The Dominions 4 Thread of Multiplayer Stabby Stabby Ascension - 2014 Edition

yes, WRI only had level 3 thrones…five of them…iirc, we wanted the thrones to be tough to take…

how about we go back to the 5 level 3 thrones? they were interesting stategically, and caused some grief?

I had to re-read the threat ( Wylde Ryde 1 , but it looks like 5 is the maximum number of level 3 thrones you can have.

I am good with whatever throne count we end up with. The thrones did not impact me greatly last game, Perhaps a few level 2 and a few level 3? That way people might be tempted to take a level 2 early. Which might be a good or a bad thing, heh heh heh…

played a game with seven level 2’s and it was pretty good - there was enough room to space them out and not crowd the capitals. Level 2s do seem to fall without much effort though, maybe three 3s and 4 2s? I do prefer the level 3s because they can be very tough to crack, but we’re limited to five and if we do go with seven thrones, i feel we should probably have more 2s, so as to not advantage a couple of players by giving them an easy throne to cap nearby…

dunno, i can go anyway on this, so pls speak up…

I’m in Vegas for another day, so I won’t get my pretender in until Monday or so.

What are thrones.

Magic sites that are marked on the map. They can give dominion effects, bless effects and/or gems, but need to be claimed by a priest (H3 or higher) prophet or pretender. Also, thrones typically have an increased number of magic sites associated with them. Oh, and they are a new sort of of victory condition, but in this game, we are still using Caps, but having the thrones on the map is always interesting. Also, the indy’s that guard the thrones can be a little more challenging than normal (with level 3 at least).

Also you no doubt want this link http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

I’m for 5 level 3 thrones as per last time. they are a good measure, when taken, that a nation has acquired the force to take a capital

I prefer only having one level of throne in a given game, and in this case, it would be 3’s only. And I know very well from the last WR game that level 3 thrones are a tough nut to crack. Rain of stones + Caelum made for a bad day.

Thanks @strato!

I’m ready, if anyone could remind me how to join…

I have not set up the game on llamaserver yet, but when I do, I will post the name. (we need to confirm 5 level 3 thrones, and Pyperkub’s in Vegas, wont post bail till Monday)

Once you have that:
(taken from Shrapnel games thread )

Create a pretender god in Dominions. Don’t set a password, since for PBEM games they’re not helpful and occasionally annoying (e.g. if you need a sub)

• Go to the savedgames/newlords folder in the dominions directory, and find your pretender file (e.g. mid_pythium_0.2h)
  • E-mail the file to: pretenders[ at ]llamaserver[ dot ]net
  • Crucially, you must have the game name in the subject line of your e-mail

Thanks!

Am I the only one here frightened that Dave is ready already? Steam shows I have 500+ hours in Dom 4 and I played it quite a bit before through Desura, I believe, and I am not even sure what pretender I want yet :).

Dave’s process:

• Google “dominions 4 middle age man pretender”
  • Find a forum post where someone says “so you can make shrouds for ur crones and they can make air helmets and dirt boots for ur leglians and they can make a moss cap for ur tikmat who can then cast globals for 25% blah blah blah”
  • Take his word for it

I must admit that I have done that before, heh.

I used to pore over the various magic paths and make detailed plans! But I don’t want to hold everyone up.

I plan to at least work on my pretender/nation plans through next weekend. Depending on how much time you want to look things over, I would think you would have two weeks or so anyway before we kick off if you wanted to work things out more. On the other hand, maybe this will give some of us a chance? :)

If there is one thing I learned about Dominions, I should probably not publish AARs of strategies I like. I sigh every time I look at a spell I used to love and realize I used every one of them, and detailed how I used them, in an AAR I put out years ago. I know it is probably not because of just what I put out there, but it still bums me out all the same.

@Akaoni may we request a 24 hour extension? Prepping for the blizzard.

Edit: Scratch that request. Looks like I’m gonna get my turn in after all. Apologies.