The Dress - white & gold or blue & black?

Come on. You’ve seen it by now. It’s the picture of the dress that’s tearing the internet apart. Is it white & gold or blue & black?

Science here: http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

That dress in the picture is blue/black (or blue/navy blue, whatever). But the one in the link shows it’s white/gold, so I guess… you can edit the photo to be any color you want? I don’t get it? Hey, what color is this dress:

No.

For me it was clearly white and gold, though after studying it for a while it became apparent that there was a blue tinge to the white which I was interpreting as a trick of the light. I.e., I saw it as light blue and gold but wrote off the light blue as a trick of the light and assumed it was a white dress.

I still don’t know where people get black from though.

#teamblueblack

So if I print the picture in the OP and show it to 100 people, some will see a different color? So these people are always seeing blues and blacks as whites and golds and vice versa? I don’t understand what this discussion is, I think.

Here is a picture of the dress from the actual online shop

Here is me:

White and gold. there’s a hint of blue to the white but the difference between the balanced photo and that is considerable.

When I follow that link the dress is white and gold for a brief few moments then as the page finishes loading it’s blue and gold. I don’t see they mystery here. Other than the page may be somewhat broken and showing some folks a different image.

Yes, different people will perceive the image differently. Indeed, the same person can perceive the image either way, although it’s difficult to change your perception once you “see it” as one color.

I literally see it as a white/gold dress and then it changes to and stays as a black/blue dress, like the web page is loading the wrong image at first. I recorded my screen when I click on the link to demonstrate.

I posit that if someone is seeing it on the official site nKoan linked as white/god it’s just not doing that thing where it replaces the image with a blue/black version. It’s not much different then if you go to order a t-shirt and can select what color you want along the side of the order sheet and you can see the shirt change color, sort of.

It’s getting harder and harder for me to see white and gold anymore. It’s like a memory that is fading away. I still remember the dress as it looked when I first saw it but when I look at that dress, I don’t see the same thing anymore. The memory of the dress still drives me to believe that what I once saw is still there, somewhere, ready to be seen again at a moments notice. But, maybe it’s time for me to accept that the dress has changed, and possibly, I have changed too.

Thats not whats happening.

I showed the above image to my co-workers - 4 of them said it was black and blue, and 2 said it was white and gold. The same picture on the same screen, at the same time.

The change you’re seeing is just due to the fact that the web page can display different color options for the dress… you’re just seeing the white/black version first (although it’s interesting that you are perceiving it as white/gold).

What folks are talking about in this thread though, is that the blue/black combination is perceived as white/gold in a particular picture, largely due to the poorness of the photo and the lack of color context.

Okay, what the fuck, now the dress in this very thread is white and gold and it was blue and black before. This… I … what.

Sorry, yeah, white/black. I thought we were talking about the original image that nKoan linked…

…which now everything has finally clicked into place. I get it!

I still have no idea how I could be seeing it blue/black initially and now I suddenly see it white/gold, same damn picture (the one Telefrog led with at the top WHAT THE FUCK it’s blue and black again as I scrolled up to make sure I spelled his name right!?!!)

It’s funny that people are getting so het up about this. When I saw the image, (which, for the record, is actually bluish and goldish, as per that wired article), I immediately assumed it had to do with contextual clues about lighting and white balance, since it’s clear that the image has some serious backlighting issues. It’s obvious that the “white” is blue-ish, which you can then interpret as white by that lighting context. The gold/black is a little harder to parse, for me at least, but it’s darker than the blue-white, so I figured, yeah, I can see how that’s black, since it’s darker than blue.

It’s just really wierding me out that I am seeing it alternatingly as both. Every time I look it’s the other way. At least my image I made is staying green, it’s the only thing keeping me sane.

Here’s an interesting thing… From a BBC article, they post an image with the original picture, but with a photo of what the “real” dress looks like.

For most folks, seeing them side by side like this will immediately make the picture on the left take on a blueish tint, because your brain will start to more heavily weight that potential color combination (since it can essentially see different combinations with equal ease from the original picture, since there’s a lack of context)

Spoiler: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-1NW_4VIAALynE.jpg:large

The official store catalog image.