The Dominions 4 Thread of Multiplayer Stabby Stabby Ascension - 2014 Edition

Not sure what you are seeing, but plainly my scouts have missed all the excitement.

I do have to note, though, telling everyone that two nations are only a province away from your capital is like telling fat kids that there is free ice cream in the other room. Except in this case, one of those fat kids is a fat little Japanese demon with a bunch of mates.

You will see. You are one of the ones getting a message this turn :P.

woohoo, i wasn’t one of those that pissed off caelum(yet)!

#popcorn

Hosting postponed for qt3TeamGame by 24 hours. The game will now host at 20:49 GMT on Wednesday April 26th.

WR2 - Caelum I have responded to your message. You can have what you want… for a price! MUAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

And some open diplomacy!
Nazca - “The white dog barks at midnight.”
Eiru - “Looks like you’ve been missing a lot of work lately.”

I need this. [quote=“pyrhic, post:3599, topic:74012, full:true”]

Just a reminder who’s who…

…also, a quick note that we’re officially declaring war on Shinuyama because they are clearly mongers of war! Who else would steal my mercs on the first round?! This was my world. These were my mercs. I clearly left them there for my descendant to have! And by seizing them, Shinuyama obviously is planning a campaign of wayward aggression towards us all!
[/quote]

More diplomacy!

Eriu, you are absolutely right. Yes.

Also, the hamburger flies at midnight.

-TC

Things that never happen in test games:

Madman randomly spawns, decides he doesn’t like my temple.

Three or so turns of site searching with more than one guy…finally found ONE site.

You can’t FOOL us with your Perkins-style LAMENTATIONS

You want a lament?!?!? HERES MY LAMENT-

I hired as a mercenary a Destroyer of Worlds - she was sooo hawt, both air and death, baby, let me tell you, she rocked my world.

And then she left me, and shacked up with some ape with a lot of bananas.

Regarding the Team Game, in the face of overwhelming odds, our side has decided to resign.

That’s it? Was thinking your youngster could learn from the battle and use more mages/spells. I do think the map is on the verge of tipping, but still…

Ya, that’s it.

we lost a major battle due to a glitch and his turn’s orders not posting…that one battle lost about 80% of his battle chaff and combat units. I don’t think it’s recoverable…

Sucks to hear that the orders didn’t go through. I was so surprised that Bandar took no mages into the battle. Can we roll back the turn and resubmit?

I guess that’s the thing with team games. One or two major battle losses tends to be game over and the newbies playing don’t experience Dominions in its full glory.

We could, but there’s no rolling back that we know about the global youre about to cast. Nor could we reroll an extraordinarily fortunate lightning strike that hit and killed a highly specialized, equipped, and stealthed commander of mine. And, as you know, rollbacks are inherently risky anyways…

It’s up to my team though, and while we were unanimous in the concession, maybe they’d feel differently about a rollback. What say you?

Personally, if the interest is in to continue, i’d forward that I’d rather start a new new-player game and concede this one, rather than try to continue this one…

I agree. I think this game was the longest disciples game I’ve been in, and that’s largely due to the peace timer with the Pretenders. In comparison, the first WildRide game went for 100 turns, and even then it was tense until the end.

I’ve made a few points in PM for our team to consider, but in general, I am opposed to doing so and would rather a new game. I’m sure there is plenty to debrief on that I think has plenty of value to new and old players (and idle spectators) as opposed to fumbling around with mid-late game spells and army composition.

On the team game, my biggest concern is what is best for the new players and their learning and to keep them interested in the game. If they want to continue playing some multiplayer and start a new game, I am all in and would gladly play again, or assist in some way if we want to run a newer player only game. We may want to switch up some of the game settings, though, to keep it fresh.

I would also be fine continuing the current game if people decide to.

Idle spectator here, reading with interest…where are the new player posts on this?

I’m one of the newbs on the resigning team, and I’m fine with throwing in the towel. I greatly enjoyed the experience of my first full Dom 4 MP experience and really appreciate the help I got. The depth of the game is mind-boggling, and its great this community has veterans who want to help.

Rolling back is never a good idea. I also am fine resigning because a) in-game, Marignon was poised to trounce on my Ass-phodel, and all I was doing lately was turtling; and b) in real life lately I’ve been incredibly busy with little time to devote to each turn.

I’m not sure how the newbs on the winning side feel. I know @geggis is also fine with resigning (he said by PM). I think we got what we wanted – a lot of hand holding that we’d never gotten on our own, in MP or SP. And, it was relaxed and enjoyable!

So congrats to the winning team and thanks again to @Akaoni for running the show!

Sorry for the late reply, just got back from work.

I think, folks, I’m going to have to call it a day on Dominions 4, at least for the time being.

I was concerned initially with the sprawl of races, units and spells and while they’ve certainly remained intimidatingly vast, it’s mostly the UI and controls and visible information that have frustrated me and made almost everything feel like work rather than play. It seems that which ever way you cut it there’s a lot of micromanagement involved and coupled with all the other moving parts it’s a lot to process.

Certain hotkeys like Ctrl+1/2/3 etc. to copy orders were a god send (cheers @Strato!) but otherwise I found myself almost chasing my tail because I kept thinking I’d forgot to do something important before ending my turn.

And the thing is: I’d had a largely uneventful 40~ turns recruiting my sacreds and casters for research (at the expense of site searching). It was only when Ashdod rolled into town that I realised that despite (what I thought was) spamming Yogis and Gurus, I was behind on research so I didn’t have much choice but to stay in my hole and try and reach Antimagic to counter what I was told was going to be ‘Shadow Blast spam’, hahah. My god, did that hit hard in that last battle. I had to quit the replay it was so grim!

My potentially most active turn, where I was planning to attack Ashdod’s fort near White Waste, (some time ago now, back when psyanojim was playing I think) I staled my turn because I read the date/time wrong on the turn email. I was very annoyed with myself for that. I was amazed how that seemingly small mistake lost me/us a lot of ground because after that Ashdod’s fort was secure enough to force me to retreat back to Baccar–or BACKARGH as I chickened out. After that it was a bottleneck filled with ugly giants.

I’ve got to say a big thanks to @psyanojim, @Strato and @pyrhic for their help. I’m incredibly grateful for your patience and direction. Sorry I’ve not come out the other end of this with more enthusiasm or thirst for more, but I’m really glad I gave it a shot and that you folks have been more than willing to help a noob out so much. Oh, and thanks @Akaoni for arranging this, it’s much appreciated!

You never know, I may return, but considering how much time I spent playing this one game (and doing the map! Ooof, that was a weekend right there!), it’s time I think I’d rather pour into other strategy games.