The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

So, more racism, then.

From what I’ve seen? Yep.

This is ridiculous. VA is anecdotal? Since when are actual election returns anecdotal? And how the hell does results from a deep red state prove anything? It’s not about wooing Republicans, it’s about expanding the Democratic base with the persuadables. Which VA shows is possible. But, no, this is the narrative so let’s just twist reality to fit.

This forum is getting fucking insane with the self-defeatist bullshit drama.

Nah, just pessimistic. I’m pretty sure everyone in this thread votes.

Well yeah. One day of elections in one state is not a trend.

The Dems should start running ads showing the Terminators gunning people down in a ruined hellscape, but CG Maga hats onto the Terminators and Jesus behind them, and say “This is the future Republicans want.” Because it literally is.

I would’ve gone more Hunger Games, but sure.

Let me get this straight.
Democrats win in VA, it’s meaningless anecdotal data. (Edit: By the way, Dems didn’t just win in VA, they won most everywhere else, too.)
And those special elections Democrats loss? What happen to the margins of victory in solidly red districts? That doesn’t count either.

But Republicans win a Senate seat in a deep red state, and that’s the proof we’re doomed? Is that how this works?

I apologize for the tenor of the posts (I had outpatient surgery this morning and i feel like shit) but good lord it’s confounding to listen to the drumbeat of incessant doom. If I didn’t know any better reading this forum I would conclude trump is the most popular president ever. Yeah there’s a lot of GOP fuckery, that’s how minority parties hold onto power but it’s also not inevitable they keep it.

Anyway.

OK, you want to talk about this when you’re feeling better, hit me up. Because I don’t really know what you’re talking about with republicans winning one race meaning doom.

I can’t speak for others, but here’s where I’m at.

The election of 2016 made me a political pessimist. Probably forever. I have lost most of my respect for the American electorate. Not because Trump won, but because he wasn’t absolutely smashed. Any stronger showing than a 1984-esque landslide defeat would have been an embarrassment for our nation. That he won, is almost indescribable.

I don’t think I will ever be optimistic about this country’s political future again. Exposure to stupidity and malice on such a massive scale is, frankly, traumatic.

But I will vote, and I will march. If I have discretionary income (not bloodly likely given the baby, college fund, etc.) I will donate. Best I can do.

It hard to be cheery in NC, where the state is so heavily gerrymandered that there’s basically no chance Dems will win it back.

It’s not just one election. Democrats are consistently performing about ten points better than they usually do. This may not matter so much in special elections, because special elections often occur when a sitting legislator is tapped for another post, and the GOP intentionally taps legislators who come from safe districts. But there will be elections in a lot more vulnerable districts in 2018, and if this trend keeps up then the GOP will lose considerable power.

An anecdote is hearsay, no? So the election being a fact would not qualify.

Alabama Republican Senate Candidate Roy Moore co-authored a study course, published in 2011 and recently obtained by ThinkProgress, that instructs students that women should not be permitted to run for elected office. If women do run for office, the course argues, people have a moral obligation not to vote for them. The course is also critical of the women’s suffrage movement, which in 1920 secured some American women the right to vote.

I had a reaction typed out but it was so fueled by rage that I didn’t think it fit for public consumption. So instead here’s this:

“the battle against egalitarianism”

These folks are aware we live in a republic, right? Isn’t that word even in their party name, somewhere?

Al-Qaeda knows that their best chance of destroying America is to let Roy Moore get elected.

I mean AQ probably loves the guy, right? Kiddy-diddling religious fundamentalists of a feather, and all that…

I believe Trump has had a real effect on white liberals and millenials- he’s scaring the crap out of them. Unsure about minority liberals at the moment- but he might be doing it there as well.

Dems could probably do well playing the same politics of fear as Republicans, especially if they started radicalizing themselves.

BTW I think Dems in NC at least get Cooper a Veto in 2018. THey only need to flip 3 House seats for that, and the NC State legislature is actually less gerrymandered than Virginia’s House of Delegates (though NC does run about 2-3 points more conservative)