The doctor wears white

He deals with human organs and biological processes, with disease and illness, and he wears white through it all.

Is white supposed to be the cured state? The return to the pristine? Is a human who doesn’t need a doctor supposed to be pristine?

White is the best color to contrast with red. How well blood shows up on a white robe.

Should a doctor not wear red? Should a doctor not wear the color that he lives in? Should a doctor’s office be pastel and white instead of red and brown?

Scrub that smock clean, to only become red again. Is that a fight against red, or a denial of it?

It seems that a human is red and brown, and only a less happy version thereof when he seeks out a doctor. Doctors, as people hopefully intimate with that humanity instead of outside of it, should reflect the same.

Good to have you back.

Guh? Most doctors I’ve known don’t wear white when dealing with “organs and biological processes.” Scrubs, dude. They wear scrubs.

I know a doctor who only wears expensive hand made Italian shoes. Go figure.

Scrubs are actually almost always green or blue-green, because the color is complimentary to red and helps reduce eye fatigue. Doctors often wear white lab coats when they aren’t in surgery; this is common in any field where cleanliness is an issue (which is why chefs also wear white).

So, yes: there are reasons why doctors wear the colors they wear, though “nutty philosophical imperatives” aren’t among them. “A” for effort, though.

You’d think the need for a sterile workplace would at the very least demand pants.

God you’re nucking futz.

IS waiting for with baited brea^h^h^h Listerined, minty fresh breath.

bah. Bated, I meant Bated

in my defence

It’s easy to mock, but there’s a real problem here. Bated and baited sound the same and we no longer use bated (let alone the verb to bate), outside this one set phrase, which has become an idiom. Confusion is almost inevitable. Bated here is a contraction of abated through loss of the unstressed first vowel (a process called aphesis); it has the meaning “reduced, lessened, lowered in force”. So bated breath refers to a state in which you almost stop breathing through terror, awe, extreme anticipation, or anxiety.

One day I will become gramatically perfect and smite you with my correct apostrophe and semi-colon usage.

Ew.

[size=0]Whoops five-character minimum![/size]

Yeah. And where have you been? The Basic Instinct 2 thread was much poorer for your absence.

I wear greens and cheap running shoes.

Against you: I refute the article by pointing out that while bate may be out of fashion, abate certainly isn’t, and familiarity with that word should ameliorate any spelling errors.

H.

Also the fact that “baited breath” doesn’t mean anything.

Wrong.

Is white supposed to be the cured state?

I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to a color (or the confluence of all colors, for you ahrte phagues).

The return to the pristine?

That’s wedding dresses.

Is a human who doesn’t need a doctor supposed to be pristine?

No, he’s supposed to be dead. Or a fish with a bicycle, or something,

White is the best color to contrast with red.

Curious George Learns to Fingerpaint is annoyed that you plagiarized its text, Brian. Here is your cookie and while you spend a few minutes figuring out how to eat it, I’ll point out that about half the colors on the spectral wheel contrast with white very well, and that it’s highly arguable whether or not white actually is the best contrast color for any color but black. Rules pertaining to contrast suggest blue-green is a better contrast, but YMMV (emphasis on the “Y”). Anyhoo, blood is nearly brown in hue, it’s so dark, so white makes a good contrast to blood red.

How well blood shows up on a white robe.

Fuck you, I’m not getting blood on my white coat - that’s why I only wore it in clinic. Whatever, you are almost grasping the point that it was not only easier and less expensive to make white-colored garments in them days, it was more health-conscious. White garments were free of color dyes and unclean white garments were easier to recognize by sight. By this time the color is indeed symbolic of something - but it’s symbolic of the way medical personnel used to dress, for the reasons I gave you. All that other purity philosophizing is a load of turtle squirts in regards to medicine, beyond the sophomoric, pre-Lister mode of thought where if something is white and spotless, it’s clean.

Should a doctor not wear red?

I don’t care if he wears a paisley clown suit, as long as he isn’t a moron. Also, plenty of docs wear red. They also wear black, blue, green, and so on. .

Should a doctor not wear the color that he lives in?

I dunno, is your shirt Cheetoes orange? Rather, was it Cheetoes orange when you bought it? Should proctologists wear brown? Neurologists grey? Gynecologists pink?

Should a doctor’s office be pastel and white instead of red and brown?

Ask the hosts of TLC’s Trading Spaces if you need interior decorating tips, Chauncey. WTF does this question have to do with anything else in this newest half-assed diatribe of yours?

Scrub that smock clean, to only become red again. Is that a fight against red, or a denial of it?

Are you smocking me? Nobody scrubs smocks anymore Brian. Surgical smocks are made of blue or green paper usually, and are disposable. It’s a denial of contaminating a sterile surgical field. It’s a fight against the nonsterile conditions which were the #1 cause of post-operative morbidity and mortality until the invention and widespread implementation of antiseptics.

It seems that a human is red and brown, and only a less happy version thereof when he seeks out a doctor.

Everybody take a moment and re-read that Krazy Koontz Kwote a few times. Marvelous, isn’t it?

Doctors, as people hopefully intimate with that humanity instead of outside of it, should reflect the same.

Why? I’ll bet anybody 20 bucks he never actually answers that.

And they also need to trim their hair into a nice little triangle.

Everybody take a moment and re-read that Krazy Koontz Kwote a few times. Marvelous, isn’t it?[/quote]
I think Brian is more brown than red, though.