The Dominions 4 Thread of Multiplayer Stabby Stabby Ascension - 2014 Edition

Sorry to hear it Kelan.

Wish I could play, but too much real life and not enough spare time.

And theres no such thing as ‘a little bit’ of Dominions, at least not for me, it always seems to take over my life after a few turns…

I’ll join

I’ll play a game. Which Era?

Sorry to hear that Kelan, hope you are pulling through.

Much like Psyanojim, if I play Dominions, it seems to occupy all my waking time, which is bad for work, life with significant others, having a life outside the house, etc. “What if he moves THERE with his army? What if he teleports in someone?” Its MADNESS sometimes, I tell you!

Regardless, I am more than willing to help set up a game, but do not have the time to play. And I am still waiting on pyrhic’s final parts of his AAR. I want to hear how the combined attacks of evil monkeys, arcane monkeys, flyboys, and japanese demons were fended off by the Sidhe.
Because, I had no vision on most of that stuff.

Bump just because I keep seeing the Dom 3 post ;)

With this being on sale for 8 bucks (CoE4 too!) this weekend, I finally took the plunge and threw down with the god fights. Will keep checking this thread for the above-mentioned “noobs serve the vets” throw down :)

Yes, I’m interested also.

Good deal. @Akaoni are you still willing to help us set up a game? I would play.

In the meantime, perhaps people can throw out a preference on Age to play in and whether they are interested. I don’t really have a preference on Age myself.

I really did like that idea of a map where we could have two sides where each person could have their own area to work and expand in and then have a middle ground where the main battles would occur. The one Disciple game we had was a little rough when people could get surrounded by the enemy team and made it hard on them. That can be the nature of the game, but the idea above was intriguing if there is a map that supports it.

I suppose the other option is to take a standard map and set static starting positions to group and cluster each team near each other, but that may be hard to do depending on the map.

For now, though, we can try to come up with people interested, get a count, and decide on general game settings perhaps.

I am willing to help set up the game.

So from what I see:
Vets:_________________Noobs:
Strato________________geggis
Kelan_________________tylertoo
Pyperkub_____________DeForrestation
----------------------- Canuck

What we need from everyone:
Preferred age, possibly a map recommendation.

If you guys also want me create a map like DireAussie mentioned above, we could have a team game. This would not be a disciple game, but it would be two (more?) teams trying to take each other’s throne.

I will, of course, set it up on the llamaserver.

Sorry Akaoni, I have to bow out. My second child was due last thursday, and so I think my free time is going to very limited now.

Valanis, much as that map annoys me, has the potential to be divided neatly in half with the river running horizontally through it.

Based on the game description, is it going to be like a MOBA where there are two thrones on the map, and we have to take the opposing one? I like that idea if that is what you were thinking.

Preferred age: given newbies, maybe middle?

I think @Canuck picked this up recently too around the same time I did. Don’t know whether there’s a spare vet! :-)

Yes, Strato -

If you guys want a team game, i was thinking exactly like a MOBA, with the capitals near a throne that they need to protect. Perhaps those 2 thrones are level 2s and there is a scattering of level 1 thrones around. Mountains or something to cut the map diagonally, and to channel attacks.

Legowarrior - sorry to hear you have to bow out. But wait, with an infant on your hands, you will have plenty of time during the late nights where you will be up, barely able to move, except for a hand on a mouse! Dominions is PERFECT for that! Except for all the thinking…um…yeah. Anyways, early congrats!

And newbies, just a heads up. Generally, these will be a turn arriving via email every day or so for the first 20 turns. And then a turn sent to you every few days. So the game can stretch out for quite some time, almost a year. We do take into account holidays, Strato’s unrestrained partying at Uni, etc etc. But this is not a game that is finished quickly. Well, unless you get stomped early, which does happen to some people.

Finally, I have no problem pitting 3 vets on a team vs 4 newbs. It still might not be fair to the newbies, having to fact the Patented Pyperkub Push, or the Kwick Killing of Kelan’s Kreatures.

I’m sorry, I misunderstood. I thought the plan was for a disciples game, with a vet paired with a newb, and the vet helps mentor the newb. I don’t have any interest in a team full of newbs, with all due respect to my fellow newbs. My goal is to learn the game better. If it is vets vs newbs I regretfully bow out. Thanks.

AH HA! I thought that was the case. I have to agree, tylertoo, it is not fair.

However, I have also heard from some folks that they dont want disciple games either. So we could do one of three things:

1. The basic: We decide on a map and and age, everyone round robin picks a nation, and you all play. Alliances and such are made during the game.
  2. Team: We have two teams, with a mix of vets and newbs on each side. Each player has a god/prophet combo, not a disciple game. There will have to be tight communication, since the game does not recognize teams in this sense.
  3. Disciple game, with the god/disciples worked out within each team.

Bear in mind, tylertoo, the idea is to have a fun game where you guys do learn. I was just playing along with DeForrestation’s ‘newb vs vet throw down’ comment above.

Thanks, I didn’t realize it was in jest. But so you’re clear: my issue isn’t whether vets vs newbs is fair. I just want it to be a learning experience for me and other newbs. I think the best way to increase the player base of what is a fairly daunting game is some mentoring.

So… I vote for #3.

If you guys need another ‘vet’/‘mentor’/‘whatever’, I suppose I can volunteer, despite the inevitable deterioration of my social life, relationships, waistline, etc

Given that I’ve only survived past turn 30 or so in the last 2 games, I think that should be the Patented Pyperkub Push-over…

:(

I will be able to play but I will likely be somewhat diaengaged due to lack of time and Civilization VI!