The Dominions 4 Thread of Multiplayer Stabby Stabby Ascension - 2014 Edition

Good deal. Just holler when ready and we can start testing on the map to see if anything pops up.

Right folks, here’s the latest .tga map with 255 white pixels in place. If we need bridges, let me know and I’ll happily pop some in :-)

In answer to the question of bridges - It was not my intention of putting any restrictions in, since it might impact one side more adversely than the other. So, rivers will not block movement. Each hex will have movement in all 6 directions, except for the borders (this is not a wrapping map), and the ones that are adjacent to the impassable mountains.

However, I welcome any thoughts towards using bridges in the “neutral” areas, in particular the swamp (great magic sites) that are in the middle, and have to be crossed to get to the non-throne heavy magic site (the circle of stones).

Geggis, I will be adding a couple caves in the mountains on either side, so we have all the terrain types.

Ahh, there is one cave in the north region in the middle already so I’ll add a few more elsewhere.

As for the swamps in the mountains, let me know what you guys think would be a good bridge arrangement and I’ll get them in.

Ok, I have created a map file for the game. This is for testing purposes, since we are still tweaking.

The map file goes (windows 10) C: users akaoni AppData Roaming Dominons4 maps

Of note: currently each side (Top and Bottom) have 2 mountains, 1 border mountain, 9 forests, 1 farm, and 3 swamps. There are 3 swamp and 3 waste in each side channel, and a bunch of swamp in the middle.
Geggis - there are 4 waste provinces on the Top, and 6 on the bottom, after excluding the side channels.

When you test the game- the map file looks for “Dom4Qt3map.tga” just rename the file by taking the spaces out of it.
If you are testing out nations, and you random, you must choose “random land nation”, because if the game randomly chooses and aquatic nation, it will error out, since there are no water provinces.

If you are testing out the disciple settings, you must choose Clustered start.

Two deserts added to the north and three more caves hewn into the remaining mountains.

Tried the .map file and it seems to work fine but I’m new to the game so I’ve no idea really!

Excellent, I have added the two deserts and four caves, and change the name and the description. You SHOULD be able to use the same link as above, as I overwrote the file in the dropbox link. Please let me know if it doesn’t work.

Geggis, what you are looking for in the game/map file is provinces that let you travel to a spot more than one hex out. Each hex should only be able to reach its immediate neighbors. In addition, each hex can only have a max of 6 move options. Also, if provinces are mis-cast as cave/desert/etc. There are only 2 farms since there are only two teeny tiny houses, for instance.

Ah okay, will take another look tonight. On first glance, the connections looked sound. Didn’t check out the terrain types.

Edit: and how do you overwrite Dropbox files? I’m not using the desktop program. I guess you just upload the same file and it does the rest? I noticed the ‘Previous versions’ menu.

Yeah, I just uploaded the same file. FYI, I named the map FORAVENIG, a (very) loose translation of the danish word for mirror.

Cool name! Just had a look at the map and made a few tile changes (some unmarked swamps in the south and a forest that was marked as a swamp) and a few tiles weren’t connected. See latest map below:

Alright, looks good to me. What about the teams? Thats what is important. Mysteriously, we haven’t heard from any of them for a while. What could they be up to?

Last weekend was for the map and this weekend I’ll be digging into everything else with a view to making some decisions with my team.

I did a play test of the map, with clustered starts, and it still put one nation on the top when it should have been on the bottom with its buddies. Has anyone else experienced that ?

Yeah, I have had trouble with clustered starts in disciple games at times although I think it was mostly linked to static thrones set in a map file where it would completely ignore them at times. We could manually set our starting positions and with you not participating could possibly set it up that way although we would have to make sure we didn’t inspect the map file to see where everyone was ;).

Maybe. I did restart a couple more times, and it only happened that once. I would rather keep the element of suspense.

Is team 1 ( Psyanojim, Strato, Tylertoo, and Geggis} ready to make their first pick?

Yeah, there can be problems with thrones vs start positions that sends the game into a spin. I’ve had that issue pop up with a couple of games now. If anything, I guess we do-over if it rears it’s head.

We’ll start with Pan please.

Excellent, MA Pan!

Team 2 ( DireAussie, Kelan, Pyperkub, and DeForrestation.) you are up!

Acknowledged! I just got back from a cruise ship holiday last weekend so havent had any time to think about our team picks yet. Our team will choose by the end of Saturday.

We choose Ashdod