The Division 2 - Make Washington D.C. Great Again

I’m still working on getting my Regulus and Eagle Bearer then I will quit.

Welp, wasn’t sure what game I was in the mood for, saw Div 2 + WONY for $24 and decided why not.

So far I’m enjoying the game a lot though I have no idea what the story is. The beginning cutscenes seem to assume you played Div 1 I guess. I know there was a pandemic of some kind, there was some bad guy group called the hyenas, a warship attacked us and we got recalled to a distressed signal in DC. I don’t even know where we were before we went to DC.

I just wish Ubisoft would update it with 60fps support on series x :-(

There are I am sure videos on YouTube if you are so inclined, but as far as I recall, the plot is something like this: On Black Friday (in some year, whenever) a dude with a grudge against modern capitalist society and a very Social Darwinist bug in his ear releases a virus he engineered, spread by physical contact, by infecting a butt-load of paper money that got circulated on the busiest shopping day of the year (talk about a reason for online shopping!). The plague rapidly spread world-wide, killing people en masse, and turning most cities into mass graveyards where for whatever Clancy-esque right wing paranoid reasons hordes of undesirables poured out of the woodwork and set up shop in epic Hollywood gang war fashion.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, there was some sort of political infighting in DC which saw the murder of the President and the ascension of a new leader, a dude you get to rescue in The Division 2. There’s also rumors of a broad-spectrum antibiotic or something that is supposed to cure the plague, but of course it’s lost or stolen or eaten by snake or whatever. The crux of the thing though is The Division, a super-sekret combination off special forces black ops people, undercover police operatives, and general might-makes-right thugs who somehow maintain amazing levels of training and skill while living as sleeper agents with no one the wiser. The President (I think the one who became president when the other one was killed?) activates The Division with some Love Potion #9 or something, and voila, you, the player, are there to save the day. That starts the first game.

The first game has you in NYC, ground zero for the outbreak I think, where you revel in massacring a horde of low-lifes depicted as barely disguised versions of young non-white men doing the sorts of things that terrify middle-class whites who only go into the city to see performances of the Lion King or to get sushi. Eventually you IIRC find the perpetrator, but a rogue Division agent (there is always a rogue agent) makes off with…something? someone? both? that can replicate the plague so there is room for a sequel.

In 2, you start off in NYC being sent to DC to handle a crisis there, though with the WONY DLC you will be heading back to the rotten apple eventually. In this second game you essentially do exactly what you did in the first, only with bad guys who are now slightly less egregious stereotyped. Oh, and there’s the uber-baddies, a bunch of PMC mercenary types who are working for some shadowy group that finds the plague warm and fuzzy (they might have shown up in the first game too, it’s been a while). These guys are your end-game sort of foes.

tl;dr, the only solution for the terrible world we live in is for hard-nosed authoritarians in military-issue jackboots to machine-gun everyone and everyone who would oppose truth, justice, and the American way, as defined by Reagan-era conservatives and people who thought Niedermeyer in Animal House was the second coming of Napoleon.

lol, thanks, that clears some of it up :)

What are the requirements for classified assignments? I have the ultimate edition which has the year 1 pass, but when I walk up to the classified assignment entrance it’s all scrambled, and it won’t let me hold F for the required amount of time. What am I missing?

I’m not sure. I dimly remember doing some of those (they are quite varied in quality IIRC, though some are pretty cool).I also dimly recall them appearing after I did something else? Sorry, I can’t really remember. Perhaps there’s something on one of the guides online.

So I’ve been chipping away at this on and off all on my lonesome for probably over a year, finally finished the main campaign. I picked up the NY expansion on sale and intended to go there after finishing DC, but the Black Tusk has thrown a spanner in the works. So I’m not sure what to do next, do I stay in DC and do all that Tusk stuff or can I zip off to the big apple for a nice change of scenery?

I remember seeing a post here saying something about being stuck in NY until it’s finished if you choose to go there. Any info would be appreciated.

try going off to NYC. if it doesn’t let you, you have to do black tusk invasions first.

