The Dominions 4 Thread of Multiplayer Stabby Stabby Ascension - 2014 Edition

Oh, 66% off at Gamersgate today- shocked.

I just wanted to announce here and officially, lest any of you get the idea that I’m a hapless newbie, that I MEANT to get both my expensive mercenary company captains killed, thereby losing the majority of my combat power. You see, I planned it all from the start.

digs around in desk

See? right here on this sheet of paper - “Turn 7, get both mercenary captains killed as ostentatiously as possible”.

Just so ya’ll know you’re dealing with a tactical and strategic genius, and NOT to come after me immediately.

Haha! Unbeknownst to you, that the exact strategy I’ve been pursuing. If I get my way, the independents will control every province by the end of the game. Power to the people!

Oh ho! So it seems thither and BotBaddict have stolen pages from my playbook! Let the Indies win.

Well, I’ll show them! Are they willing to take it to the next level? I think not.

Swear fealty to the Indies and work for them!

If there’s a newb game starting up I’ll join. I played a few dozen or so hours of dominions 3 so I’m not a total newb but I was never very good and it’s been a while…I usually am good for at least a turn a day but slower is fine too.

Anyone else getting crashes from the Dom4 client? I’m running the Mac steam client, and every time I load the Turn 8 file I got back from llamaserver the game crashes out. Trying to gather more useful info now.

Also, steam went ahead and updated my game to 4.04 for me while I was messing with it, but that didn’t change the crash behavior.

Aha. Running with -d, I see this in the log output:

Något gick fel!
Dominions version is too old
Get an update at www.illwinter.com
myversion402 fileversion404 nation38

I guess steam hasn’t updated with 4.04 yet after all? The same log output claims I’m running at 4.03b (the public retirement build, I suppose). Anyways, I’ll try getting the latest build from Desura instead - glad I bought it there instead of on Steam.

Well, I can’t download anything more recent than 4.03 from Desura either, and that version also CTDs with the same error. None of you guys have had this problem, I take it, since everybody but Vanarus and me have submitted turns successfully?

…and Steam just updated Dom4 to 4.04 and I can open the turn file now. Sorry for all the noise. I’ll go back to making the world safe for independents now.

What? No no,victory is the object, whether over independents or over fellow Pretenders. Losing to the indies is a ridiculous plan.

The key, nay the secret, my fine friends, is for your troops to take massive losses while conquering the indies.

Clearly I am an advanced Dominions player after all.

Glad I didn’t suggest you guys bump up the indies to 7 during setup, like we normally do around here in Dom3 games…

The indies are clearly the victors in this game. A horde of 20-odd heavy cavalries occupy the only decent income province next to my capital, and in another 3 evil blood mages with 30 enslaved virgins are plotting the destruction of Vanarus. On top of that my lands are riddled with wicked witches who curse my provinces with misfortune 3. It’s supposed to be a place of unicorns, leprechauns, rainbows and pots of gold!

You definitely have the wrong game! :)

or a nick that attracts misfortune 3. where’s that aussie spunk? as Lleyton is wont to say to his own hand… COME ON!

In Dom3, I remember Heavy Cavalry being deceptively strong in the early game. Rooting them out was an exercise in frustration multiple times for me.

Yep, Heavy Cav, Heavy Infantry and Crossbowmen can often be a pain to a fledgling army. Also, never, ever send your super combatant pretender against lizardmen, they are usually accompanied by an astral mage or two that will cast curse on the beefiest target at every opportunity.

Uhh Telefrog, what I was saying about Giant’s Rest was just a bit of fun. How about we call this recent turn of events a minor misunderstanding and return to getting smacked around by independents?

Sounds good to me, although I’m pretty sure the indies smacking me around would’ve happened anyway.

Can I request a pause in the game for a day?

I have to travel starting this evening and will not have access to a computer until Sunday morning, so if we could turn off the timer for 48 hours I would be appreciative.

Note that I’m talking about Turn 13 here – I have submitted my turn 12, so that can run whenever.

A pause is totally fine with me, personally.