The Disaster Artist is tearing me apart! (2016)

Casting is rounding out for The Disaster Artist, a behind-the-scenes dramedy about the making of Tommy Wiseau's The Room. James Franco is directing and will play Wiseau (which should be goddamn fascinating), his brother Dave Franco will be Greg (this movie is based on his book), Ari Graynor as Juliette, and Josh Hutcherson as Denny. Other cast members: Kate Upton, Seth Rogen, Sharon Stone, Zac Efron, and Hannibal Buress. Production is slated to begin sometime in Q1.

--- Alan

Frankly, I’d rather have Werner Herzog direct, but I’ll take what I can get.

-Tom

“Oh hi Mark!”

Crazy, I just happened to read The Disaster Artist the other day, and was genuinely moved by Greg and Tommy’s bizarre relationship. I don’t know if they’ll be able to capture that dynamic in the film, but if they do this could be really special. The cast is exciting, especially having both the Franco-brothers on screen. I wonder who’ll play Chris-R?

Zac Efron apparently.

— Alan

Trailer’s releasing tomorrow.

I didn’t realize I wanted to see this movie so much until I saw that poster.

-Tom

Oh damn, I was going to do the “Oh hi, Mark” thing but then Tom beat me to it two years ago. And then I guess that poster. It’s tearing me apaaaaaart!

There you go.

A friend of mine, who has been a “The Room” “fan” for years, hopes the critics will be unkind. He can’t wait to see the headline, “Disaster Artist Earns O High Marks.”

Franco is way too dynamic to play that role. (heh)

That one took me a moment.

Reading this thread has been a rollercoaster. Tom’s pitch perfect idea of having Herzog direct this instantly evaporated any interest i used to have in seeing this, but that poster really ignited some new anticipation.

But under no circumstances will i watch that trailer.

Count me in.

Couldn’t agree more.

Why does James Franco still get work…

The “trailer” is just a short scene from the movie, not a traditional movie trailer where they spoil the whole thing. It’s quite good and I’m now pretty excited for this movie.

It’s a teaser, replaying a well-known shot from the movie (or re-shoot) that pretty much is a dramatization of the same sequence from the book (which the movie is based on).

— Alan

1. His movies make money.

2. Because when he’s not faffing around in a goofball comedy with his buddies, he’s a damn fine actor.

I have no idea how this movie will turn out, since it’s largely a self-made movie with his aforementioned buddies.

Real trailer is out now.

I read the book this movie is based on in about 4 sittings. Could not put it down. So excited for this movie, the story in the book is so much more interesting than the shooting of the movie. The book starts chapters with quotes from The Talented Mr Ripley and Sunset Boulevard, and I think those two films are very good reference points for where the story goes.

Seriously, the book is so good, fascinating look at a deeply strange yet ultimately deep individual. A study in reaching for the American dream of Hollywood.

Cast looks great too, love the choice of casting Dave Franco as Greg Sestero. Having brothers play Greg and Tommy is great.

Seriously read the book, it is a quick read.

Seriously, the book is absolutely fantastic, but I think it’s one of the rare times where the audiobook is the definitive work. Greg Sestero narrates and has the best Tommy impression ever. Though it’s extremely funny, I found it surprisingly moving at times. Lots of empathy for everyone involved.

The movie’s going to be awesome!