Once you go to NYC, you have to finish those missions before the quick travel back to DC is activated. NYC though is well worth doing IMO, with some cool missions and interesting settings.

One thing to do in New York is explore the rooftops. Climb up on them in, say, Chinatown and you’ll find you can cover a lot of the area purely on rooftops, with a lot of cool stuff to find, plus a great view.

Loved Division 2, played most of it from Level 1 through maxxed out with my brother in Co-op. Regretfully quit when we realized we were maxxed out in every way, not keeping any loot, had optimized several types of builds, and it had become same old same old every time we played. But until then it was a great ride.

Thank y’all for the info. I read somewhere that the NY stuff was tougher than the Black Tusk missions, so I decided to venture out into DC and see if my character felt under leveled. It was slow going at first. So I’m going to just chip away at the DC stuff until I either finish all the missions and get a bit stronger or get sick of the city, then I will head to NY.

I’m not much of a min maxer, I just tend to use weapons and skills that I feel comfortable with until they are not doing enough damage. So I absolutely could be ahead of where I am, but I enjoy just ambling around the city taking in the sights. It really is a very nice looking game.

How are you finding the game currently? I was considering going back to either it, or Division 1 which I adored a lot!

That is how I played. Often when I wasn’t playing co-op I would just decide to, say, pick one corner of the map and walk all the way across the map to another corner. There’s a LOT to discover, just little cool things. They created a really nice world for exploring. I was in no rush to level up at all. For me, the best part of the game was the stages where I could level up, and thus would be excited to find a weapon case up on a roof that I found a sneaky way to get up on, because it could be better than the particular one I was using. Once I leveled up to the max, it got to the point where I lost all excitement about finding loot because it was never better than what I owned.

I liked D1 quite a bit also, I find D2 is pretty much more of the same. I played the first one single player for the most part, maybe 25% with some friends but the rest was just lone wolfing it and it was fun. My experiences with part 2 are similar, I’d say go for it.

I’m similar to you in that I need a “driver” to keep me going. But for me it’s not loot so much as I need some story. Doesn’t need to be much just some little nuggets of why I’m doing what I’m doing, which is probably a good thing with these games as the story stuff is pretty flimsy. The city is just so well rendered that it’s enjoyable to just walk from place to place.

I clocked goodness knows how many hours in TD1 and I simply can’t imagine giving similar hours to TD2. In TD1 I can hold my own in DZ and can solo any Legendary mission, going into TD2 means I have to start from scatch. Eff that.

So I went back to TD1 and never look back (or forward). DZ is still exciting enough, and I don’t mind carrying the team when I group with newbies. This is probably why WoW is similarly still alive after all these years, veterans just won’t let it die and it in turn will attract newbies.

I played D2 first, but after hearing everyone in the D2 forums go on and on about D1 my brother and I tried it. BTW - I only play PvE which means no Dark Zone. We’d leveled up to max (before NYC DLC) at the time.

There were things I liked about it, and things where I really missed the interface improvements of D2. However, what really kept me from spending a ton of time in D1 was the lack of loot. I remember finding a clever and hidden way to get up into a 3rd floor window and into an entire floor of a business, with multiiple rooms, closets, kitchen, etc. And there was practically NOTHING in there. Mainly a few pairs of pants and a hat or two. I couldn’t believe I’d found this secret big area and no weapons, no armor, basically nothing.

And it was there pretty much that way everywhere. Just not much loot to explore and find.

I enjoyed the battles, the gun play, but I never could find what was “better”. In the forums when I asked, OK, what is it all of you are talking about that makes D1 so much better? the answer was basically the Dark Zone is better and the replayable sewers.

D1 is better because it has Survival. Division 2 is an overall improvement but this is a glaring omission that kind of kills my interest in playing anymore.

Yeah, I just couldn’t get into D1 because of the scarcity of loot and thus it killed my desire to really explore the map. Maybe if I played D1 first I would have enjoyed it more.

THIS. Survival is like a different interpretation of Battle Royale. You can pick PvE or PvP, PvE is more cooperative. There is no artificial circle but the closer you get to the centre the better the loots are so there is still pressure to move.