The Dominions 4 Thread of Multiplayer Stabby Stabby Ascension - 2014 Edition

Here’s what we had for last game, taken from the Nov2015 post in the QTtheHill Thread.

Pyrhic’s Wild Magic Ride
3 provinces to start.
75 gold
75 resources
100 supply
max magic sites (75)
common random events
indie strength default (5)
Map Peliwyr (sp?)

(Nation Selection Order):

pyrhic ---------- (TNN)
evil steve-------- (Yomi)
belouski --------- (Pangaea)
botbaddict--------( Tien Chi)
akaoni ----------- ( Kailasa)
pyperkub----------( Lanka)
strato-------------- (Caelum)
direaussie----------( Atlantis)
otthegreat----------( Machaka)

(the below need to be agreed on or modified…please speak up if you have an opinion)
Thrones - 9 Level 1 Thrones. Not binding to win.

IN GAME COMMO ONLY

Win by seizing and holding 4 capitals (including your own).

dfs has already mentioned he is busy a bit further up in this thread, and I do not know about perkins.

I am ready for the new game. Just let me know what nation (or choice of nations) I have and final conditions and I can get planning/testing :).

It’s hard for me to know at this stage because this is literally my first stab at playing, and a multiplayer disciples game at that too! I don’t feel like much has happened for me so far despite the time that has passed and the care I’ve taken each turn.

As I mentioned recently in the Endless Legend thread, I’m relatively new to 4X so which ever way you cut it, I’m having to learn a lot and Dom4 seems particularly impenetrable for the genre so… yeah, it’s hard work!

That all said, I really appreciate all the help from @psyanojim, @Strato and @pyrhic without whom I’d be struggling a lot more. I think the thing that’s proving most difficult to deal with is just the sprawl of variables and little things to understand that aren’t necessarily explained in-game. Getting a confident ‘footing’ is tough when there are so many moving parts.

Anyway, onwards! This is all a learning curve and something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time so I’m glad to finally be involved, whether I keep playing in the long run or not.

If you have spare time, and have the desire, there is still a lot to be learned early on by playing single player games to get more turns under your belt and advance further through the research and power curve to test things out. If you do that and have questions, we are always here to help out and may make it easier as in the current game you probably don’t want to openly discuss specific strategies.

I think I may start a new game up soon, but currently waiting for a nation assignment in the new game so I can learn them a bit at the same time :).

For sure. I’ll see what I can do between all the other stuff vying for my attention!

I may as well join but I dont want Atlantis again :)

Its definitely one of the most rewarding strategy games out there if you are into deep, complex mechanics

But the learning curve is immense, for sure!

And yes, testing your cunning ideas in single-player mode is a very good idea. Although the AI really doesn’t prepare you for a strong human opponent, at least you can test out the mechanics.

Haha, thats how I often feel about the early game… if I’m not at total war by about turn 10, I wonder whats going wrong…

But then, some stronger late game players will often spend 30-40 turns at peace just building up their forces, site searching, researching etc… so it really depends on your play style

I’m having a blast. The experts on our side, @Strato, @pyrhic and, earlier @psyanojim, have been great teachers and I’ve learned a lot. The depth of this game is mind boggling. I do want to start some more SP games to uncover other stuff on my own. Thanks Akaoni for running this. Its been one of the best MP gaming experiences I’ve ever had.

That said, can I have an extra 24 hours in qt3TeamGame? I’m traveling all day tomorrow and won’t get my turn in before it flips. Thanks.

Hosting postponed for qt3TeamGame by 24 hours. The game will now host at 03:49 GMT on Sunday March 5th.

Glad you are liking it, tylertoo. One of the ways you could learn more, and not have the game right in front of you, is to read the After Action Reviews of other players. One of them, done by a guy playing Ashen Empire Ermor, is very detailed and a good read too boot. Even though his nation is very different from others, the analysis he does, and the way he watches the battles and learns from them, are good learning points.

Thanks!

Great idea, I will check it out.

I’m finding I really enjoy the sheer variety of weird stuff that can happen multiplies (get it) in the multiplayer matchups! It’s especially mind breaking when you consider that events and other misfortunes you may be on the receiving end of MIGHT be the work of other devious players and not just bad luck.

Also, I learned that sending an army with your Pretender is a “good idea” and to be careful when you are adjusting orders because one missed click and your warriors are standing still while their Disciple dies a province away ;)

Or strategic brilliance on our part :)

pyrhic (tick)
strato (tick)
akaoni (tick)
evil steve (tick)
kelan (tick)
Pyperkub (tick)
BotBaddict (tick)
DireAussie (tick)

ok we have 8 at present, with 7 WRIs. Any of the 7 WRIs want to take an MR replacement for EA?

pyrhic ---------- (TNN) = Eriu, Ys, or Man
evil steve-------- (Yomi) = Shinuyama = Yes
botbaddict--------( Tien Chi) = Tien Chi = Yes
akaoni ----------- ( Kailasa) = Pan (approved trade)
strato-------------- (Caelum) = Caelum
direaussie----------( Atlantis) = Bandar Log (approved trade)
pyperkub-----------(Lanka) = Nazca = yes?

I got a fever…and the only prescription is more cowbell! Err, I mean MONKEYS!!

Yeah, I will do Bandar. But THIS time, my build will not be for the birds! No, a secret plan must be formed…

EDIT- If anyone else really wants bandar, I dont mind. It just occurred to me that i have played kailasa, bandar, and patala in MP, so I have no problem if someone wants them.

Well who does, really? Good grief, if @Dave_Perkins were to play dom4 I might have to dust it off. Though I am safely way too busy until at least May. And I probably should be way too busy for dominions forevermore…

Aw that’s nice of you to say, @gruntled. But I don’t even own the game! :(

Forcing MA Caelum into the game restrictions is a tough one. I predict many hard decisions coming up!

Haha! I’ll take Bandar if you want an escape from the apes.

Done!

When do i get to pick of the left over races?