The Dominions 4 Thread of Multiplayer Stabby Stabby Ascension - 2014 Edition

I see, its a ‘little incursion’ is it when you deliberately break the rules?

Not a blatant attempt to exploit a team with 2 new players who could easily have forgotten to put PD in a province?

Yes, I assumed that we could defend ourselves and retake territory. Otherwise we might as well just let the other teams Disciples walk straight into our Pretenders capitals.

But I’m not sure how your attempt to gain an unfair advantage could be seen as fair or legal under any interpretation of the rules.

I apologise, it wasn’t fair of me.

Hey all! Glad to hear that the game is heating up.
The intent of the "no offensive actions by the pretenders nation until he/she/it arrives " was meant purely to give some lull time to the pretender players. I phrased it that way so if a disciple attacked a pretender, the pretender can respond, but not initiate on the enemy disciple early. So if a disciple attacks the enemy pretender, he can respond totally, since it’s a counterattack on the other TEAM.
I forgot, is this pretender on pretender? I am stuck on a tiny phone right now…that would be a broken rule.
Obviously, I cannot impose a penalty on a broken rule other than direaussie buys the first round!
In all cases, however, I assumed that when a single rule was broken, they all are.
So, feel free to fight unrestricted now, both sides. Let me be clear- open war if you want.
I have bumped it back 72 hours, and set the timer to 50 hours, per psyanojim’s want of 48 and kelan not wanting a strict 24/48 timer.

No, this was a disgusting attack by the Pretender and his freakish giant mutants on the poor, innocent harmless monkeys of the Disciple Bandar

I hope you aren’t suggesting that we should suffer the consequences of the other teams rulebreaking? :)

To be fair, sometimes Giants don’t see the sea monkeys in the the way…

Well, I strongly suggest that Ashdod compensate Bandar with some gems or gold, to be negotiated between the two.

Other than that…

When is the turn due? I’m out of town but back Sunday night…

Looks like about 1pm PST.

Vanheim attacked Tien Chi this turn, so I’m thinking this is moot.

Vanheim didn’t attack anyone. Tien Chi discovered a scout. That is a massive difference.

Having a scout in a province hiding and retreating would under no circumstances have captured the province. What Ashdod did was a blatant exploit that would have captured the province if our players had forgotten to place PD.

Which could easily happen in a team with 2 new players.

Don’t try to squirm out of your teams shameful actions :)

Guys, sorry to have to do this, but I’m going to have to back out of this game.

I thought the rules were put in place to ensure a new-player friendly experience and limit time commitment and influence for the Pretenders, so seeing these strange interpretations is disappointing, and I can’t spare the time to deal with them.

Real life has got too busy, and doesnt look like getting less busy any time soon.

I’ll submit this next turn, and then a sub will be needed. Sorry!

Can we extend 24 hours? I apologize. Didn’t expect a turn due over the holiday weekend, but I can certainly submit tomorrow.

Is scouting with a stealthy guy considered an attack? Seriously? He got caught spying, is all.

Listen @DireAussie did apologize for the attack and we appreciate that. Let’s put this all behind us if possible. I urge @psyanojim to reconsider leaving. He’s been a great, great mentor to the newbs like me on our squad and has put in a ton of time teaching us in our group PM. I think he is hopefully only temporarily frustrated.

Playing in this newb-friendly MP game has been a great experience otherwise, and I do appreciate @Akaoni running things. This has been, for me, the best opportunity to truly learn the depth of a game that otherwise has been pretty obscure to me. I hope it continues.

Maybe a couple of days delay and a few deep breaths and we can push on?

With a simple scout, no. Not in any game of Dominions 3 or 4 I have ever played, going back around 10 years.

Next turn due: 21:30 GMT on Tuesday January 17th.

Psyanojim, I do hope your bowing out is a decision you have made over a period of time,and not a reflexive action. I totally understand real life -its why I cannot commit to the game either.

If you still think you have to bow out, then I will have to summon our backup (Conjuration, Level 8, requires 20 India Pale Ales, cast by a W4 bartender):
@pyrhic, are you still around? Your Dominions skills might be needed!

In regards to the scouting, and Pyperkub’s reaction, I think I know what happened. I hazard to guess that Pyperkub saw the battle report in the “news and events” screen, and did not look deeper.

For the team with 2 new players, I’ve been trying to make sure I explained absolutely everything we did and needed to do every turn, all the mechanics, reasoning etc pretty much from scratch

That has been 1-2 hours per day of commitment. And I was happy to do this, in the spirit of a new-player friendly game.

Exploits and rule-bending interpretations don’t fit that spirit for me. They just annoy me. So unfortunately I can’t continue that level of commitment - which is basically my entire free time atm

I saw it as a scout attack and was making a cheeky comment. Didn’t mean for it to become a thing.

Hey, please dont bail out :) On our side it is not an issue and we wouldnt have minded if Vanheim HAD intentionally sent a sneaky rogue hedge mages in as retaliation! It has been totally a non issue in our private comms.

It was my fault for not clarifying the rule initially…if any good has come out then it has demonstrated the great importance of at least 1PD for the newbies here. The rules are clear now and it wont happen again!

Yeah ok, apology accepted. I thought that your initial attack might have been some kind of prank/miscommunication, but two turns in a row on the same topic and I was thinking something different.

I’ve been feeling pretty sorry for myself the last couple of weeks tbh, with the lack of free time and suffering from a very annoying flu/cold.

The large time commitment for teaching the new players has been tough (but fun). Up until the recent rules-lawyering bit… I couldnt justify the thought of spending all of my free time on arguing about rules, it really p!sses me off! :)

So, I apologise too, and can I suggest that we pause the game for a week. I’ll still be struggling for free time, but at least this will hopefully give me time to kick this rotten virus!