prevent any legislation.

The South is the area more likely to flip. I’d say North Carolina and Georgia will flip back before Ohio does.

The thing is, if the Republicans turn their backs on Trump, odds are Trump declares full war on the Republicans, and the Republicans will lose that war. Trump’s more popular among the Republican base than any establishment figure. They could swap parties and screw the economic liberals, but the risk there is the economic liberals join up with the Trump supporters and then you get a white nationalist Bernie Sanders- that’s the rich folks worst nightmare.

Yeah, but it’s political suicide.

The House is elected every two years. Even with Trump winning the presidency in 2016, the GOP lost 6 seats in the House. Trump’s approval rating is in the toilet, but among GOP voters, it’s still around 70% (which itself is terrible - usually 85 to 95% of same-party voters approve of their POTUS no matter what).

Let’s do some speculative math:

First, let’s say that the 30% of Republicans that disapprove of Trump would fully support impeachment. I think that’s silly and that a goodly proportion of them would be disillusioned about the GOP in general, but let’s just give them that whole third.

Of the 70% who think that Trump is doing a good job, a portion of them will vote GOP no matter what. They just can’t stomach the idea of a hippy in the White House. Let’s be generous and say that 90% of that 70% would accept the GOP-led impeachment and simply pull the lever for whomever has an “R” next to their name in 2018 or 2020 or whenever.

That still means that the GOP candidates will suffer the wrath of ~7% of the GOP voters. Voters that were all-in on Trump and will either stay home or actively vote AGAINST the GOP incumbents for sending Cheeto Hitler packing. And although I hate to think of what it means, I reckon that’s… ah… a “conservative” estimate. I suspect it’s closer to 20 or 25% of GOP voters that are… let’s call them “Hard-Core White Grievance” voters. It sounds so much nicer than “Racist/Nazi Shitheels”.

In most districts, losing ~7% of your voters is instant defeat. In GOP districts that would NOT be decided by 7% of the Republican voters staying home, I would argue that anyone voting for impeachment would be primaried.

Wilson is amazing on Twitter. Regarding former hardcore Trumpers who now say they made a ‘huge mistake’, I’m mystified. He’s exactly the same shitheel in office that he was during the campaign. No one should be surprised. I suppose some in the GOP thought he’d be a better pal to them. Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind.

Yup. Nothing Trump has said or done has been surprising. Those of us who were paying attention knew this is exactly what we were going to get.

Exactly that. They thought they could suck up to him and gain power. Turns out sucking up to him means nothing.
He does not reward loyalty. He demands it and then throws you under the bus no matter what you did.

Who could possibly foresee that Trump is a raging narcissist and egomaniac? It’s not as if he plasters his name on everythi… oh. Oh, no.

You know who else people thought that about?

#dailygodwin

And yet he always shocks me with his terribleness.

I’m getting rather tired of him.

He wears you out, but that’s typical of people with personality disorders. They tend to keep things at full-tilt, boogie-woogie crazy.

“Values Voter Summit” in full swing

Hope that SOB ends up in federal PMITA prison.