The Dominions 4 Thread of Multiplayer Stabby Stabby Ascension - 2014 Edition

Think I will pass on that kind offer for the throne. I guess its the one that gives you some blood slaves and a ton of misfortune? Hmm, I would be interested in trading gems for the blood slaves. It just so happens I have some nature gems lying around.

And whats up with @pyrhic, is he actually at war or just wistfully thinking of 99 red balloons?

Yeah, I could probably live with the curses and maybe the horror marks, but I am not willing to go with the added +1 Misfortune to my scales. Luck events are too important right now, or at least the chance at getting them.

I did manage to get a Soul Contract the last turn, though!

Hosting postponed for qtWyldeRyde2andAhalf by 8 hours. The game will now host at 01:41 GMT on Friday May 12th.

Bandar only had a few hours left, and I cannot remember which side of the world he is on. If I ever knew, come to think of it…

That was a bold strategy, Cotton. And it paid off.

Who is Cotton?

I have the same question Pyperkub.

Also, I’m willing to sell information on Pangea’s pretender if there are any takers. Sorry Akaoni but I’ll do what I can to make some coin. Also Akaoni, you really should feed it more. It looked a little hungry from what I could see. Why? Surely there’s enough land in your domain, alongside plentiful nature mages to have adequate supply wherever you want to go.

I don’t know who Cotton is either, but its linked to some internet meme. In this case, Cotton = Nazca.

And as for Ys feeling the pinch for coinage, I can relate. I specifically chose that pretender back when MAN was going to be in the game. He has been interesting so far, but in the long run, probably not as useful as other pretenders.

By the way, Strato, that’s a nice beach front home you have. But its a rather large number of troops to risk getting hit by lava, don’t you think?

I too give him props for execution and taking risks. What he doesn’t realize (until now) is that it’s all a part of his opponent’s plan! Haha! Yes, that’s the ticket. I needed to…free up some gold income! Yeah, that’s the ticket! That’s the reason!

I’m quite sure of it.

I figured out what cotton referred to after sleeping on it. However, since it would require having scouts there to know, I’ll keep my mouth shut for now.

I should write up how weird that battle was, mistakes both of us made.

I’m still trying to work out the “right” pronunciation for Ys.

Well I’m running down the road
trying to loosen my load
I’ve got seven Pretenders on my mind,

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she’s a friend of mine

Take it Ys-sy, take it Ys-sy
Don’t let the sound of your own wheels
Drive you crazy

Lighten up while you still can
Don’t even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand
and take it Ys-sy.

Edit: I regret not thinking of The Eagles when naming my Pretender.

Thats a nice revision of that song. Unfortunately Pan cannot lighten up with an army of ickythickys in the hundreds staring at us across a narrow river.

Beyond the adaption of song lyrics (poorly), watching research bars slide up and the TC/Nazca quarrel happening, is anyone else actually fighting? Things are quiet it seems. Too quiet? Can I expect someone to bust out Master Enslave in the first big battle?

not much on my end - every turn just hoping that my mediocre territory turns up something un-mediocre.

Oh, except for the silver sarcophagus i found a couple of turns ago - that was a barrel of laughs. And if performs as it did in a personal game i had, it’ll soon be laughs for everyone…

I was just thinking the other day about the lack of posts on the board. It follows the usual pattern in the mid game, where everyone is furiously researching a chosen path(s) and don’t want to give any clues as to what their strategy is. You start finding scouts in your territory more often, and even if there are wars, the participants generally don’t want to call attention to it- generally other nations don’t come in on your side. So, just when the game starts getting interesting, all talking about it stops.

It is a pity, since I am sure someone out there is racing for Queens of Elemental Air, while others are going up Conjuration for national summons. Still others are going for the artifacts, trying to get that dang Pocket Ship or the Pocket Lich. If I follow the traditional Pan research model, I should have Mass Protection, and then skip to Enchantment for Gift of Health, and then spam out tons of Vine Ogres to go with my Maenads.
I am sure that the Evocation school is not being neglected either, especially by those that rely on Thunder Strike. And lastly, we have those under the water…who research…Amulet of the Fish?

And speaking of mediocre territory - I have at least 2 Wells of Misery, based on the ever present death scales…

Well, to confound the conventional wisdom:

OH HAI me and Nazca are fighting so if anyone wants to invade Nazca now’s a good time, mmmmkay? I just kicked him out of a bunch of provinces and laid waste to a temple so clearly he’s reeling and now is a good time to strike Yup stabby stabby him in the back ‘n’ stuff. Most definitely, now while is attention is fixed on me!

:D

I could. I mean, there’s nothing really stopping me. But that seems awfully unfair. Y’know, I could jump in on Nazca, then Nazca calls in someone else to jump on me, I call out for help, and next thing you know, it’s Year 4 and the whole world is burning while some giant mummy is strolling around spreading pestilence and disease. I said I’m staying out of this war, and I plan to see that commitment through.

Thats not what I heard. I heard that Nazca wants to attack you next, because the undead are the easiest way to get into the sea. And right now in the early part of the game, no one else can, so it would just be Ys vs Nazca. Crippled by the poor income of the oceans, Nazca can walk right over the weak PD that Ys has. Nazca then confided in me that he intends to preach Ys into extinction rather than assault a home castle with fire breathing cavalry.

BUT I also heard that Bandar and Caelum were in talks to cripple Nazca, and the roll up Tien Chi. With sneaky monkeys and map move 3 flyers, the FROZEN BANANA team could take over most of Nazca in a turn or two, and then subjugate the few remaining provinces at their leisure.

BUT WAIT! A flying monkey told me of a plan by Eiru to stealth several armies of thugs and slingers onto the Ys island. Presumably guarded by a massive indie throne to the north, Ys would never expect an attack from that direction. Then, Eiru would be able to attack Ys from the north and south, raiding and sailing to take out any province that offers resistance.

HOWEVER, a butt scratching demon whispered plans of attack while he was sipping grog. According to him, demons were going to attack Pan, marching a massive army up the coast, crushing everything before him. With massed archers, fire, and cold, the minotaurs and satyrs would be defeated before they ever got close.

THERES MORE! A drunken Seraph told me that the current struggle between Nazca and TC is a sham. The combat is to merely gain experience in how to place armies, and script them. Once they are satisfied, they will fall on the unsuspecting neighbors, who have been lulled by the fighting. Truly this is the real reason for the fighting we see today.

Ys has an island?! Silly monkey…

You know I don’t have any fire breathing cavalry defending the home capital right?

Also, this supposed island of mine? I would argue that it is merely the seafloor that has managed to rise above the sea surface at a particular point. Definitely not an island! Nope, not at all…

Seems fair to add also that by playing an underwater nation, I need to incorporate some underwater theming to my gameplay habits. So I pushed aside the local Rum and have unleashed the Kraken. Not the most amazing drop, but still delicious.

Hmm, speaking of Kraken - Conjuration 3, W3, 3 water gems… Hmmm…

Sounds like fancy sushi…