The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

He feels he made it past the crisis point and now can just double down all day long.

Thing is, it works, until it’s just you and Blondi in a bunker.

The non-accusers tact is an interesting one. If you think about it, less than .0000039 percent of women in the United States were sexually assaulted by Riy Moore as children

Doug Jones, going down swinging at least.

Forgive my formatting, but this is fucked.

Does the idea of Senator Roy Moore

Yeah, fuck that guy!

make it more or less likely that Toyota or anyone else would see Alabama’s image in such a negative way

Uh. Okay, Alabama bad?

that they would cross Alabama off of their list and move on?

Something something, jobs?

I think I get what he’s saying – that Roy Moore will tarnish the image of Alabama because oh so many reasons, and that will make it less attractive to our Japanese capitalist overlords – but damn, man.

What’s fucked? Joneses’ slightly tortured syntax (which, fair point), or luring high-paying manufacturing jobs to Alabama? (Which, is that still a thing?)

Sic 'em Doug.

Maybe he means it’s “fucked” that this is what might cause businesses to pull out rather than Aladamnbama’s otherwise pristine history? I dunno. I been drankin’ a little whiskey this evening.

He’s basically saying: “If you vote for a pedophile, do you think companies like Toyota are going to be opening plants in Alabama? Or are they going to go to a state that didn’t elect a fucking child molester?”

I don’t think Japan, which has, let us say, a number of issues in this area with high school girls in particular, is a good country to rely on to take a moral high ground here.

The idea that corporations are going to save us from ourselves by only doing business in places where the leaders have high moral fiber is… uh, let’s say… an idea without much evidence to back it up.

To an extent. If everyone decides to boycott anyone opening plants in Alabama it might have an effect though and companies consider those things when they’re rating pros and cons. Worked in NC for the most part. Of course… almost no one wants to open a business in AL as it is, especially a foreign one.
Because it’s fucking Alabama.

You guys are overthinking it. This is Doug Jones playing the optics for Alabama voters, the vast majority of whom experience “economic uncertainty”. He’s using the boogeyman spectre of good factory jobs being driven away from Alabama because voters put a n accused child predator in office. He knows it has no real bearing on corporate decisions, but he also knows Alabama’s blue collar working class does NOT know this.

In simpler terms, he’s courting the working class while Roy Moore courts the evangelicals. It’s a solid strategy. More Democrats nationwide should be taking every opportunity to loudly point out in no uncertain terms that much of what GOP representatives currently in power are doing is actually harmful to the working class, and reiterate that they, Democrats, have been “wrong to not focus on this very important issue in the past” and are willing to make it a top priority moving forward. Then, of course, actually DO SO. The best way to win back a decent portion of the Fox News masses is to produce results where the GOP has failed to do so.

I used to live in Alabama. I know at the time Mercedes used to have a plant there, and I think Honda and Toyota as well.

Looks like there’s 4 car manufacturers there now: Mercedes, Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai.

Yeah, this was a big deal about a decade back – as their US market-share increased, foreign car manufacturers worked out that it could be cheaper to do the final assembly and painting in the US as opposed to doing it in Japan/Germany/whatever and shipping the finished cars over.

The obvious assumption was that they would repurpose or build new factories around Detroit because… cars. But then it became apparent that building new facilities was going to be necessary anyway, so why bother with the unions in Michigan? Other states smelled the sweet odor of New Jobs and a race to the bottom ensued, with Alabama winning a good chunk of the work: easy access to ports; no unions to speak of; plenty of unemployment (at the time).

I’m getting sick of the whole, “Rep’s are supporting people now who will hurt them later!” argument. Rep’s are under no illusion that if they get their way, they will benefit more than under Democrats. It’s simply that everyone else will have to pay the price/make up the difference.

OMG hahahahaha ROFL

Just the other day I barely survived a drive-by conducted by one of the many jackrabbits in my neighborhood.

Moving to Gov’t of, by and for the GOP donors, using lies, misinformation and propaganda to get there:

there is a more straightforward reason why not a single Democrat backed the legislation: The GOP not only entirely excluded Democrats from the process of drafting the bills, but the party punished Democratic constituencies—from residents of high-tax states to graduate students—in the bills’ substance. The tax plans represent a political closed circle: bills written solely by Republicans and passed solely by Republican votes that shower their greatest benefits on Republican constituencies. Meanwhile, the biggest losers in the plans are the constituencies of the Democrats who universally opposed them. It’s not just redistribution: The tax bills are also grounded in retribution.

In that way, the tax debate offers the clearest measure of how powerfully the Republican Party in the Trump era is folding inward. Neither Trump nor GOP congressional leaders are even pretending to represent the entire country—or to consider perspectives beyond those of their core coalition…

…On the tax and especially the recent health-care bills, the GOP Congress short-circuited the legislative process to minimize public input. Leadership negotiated all the key decisions behind closed doors. That dampened public debate and ultimately forced legislators to vote on massive (and at times handwritten) packages with little time to consider consequences…

…This confrontational instinct extends beyond taxes. Violating conservatives’ usual fondness for federalism, the House passed legislation Wednesday that would force every state to recognize a concealed-weapon permit granted in any state. The administration is seeking to withhold federal grants to pressure so-called “sanctuary cities” that limit local cooperation with federal immigration authorities. And Trump is trying to undermine blue-state regulatory standards by allowing the interstate sale of health insurance.

Rejecting independent information: From top to bottom, the party is now routinely dismissing objective information it considers inconvenient.

Wonder if they’ll offer free horseback rides to attract kids to the event?