The Dominions 4 Thread of Multiplayer Stabby Stabby Ascension - 2014 Edition

Have you ever wondered how close you were to being Perkinized? Have you ever thought, just how long do I have before the Perkins Death Machine comes for me?

Well, wonder no more! For the low low price of a handful of gems or a larger amount of gold, the Harpy Outreach Team can tell you exactly where the Perkins is! By using our patented Calibrated Over Land Device, we will plot the Perkins and let you know how far you are from blades and arrows of Man. Relax as you can now plan your imminent demise, safe with the knowledge that you have at least a few turns until your inevitable destruction.
Operators are standing by, call now!

I’VE BEEN ON HOLD FOR A FAIR WHILE NOW!

Your friendly demon, Nick Cage

[quote=“pyrhic, post:3621, topic:74012, full:true”]
I’d argue that the limitations on communications enhances the game in the same way that only being able to script 5 actions to a commander does. Do you have detailed plans or instructions? You’ll have to balance whether its more important to be succinct or accurate. You’ll also have to decide on what’s important to include, because there’s also a character limit. If matters are urgent, you’ll need to make a call on whether to act on partial information and make assumptions and when all else fails you’ll need to make guesses. You’ll also need to describe events because there’s no magical screenshots either. [/quote]

It’s definitely a cool idea. But if messages are not saved, so that all it takes is a player not remembering to check messages, and your carefully crafted plans and descriptions are therefore lost forever, then I don’t think that I will bother with diplomacy, which is 90% of the fun for me.

Anyhow, I’ll give it a try until the first time that the system fails.

Meanwhile, since I didn’t use the messaging system last turn: @kelan, I got your in-game message, and told you that I would reply using Qt3 private message. I didn’t know that there was a restriction on it. So I’ll respond in-game on the next turn.

I can guarantee you that messages are not saved - at least not in the sense that you can look over a conversation from several turns ago. However you can load up old turns if it’s that important.

I guess i’m the opposite of you in a sense - i find the constant pms and strings in a regular game to be stressful. With this format i find i keep my diplomacy simpler, but in doing so there’s a lot more ‘room to play’. For instance, in a regular game, you might wonder at an omission of a term in an agreement, and through the course of 6 more pms, come to some understanding. In this format, figuring that out might take 5 turns so you need to make a call - is this an opportunity, and if so for whom? If you’re at risk, should you chance that this is an honest omission or should you act decisively in the grayness of the message?

added 24hrs to the clock - didnt want dave to stale

I was last to go on turn 3 and submitted my turn 4 immediately, so I am surprised that you had to extend the turn for me. Sorry about that.

I probably shouldn’t do this, but I can’t help it. You know those events you get where you get a free lab and a magic item? The magic item seems quite random and is normally not very useful. Well, this time the lab went in a province that is quite useless to me, but the item happened to be a Robe of the Magi! Lucky!

It may or may not be open for trading/using to the best alliance offer! :P

shall we move the timer to 36 or 48hours? we can still try and get these early turns in asap, but it’ll give us some more wriggle room?

Check this out:

THANKS GMAIL

So that explains it. I’ll try to convince Gmail that I do indeed want to continue playing Dominions 4.

a detailed snap of dave’s diplomacy: russian girls, reverse mortgages, free mags, and flash sales

Classic!

@Dave_Perkins

I am intrigued by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

And Kelan, I would be interested in that Robe of the Magi. I have, as they say, a plethora of nature gems if you are so inclined.

@Kelan,

I have sent a messenger by coach to the Inn in Kythis (108). He should arrive in ten days unless the rumors of bandits at Crusis Pass are true. Please send your own messenger there, so that we can initiate a conversation about the Robe that will, I trust, conclude before the turn of the century.

I can’t wrap my mind around this:

1. Dominions FOUR
  2. Attach file to email to submit your turn

@kelan, you found a Robe of the Magi, like… the one that boosts every path by 1?

Also, I just checked the score graphs. If I’m not mistaken, then all nine nations have taken the exact same number of provinces at exactly the same rate. That’s nuts! Hang on – every graph is the same. I’m only seeing my own data, I think. Heh, never mind. I guess we have data turned off?

Also also, I forget: can I “End Turn” and then come back to the game and continue making adjustments later? I know, it seems obvious that this must be true, but we’re talking about a game that we are playing in 2017 where we have to attach our turn files to a freaking email.

@Dave_Perkins Yes indeed. It can horror mark you, but it will be very helpful!

Yes, score graphs are off.

Yes, you can come back and finish your turn. Just wait to send the .2h file in until you are ready. I usually just do a Save Game & Quit, but End Turn should do the same thing in MP, I believe.

Just had this happen:

What a beautiful sight, and sites! Too bad it was in a test game.

Thanks, @kelan! I can’t imagine that anyone has the ability to buy that Robe from you this early. If it helps keep your good will, I will send a full sack of Deer Archer heads immediately as a down payment.

I made this in case anyone is interested to assist in diplo. I don’t like how bright my scanner made it, but it may still be helpful to some of you.