The dreaded blue screen of death

If I remember right these are sata drives any way to check that?

One thing that keeps on bothering me, when my computer goes to boot down it takes about 15 seconds to save the settings vs the 1 or 2 it took before I updated the new video drivers. I just checked disk defrag and both drives look like they need to be defrag. Could that have an effect on that or is something else off?

One thing my friend did was just install the new nvidia drivers over the old ones I’ve had. I’m wondering if I should uninstall them and run the installer again.

edit: If these problems were related to the video card does that mean I may have to swap it out yet again? Is EVGA a quality card manufacturer or is it bad luck, or something on my end?

IDE/SATA controller failure, sounds like. I’m guessing you have an IDE DVD/CD drive, and I’ve actually been where you might be right now, a few years ago. The IDE controller on the mobo went bad, but after borrowing a PCI IDE controller card and connecting everything to that, it all went away. Unfortunately, this is a symptom that your mobo is failing. The IDE controller may be the first part, but it’s not the last.

Bottom line: upgrade. New parts. This does happen to PCs, unfortunately. It’s not like the 360 failure rate, but a really old PC is most likely going to end up failing – and it’s usually the memory, or the mobo. If it’s just one IDE port failing, do you have any others you can plug your optical drive into? It’s a temp fix until you buy new hardware, but it may last – I had an IDE controller fail on port 0 but because it had 4 ports, I was able to use the PC for 3 years before the FSB finally failed.

You may yet be able to recover and get some life back out of it. Error free, of course.

edit: EVGA are great. I had an EVGA ATI 9800 Pro back in the day, and the moment it started displaying corrupted video, they replaced it for free, out of warranty. They have the best customer support I have ever seen.

Update: whatever is going on is back. Even after uninstalling the video drivers the computer did not boot up. With the computer booting up normally I’m seeing the CD rom error again.

My CD RW and DVD rom drive along with my sound card are the oldest parts of my computer, the hard drives both SATA are at least 4 or 5 years old by now. When it says Cd Rom error is it refering to the hard drive or the CD drive?

Multiple errors all occuring at around the same time period? It definitely sounds like your motherboard is on its way out.

$10 says the next thing to go is USB functionality.

The CD-Rom error I’m only seeing it on the time logs when the computer actually boots up. Now is it normal when you run in safe mode without networking for the various networking features to show up in an error log?

At this point is it safe to say that the video card is not the problem? If I completely uninstall the video drivers and the display drivers in safe mode and reboot and it happens again does that clear the video card?

And since I might as well be asking about it now, what should I look for in terms of a mother board? My mobo right now is PCI I believe(will have to check when I get back). Should I consider just buying all new memory if I need to get a new mobo?

Sign up for newegg’s mailing list. You are going to want to upgrade the cpu and memory while you are at it, and they have decent combo deals. For example this amd and this Intel

Computer worked fine last night, turned it off and it’s back BSOd again. I haven’t checked to see if the CD-Rom error is coming back. One suggestion from a co-worker was to pull the power cord on the CD drive and see what happens.

My CPU is an AMD 4400 X2 processor, is that still considered good?

Well, it’s about 2 generations behind, if you consider the intel Core2 and i7 series. It’s 4+ years old. But it’s not a P4 or anything terrible, I still run a machine that has a 4800 X2 and it performs well enough for most things.

But it really sounds like your mobo is just toast. You’re due for a hardware upgrade, I think.

I feel pretty comfortable ruling out your video card at this point. Video card errors usually don’t incite a BSOD before Windows boots up.

Same Pogo, if the BSOD happens when there aren’t any display drivers or video drivers on the computer then that rules it out. Basically my parts in order from oldest to newest goes: soundcard, CD RW rom Drive, DVD drive, mobo, memory, processor, video card.

I’m still using an older keyboard, speakers, and monitor but I’m more concerned about the tower right now.

Safe mode is loading up consistently every single time?

Definitely load up safe mode and remove audio drivers and video drivers. Reboot and see if you still get problems.

Also, go into BIOS and disable your onboard sound if that’s what you have.

And next time you get a BSOD, write down the exception fault and post it here. It will be a long string, but do it.

The only problem with the BSOD is that the screen basic flashes blue for about 1 millisecond then reboots. I can’t even make out the fault when it comes up. Taking a look at the event log the Cd-Rom error is showing up whenever the computer actually manages to boot up.

I’ve already tried video drivers completely removed and it’s still happening. Whatever is going on seems to happen randomly as right now I’m posting from my computer that managed to turn on without a problem.

Hmm… there’s a setting in BIOS which prevents automatically rebooting on system error, I think.

it’s not in the bios, it’s in windows. Don’t remember where but it’s easy enough to google.

Yes, you’re right. Thought it was in BIOS.

Update: Pulled out the CD-Rom drive power cord last night, booted down and the BSOD is still happening. I haven’t gotten on today yet to check the event log. A friend of mind wants to try something about a special way of restoring windows. If it’s not that then he says it could be the motherboard or the hard drive at this point.

Another update, with the CD -rom unplug I could not turn on the computer without getting the BSOD. I just plugged it back in and it loaded up without a problem. The Cd-Rom error is still showing up in the event log. What the hell does that mean now?

What ever is going on seems to be random. I’ve had times that I turn on the computer and it works or if I leave it rebooting it eventually turns on. I’m now getting a Norton alert about it finding a Trojan virus. How do I get rid of it?

I’m still very certain that your motherboard is fucked and irreparable.