The Dominions 4 Thread of Multiplayer Stabby Stabby Ascension - 2014 Edition

I just copied Mr. Evil’s message…i think you should be able to discern just who is in league with whom…

And thus you missed the ominous phrase:

Special Guest Star: Dave Perkins as Man

TALES OF PERKINS PART 1

I recall a game with Perkins as Man when, for the whole game while wars were raged and nations came and went, Perkins sat on 3 provinces and 1 gem site. Every time a horde would gather on his borders, he’d roll out the crones with walkers and a couple of guys on donkeys, and merely request, in his polite way, to “sit this one out.”

Then one turn, he took four capitals and won.

Quick question for qtWyldeRyde2:

Diplomacy in this game is via in game message system only?

I have encountered a neighbor nation with my scout so I can now start sending them in game messages, correct?

I may or may not have encountered Man and about to send a private message, “We hereby declare war upon your unholy nation!” Or not…

Bit of an unfortunate surprise is coming across an indy commander (priest) with a skull talisman merrily summoning undead. Never seen it in all that I can recall. Thanks Dominions for showing me something new and unexpected.

personal diplo by in-game messaging only. you can also conduct your diplo here on the forum, but we might read it

Don’t want our guest star to stale on turn three, so…

Hosting postponed for qtWyldeRyde2 by 6 hours. The game will now host at 06:39 GMT on Tuesday March 28th.

And no, that is NOT an attempt to curry favor with He Who Must Be Eliminated First.

Would I lie?

Wait, what’s the turnaround on turns? 24 hours? Thanks for delaying!

p.s. I got the turn file 20 hours ago, and there’s already a need to extend the time? Is it on an 18 hour timer or something crazy?

The in-game messaging system is a horror show of awfulness. Once we make contact in game, why can’t we use Qt3’s messaging system? Pretty please.

This is one of the quirks of pyrhic’s WyldeRyde universe.It’s broadcast or in-game only. It makes diplomacy a bit tougher to manage…

The game is on a 24 hour timer, but it was less than 4 hours to go, and I was not sure when I would be back.

What’s the purpose of making something more difficult to manage?

Got it – thanks!

You’ll get used to it? There’s something quite zen about the in-game messaging. Give it a go, and maybe we’ll revisit the question later?

Did they improve the in-game messaging so that it’s possible to, say, position the cursor so that you can insert text? Are messages saved so you can see them later, especially if someone stales a turn or forgets one turn to check the messages?

I etch them onto parchment with the blood of Maenads, watched by Harpies flitting about in my Eyre. Its a better system, but it does take some time.

Diplomacy requires more forethought and negotiations take a more realistic amount of time, I’d guess. It did limit the ganging up on someone in the first game.

Now we’re talkin! :)

If the in-game messages aren’t saved, then although I like the idea of diplomacy being slowed down, I would argue that it’s not worth the hassle. Just imagine that you spend 10 minutes typing out some detailed plan, only to have the receiver of the message forget to check his or her messages that turn?

It gets worse. Picture the EA game - Caelum and Kailasa together trying to plot together the downfall of TNN. The Caelum player is there, last person to submit for the turn, thanks largely to work commitments, tired from lack of sleep, and with TNN on his mind, writes a message to the wrong person. The thought crossed my mind immediately as I hit send to check and make sure messages are going to the right person.

Basically, I treat the comms system more as a anon game with that small release valve every now and then to just say stuff. I remember with the most recent anon game a year or two ago now it seemed like every man, woman, monkey and giant was keen to say something about the state of the game.

Ever since I started MP in the middle of Dom 3, I save every single turn file so I can revisit them so I won’t miss any at least :).

I’d argue that the limitations on communications enhances the game in the same way that only being able to script 5 actions to a commander does. Do you have detailed plans or instructions? You’ll have to balance whether its more important to be succinct or accurate. You’ll also have to decide on what’s important to include, because there’s also a character limit. If matters are urgent, you’ll need to make a call on whether to act on partial information and make assumptions and when all else fails you’ll need to make guesses. You’ll also need to describe events because there’s no magical screenshots either.

I won’t argue that the interface could be better or that some simple shortcuts could be enabled to make players lives vastly better, but i really dig that not only does it slow the game down a bit, but also that it puts actions and communications in the same theatre and binds them to make the entire play more strategic. I hope I can convince you to give it a try.